LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which Broadhead and Why?

10/29/19 @ 9:35 AM
ORIGNAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

This is going to be a long post, so if you aren't interested in a broadhead discussion, I suggest backing out now...

Welder Guy brought this up on the "hub blind" thread and I'd like to have a reasonable discussion about broadheads.  I know this topic has been completely beat to death, but I'd like to think as time has moved on, we continue to learn and I think it is worth discussing again.  

I've been bowhunting since 2006.  I did a ton of research then (I research everything I do to no end = blessing and curse).  I settled on Montec G5 broadheads.  I wanted a sturdy cut-on-contact fixed blade.  What drew me to the G5 is that they make a "preseason" version of their heads, which is just a dull version of the broadhead for practice.  I practice almost exclusively with the preseasons.

My results have been stellar.  Believe it or not, I've never clean missed a deer (or the 1 fox I shot).  I've only lost one deer so far in my bowhunting career, a doe in 2012.  She went down in sight.  I waited 30 minutes.  When I got to her, she popped up and took off.  It was user error, I hit her far back.  Hours of tracking later that night and the next morning came up empty.

Aside from that one deer, I have seen all but one of the deer I've shot go down.  And the one I didn't see, I heard crash and walked right to him without any tracking.

Because of my results, I've became a massive believer in cut-on-contact, fixed blade broadheads.  I cannot see a reason why NOT to use them.  The biggest reason is simple:  the deer do not react like you just hit them in the side with a baseball bat, causing them to run like crazy!  Three of the last four deer I've shot jumped, then WALKED 20 - 25 yards away from the shot and tipped over.  All three were double lung shots.  The one that ran was a heart shot, and running proved futile. 

Over the years, I've read HUNDREDS of threads about expandables.  Deployment issues, flight issues because one blade prematurely opened, deflection on bone issues, etc., etc.  Also, when you hit a deer with an expandable, they know it, and they are going to run as far and as fast as they can.  Expandables in my mind have 1 benefit:  they do leave impressive blood trails.  The issue I have is you will typically need the blood trail, because that deer is going to make it as far as it can.  I reject the concept that expandables fly the same as field tips as being an advantage.  Out of a properly tuned bow, a good fixed blade will also fly the same as field tips.  At least that's what I've been told!  I don't practice with field tips!

So what do you use and why?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 69 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/8/20 @ 3:46 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

Used Rage 2 inch this year.  Shot a doe and a buck and was impressed by the entrance and exit hole.   Doe went about 60 yards and buck went about 40 yards.   I also shot wasp 3 blade expandable for the past several years with no problem but the rage were impressive.

1/31/20 @ 8:25 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I tried Rocky Mountain warhead SS 1.5" this past fall and was very impressed with the performance. I made the worst shot I've ever made on a deer (hit liver) and was still able to recover the deer (after backing out for 12 hours). I can't wait to see the performance on a GOOD shot! Otherwise I have had great success with the Rocky Mountain Snyper 2-blade and 3-blade (no longer made). They are basically a RAGE, but the 2-blade has a 1 3/16" cut and the 3-blade is 1 1/8" cut. I shoot a Bowtech Assassin 28.5" @ 72# and almost always have a pass through unless I hit offside shoulder/leg. 

For fixed heads, I use Wac 'Em 100 gr. 3-blade. Only 1 1/32" cut, but even shoulders don't stop them! Have never NOT gotten a pass-through using the Wac 'Em heads, but prefer the blood trails and shorter recoveries of the expandable heads. YMMV

1/31/20 @ 5:17 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

I shoot Rage expandables out of my Barnett crossbow.  Every deer that me or my sons have shot with it have traveled less than 100 yards with an ample blood trail and they died within seconds.  The first buck I shot was angled away hard.  I put the crosshairs behind the ribs.  The broadhead cut completely through 2 ribs on impact , traversed teh chest cavity and exited in front of the opposite shoulder.  It knocked the buck down and it scrambled 40 yards before dying.

1/30/20 @ 11:14 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I have used muzzy trocar's for have a decade,very good forgiving,tough head.Be fore that phantoms,standard muzzies,thunderheads,black diamonds,savora, bear.Even made my own on a cnc lathe three to one diameter to length.Those were the days fun times.

1/22/20 @ 7:49 AM
brtn610
brtn610
User since 12/30/07

I’ve read back a few pages and agree with most of the stuff on here. I currently shoot Viper Tricks and Wac Em 4 blades interchangeably, and each one has done a fine job on deer. I prefer fixed heads due to better penetration. With my 26” draw, I won’t get close to the energy/momentum that someone with a 30” draw will have at a given poundage, so I am at a disadvantage out of the gate. 

I have seen some comments regarding choosing the fixed heads that fly well out of your bow. I highly recommend everyone purchase an arrow spinner like the one in the link below. It will show you whether or not a broadhead spins true. If there is any wobble at all, either due to the broadhead itself not being straight or your insert being out of square, that broadhead will likely not fly as well as a field point. If your setup is in tune and the broadhead spins true, it is going to fly well.  My spinner helped solve some headaches when trying to set up a new bow 3 years ago.

Arrow Spinner

1/21/20 @ 1:55 PM
bass423
MEMBER since 3/1/12

G5 Striker because it is simple, flies great and does the job of blood letting well.

1/20/20 @ 6:05 PM
MattG
User since 2/4/13

Crossbow and Hoyt compound. I use the different shear pins for the different arrow or bolt.

1/8/20 @ 6:18 PM
MattG
User since 2/4/13

I use Thorn Broadheads.  Truly shot the same as my field point and can use the actual broadhead as practice head.

11/4/19 @ 3:49 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I say this as someone who shoots rage hypodermics. Most people should not shoot mechanicals. They are for proper setups.  I've never had an issue with the collars but believe they also confuse some people.  They need to be screwed onto the tabs facing up.  I've heard of people putting them in slits or upside down.  When u screw it tight, you can see the tab almost bend a titch.  That breaks off on contact easily if done right. Rig it right and they'll open every time.  You also need a faster bow and heavier arrow.  I bet many screw them onto cheap light arrows or use a old or low poundage bow.  I like them because they fly great and give great blood trails.  I do not agree with the people who think they save marginal shots.   I would switch to the 1.5 inch hypodermic quite frankly if I didnt still have a ton of 2 inch.

11/4/19 @ 1:51 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Interesting to note that when expandables first hit the market years ago, the entire marketing thrust was true flight relative to field points. Then, at some point it became all about blood trails. Probably about the time numerous fixed blade options evolved with excellent accuracy and performance without excessive tuning.

Rage marketing hit a HR with the "blood strategy" and competitor's followed suit.

Poor reason to use a particlar broad head if you ask me. As noted, pass-thru capability and performance on less than ideal angles and hits (bone) are more meaningful to me.

I believe there is a way too large subset of "hunters" who believe heaving a 2" Expandable out there is OK because the blood trail will save them if they connect poorly...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 69 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.