MORE
Archery

Which Broadhead and Why?

10/29/19 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

This is going to be a long post, so if you aren't interested in a broadhead discussion, I suggest backing out now...

Welder Guy brought this up on the "hub blind" thread and I'd like to have a reasonable discussion about broadheads.  I know this topic has been completely beat to death, but I'd like to think as time has moved on, we continue to learn and I think it is worth discussing again.  

I've been bowhunting since 2006.  I did a ton of research then (I research everything I do to no end = blessing and curse).  I settled on Montec G5 broadheads.  I wanted a sturdy cut-on-contact fixed blade.  What drew me to the G5 is that they make a "preseason" version of their heads, which is just a dull version of the broadhead for practice.  I practice almost exclusively with the preseasons.

My results have been stellar.  Believe it or not, I've never clean missed a deer (or the 1 fox I shot).  I've only lost one deer so far in my bowhunting career, a doe in 2012.  She went down in sight.  I waited 30 minutes.  When I got to her, she popped up and took off.  It was user error, I hit her far back.  Hours of tracking later that night and the next morning came up empty.

Aside from that one deer, I have seen all but one of the deer I've shot go down.  And the one I didn't see, I heard crash and walked right to him without any tracking.

Because of my results, I've became a massive believer in cut-on-contact, fixed blade broadheads.  I cannot see a reason why NOT to use them.  The biggest reason is simple:  the deer do not react like you just hit them in the side with a baseball bat, causing them to run like crazy!  Three of the last four deer I've shot jumped, then WALKED 20 - 25 yards away from the shot and tipped over.  All three were double lung shots.  The one that ran was a heart shot, and running proved futile. 

Over the years, I've read HUNDREDS of threads about expandables.  Deployment issues, flight issues because one blade prematurely opened, deflection on bone issues, etc., etc.  Also, when you hit a deer with an expandable, they know it, and they are going to run as far and as fast as they can.  Expandables in my mind have 1 benefit:  they do leave impressive blood trails.  The issue I have is you will typically need the blood trail, because that deer is going to make it as far as it can.  I reject the concept that expandables fly the same as field tips as being an advantage.  Out of a properly tuned bow, a good fixed blade will also fly the same as field tips.  At least that's what I've been told!  I don't practice with field tips!

So what do you use and why?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts
8/31/22 @ 10:47 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

I've used Muzzy 125gr w/Trocar tip for years. They've always flown true, punch through shoulder blades all the time, and have a very high percentage of full pass throughs. Combined with Carbon Express arrows it's a deadly combination. Not changing what works for me. Your results may vary slightly.

8/31/22 @ 9:19 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

This year I'm shooting Magnus Stingers on both my compound and my crossbow.  Didn't take much to tune them and they are extremely sharp.  I have no doubt they will blow through a shoulder if I accidently hit a deer a little forward.  They also have a lifetime warranty on them which sounds good.

8/31/22 @ 5:46 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

My first few years I went with the coolest looking fixed blade broad heads with some really bad shots. Then I tried Grim reaper expandable which have no o ring and I will probably not use anything else after the first deer I hit I was sold. But that's my opinion other guys in our party use other brand expandable which work great for them. For me I like the little bleeder razor  blades just behind the tip and the no o ring.

8/19/22 @ 12:49 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06

https://youtu.be/O11e4WsvcqQ

This is a good summary of what I just posted if you have the time.

8/19/22 @ 12:39 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06

I'm not a fan of expandable broadheads.  I shoot slick tricks and will probably never change.  They are sharp, I've yet to have a blade break, and lack of penetration has never been an issue.  I can not say the same thing about my BIL's choice of expandable broadheads because I've seen all three issues I've mentioned on deer he has shot with less than stellar results.

8/17/22 @ 10:40 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I started bow hunting in 76 I shot my first buck in 77 with a savora head.After that I went traditional and started shooting black dimonds with a custom 59# bill steward recurve.I started making my own heads from two blades shot my first elk with one in 87.I could go on and on but for the last 10 years or so because of age I have gone back to compounds.Now I hunt with muzzy trocars all steel and fly right with my field points.I do not think I will ever change.

10/31/21 @ 6:49 AM
LAN690
User since 10/17/21

I've been using NAP killzones for last several years.  I think as mechanicals go they are a good one, no bands, o-rings They are designed with something called spring clip to hold them closed.  With small amt of resistance they deploy, have always opened on impact. I have lacked pass throughs but have never had a deer go far enough to matter.  Every year i think about going to fixed head but they just keep working so why change.

10/15/21 @ 4:15 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Welderguy,

A good cut-on-contact fixed head I have used in the past is the Wac'Em Triton 100 gr. 3-blade heads. Stainless ferrule with replaceable blades (or you can resharpen them on a flat stone if you have the patience). They fly like darts and are very durable. I have used them as well as several others I know and hunt with and no one I know has had a problem with them. I still have a couple Rage Hypodermics left, but when those are gone, I will be going back to the Wac'Em fixed heads. They are a small diameter (1 1/32") but I always got pass throughs with them and good blood trails. Rage have given me slightly better blood trails, but I am not sold on the 'No-Collar' technology and that seems to be where they are headed...

10/15/21 @ 7:39 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I have pretty much used thunderheads most of my bow hunting career with no real issues to speak of. I got caught up in the hype at one point and switched to Rage even though I have never been a fan of mechanicals but Rage’s seemed different. The first deer I shot with a Rage, which happened to be my biggest buck to date, went perfectly. Complete pass through with a great blood trail. But after that I had some issues. One deer I shot I hit perfectly and had a complete pass through and thought “done deal” but when tracking there wasn’t much blood and then it fizzled out to nothing and I never found that deer. The only thing I can say is maybe the blades didn’t open?? I also didn’t like how tender I had to be putting them back in the quiver to not damage the retaining ring. I Quit using those and went back to thunder heads. I’ve been wanting to use more of a cut on contact type head recently so this year I bought a pack of G5 Montecs and I really like them. Good quality, good flight and the doe I shot this year didn’t go far before piling up. I’ll probably stick with these til I have a reason to switch. 

10/14/21 @ 6:45 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Grim reaper works evertime. Just personal preference but I find them to be real accurate and great design like the small bleeder blades on the tip and no o rings I've tried others but always go back to grim reapers.

10/13/21 @ 8:34 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Magnus Black Hornet SER Razor broke 3 spots on the opposite shoulder of a doe this week.    She snowplowed about 25 yards.    

10/10/21 @ 12:50 AM
Mr_Spike
User since 10/30/05

QAD Exodus Broadhead Full Blade

10/8/21 @ 3:28 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

200-grain Iron Will single bevel with bleeder blades 

Was looking at these.  Tough to spend $30 per broadhead.  Crazy the changes.  Started with bear single blade with bleeder, then expandable then 3 or 4 blade fixed, now back to the beginning.  Used to shoot 125 grain, then lighter is better, now heavier.

9/30/21 @ 11:06 AM
bass423
PRO MEMBER User since 3/1/12

I second the Grim Reaper vote.  I've had good success with them the last 5 years with an X-bow.  Very accurate and deadly, even with a less than stellar shot placement.

9/29/21 @ 2:46 PM
icefitchin
icefitchin
User since 12/13/03

AO,

I was wondering if this is the one and only AO. 

Hope all is well. We definitely need to catch up on the hard water. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE