LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which Broadhead and Why?

10/29/19 @ 9:35 AM
ORIGINAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

This is going to be a long post, so if you aren't interested in a broadhead discussion, I suggest backing out now...

Welder Guy brought this up on the "hub blind" thread and I'd like to have a reasonable discussion about broadheads.  I know this topic has been completely beat to death, but I'd like to think as time has moved on, we continue to learn and I think it is worth discussing again.  

I've been bowhunting since 2006.  I did a ton of research then (I research everything I do to no end = blessing and curse).  I settled on Montec G5 broadheads.  I wanted a sturdy cut-on-contact fixed blade.  What drew me to the G5 is that they make a "preseason" version of their heads, which is just a dull version of the broadhead for practice.  I practice almost exclusively with the preseasons.

My results have been stellar.  Believe it or not, I've never clean missed a deer (or the 1 fox I shot).  I've only lost one deer so far in my bowhunting career, a doe in 2012.  She went down in sight.  I waited 30 minutes.  When I got to her, she popped up and took off.  It was user error, I hit her far back.  Hours of tracking later that night and the next morning came up empty.

Aside from that one deer, I have seen all but one of the deer I've shot go down.  And the one I didn't see, I heard crash and walked right to him without any tracking.

Because of my results, I've became a massive believer in cut-on-contact, fixed blade broadheads.  I cannot see a reason why NOT to use them.  The biggest reason is simple:  the deer do not react like you just hit them in the side with a baseball bat, causing them to run like crazy!  Three of the last four deer I've shot jumped, then WALKED 20 - 25 yards away from the shot and tipped over.  All three were double lung shots.  The one that ran was a heart shot, and running proved futile. 

Over the years, I've read HUNDREDS of threads about expandables.  Deployment issues, flight issues because one blade prematurely opened, deflection on bone issues, etc., etc.  Also, when you hit a deer with an expandable, they know it, and they are going to run as far and as fast as they can.  Expandables in my mind have 1 benefit:  they do leave impressive blood trails.  The issue I have is you will typically need the blood trail, because that deer is going to make it as far as it can.  I reject the concept that expandables fly the same as field tips as being an advantage.  Out of a properly tuned bow, a good fixed blade will also fly the same as field tips.  At least that's what I've been told!  I don't practice with field tips!

So what do you use and why?

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 83 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/4/19 @ 9:40 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER SINCE 12/19/10

I’ve always wanted to try the Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade heads but just never have. Maybe one of these years I will, just Leary of how they will fly out of a compound?? Another thing I’ve always wanted to use are some actual flint knapped stone broadheads, just think that would be cool. Those have worked for thousands of years! 

11/4/19 @ 7:37 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

I've heard of many and personally witnessed two bucks shot dead in liver,  no diaphram.  one expired in about 13 hours with a slick trick mag and one buck was hit dead red in the liver,  also no diaphram,  we jumped that buck 6 hours later.  We found him stiff as a board the next morning about 100 yards from where we jumped him.  that was a rage two blade.  

I don't care what head,  when it's JUST liver,  it doesn't matter.  you catch a liver and diaphram,  it's over quicker,  but when it's just liver you better wait till morning.  Even a doe,  they need some time as well.  Many lose deer because they think liver is a quick kill,  it's not.  I can be if the diaphram is compromised but if not,  they need 8 hours.  At the 8 hour point they could still be alive but will be so poisoned they can't get up.  Then you end the suffering. 

When you compromise the muscle separating the abdomen from the thoracic cavity,  death is quick. 

Broadhead type and broadhead style don't matter when hit in the cage and lungs, heart or liver are hit.  IMO,  people need to think "what head will save my azz when i hit the leg bone cause it was back or scapula"  NOT,  what head gives me best blood on a boiler room hit. 

Like many have already said in this post,  blood trails are all different.  a 4inch rage doesn't mean you will find 17 quarts of blood.

11/2/19 @ 6:08 PM
GillpillZ
USER SINCE 12/7/10

I shot a doe at 20 yards today. Thought she was broadside,  she was actually quartering to a little bit. I hit her a little further back than I'd like. She ran maybe 100 yards with a carpet of blood. When I field dressed her the lungs and heart werent touched at all. I hit her dead smack in the middle of her liver with the RAGE Hypodermic.  That's my 4th deer with them, the other shots were lung/heart shots.  I dont think she would of died that quick or layed a blood trail with the Montecs I used to shoot.

Rage 

11/2/19 @ 6:04 PM
GillpillZ
USER SINCE 12/7/10

I shot a doe at 20 yards today. Thought she was broadside,  she was actually quartering to a little bit. I hit her a little further back than I'd like. She ran maybe 100 yards with a carpet of blood. When I field dressed her the lungs and heart werent touched at all. I hit her dead smack in the middle of her liver with the RAGE Hypodermic.  That's my 4th deer with them, the other shots were lung/heart shots.  I dont think she would of died that quick or layed a blood trail with the Montecs I used to shoot.

Rage 

11/1/19 @ 8:15 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

Three blade Muzzy. I tried them when I first got back into bow hunting 10 years ago. When practicing with them they grouped well with the practice broadheads that came with them. Of the five deer I harvested with them four I saw drop or heard the crash in less than 100 yards. One I did have to trail about 200 yards but had a walk along blood trail. All were shot from a ladder stand at under 20 yards. My aim point was high on the ribs with the down angle of penetration going through the vitals. Three were pass thru and two were entrance wounds only. I now am stuck on the ground and sitting in a blind to hunt. My aim point is changed to mid rib or lower to work with the straight thru direction of penetration rather than the down angle as in a shot from an elevated position. Hoping these next two weeks provide a shot opportunity. 

11/1/19 @ 7:32 AM
badgerstatehunter
USER SINCE 2/6/06

Not all deer and blood trails are the same that is for sure.  The worst blood trail I've had on a good hit was with a rage hypodermic.  I was on the ground and hit it slightly above midway through both lungs.  An above midway exit will do that.  the cavity needs to fill up and then a lot of blood catches on hair.  That doe had an extra large amount of fat as well and it clogged the hole on entrance side.  Also, lung shot deer don't always bleed immediately.  It takes a little time for blood to start pumping out after it fills up.  Also, with lung shot deer sometimes most of the blood trail is coming out of their mouth.  A "good" blood trail isn't always the red carpet treatment.  I care more about type of blood than amount on the ground, even though a large amount makes it much easier.  On any broadhead most bleeding is internal if you hit it in the lungs.  If it is bright drips and spray or bubbles, good.  If it's splotchy, even if it's a lot, that's typically bad.  

11/1/19 @ 6:55 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

I agree with Icefish on that kill.  high hits take longer to bleed and most blood if any is from when they bound and push it out.  Not a BH issue.  

I personally wouldn't take a 30 yard quartering to shot like that.  That is where you'll run into issues.  you get one lung or just liver or just guts,  your 2 inch expandable won't do all that much for you.  Keep that in mind.  quartering to shots with expandables I wouldn't recommend.   A good fixed with a heavier arrow and put it right in the V and send it.  With expandables you have to stay away from bone,  so quartering to is not a great shot. 

congrats on your doe,  it worked out,  good for you.  be aware of the dreaded quartering to shot,  it's not that good of a shot.

10/31/19 @ 7:17 PM
IceFishBaby
USER SINCE 11/26/01

Ground and especially high ground the cavity has to fill before a good trail.  From a tree stand, exit is usually low and faster and better blood trail.  Not a Broadhead issue.

10/31/19 @ 5:58 PM
Btw567
USER SINCE 9/22/17

Recent experience.   I am trying rage 2 inch 2 blade Broadheads this year.   This morning shot a doe from a ground blind.   30 yard shot.   Entered a bit above mid point right behind the shoulder and exited about the 3rd rib from the back.   Completely sliced through the ribs on both sides.  She went about 60 yards and was done.  The only concern is that I had zero blood trail.   Internal damage was significant and obviously did the job quickly.   Not sure why no trail. Maybe the hit was too high.  I will keep with the Broadhead and see what happens on the next deer.  Nice to have one for the freezer.   

10/31/19 @ 2:20 PM
bass423
MEMBER SINCE 3/1/12

I am also a longtime bowhunter that has tried numerous broadheads over the decades.  I started out using Bear heads with bleeders and took many deer in the "old days" but technology has improved our tools so much since the 70's.  

I currently have been using G5 Striker in my Mathews compound (8years) and Grim Reaper X-bow expandables in my Horton RDX.  I feel that the increased speed of the x-bow makes for a good fit for expandables and while I have only hunted with it the past 2 years have been very happy with the results.  4 deer (2B & 2D) taken and all where complete pass-throughs and the deer expired very quickly, mostly in sight.  

When I use my bow, I feel that the fixed blade heads get me more pass-throughs than expandables.  I had two less than stellar experiences with the Rage products fairly soon after they hit the market (did not recover either the deer or the elk).  I am a firm believer that 2 holes are better than one for many reasons but loss of vacuum in the lungs is the primary one.  

My 2 cents on this good thread and discussion.  

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 83 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.