Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

When to use a Doe decoy?

10/17/14 @ 8:04 AM
ORIGNAL POST
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
I am going to be hunting near Denmark, WI Saturday evening and Sunday morning this weekend. I already have a doe in the freezer and so am only going to kill a nice buck.

With that said, I have a doe and Primos Scarface buck decoy. I'm thinking about putting out the doe decoy and doing a little grunting. I'm also thinking it might be a little early to use the buck decoy. What do you guys think about using a decoy(s) this weekend?

Thanks in advance for any advise!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/20/14 @ 11:22 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
Sat on saturday afternoon in a ground blind with my 3 year old daughter. She wanted to use the decoy (scarface) and i thought that was a good idea too. It has helped in the pass take attention off of me in the blind and in the stand. Saturday was no different, set it up as a buck 13 yards Qrt Away, infront of the blind with the wind in its face. most deer will come down wind to check out the decoy and I try to set it up hoping for a qrt away shot. I had a friend hunting a treeline 250 yds away and we could see him from our blind. He had 2 does working their way toward him, right down the tree line, I had my daughter watching this happen through the binocs for about 15 mins. While we were not paying much attention to what was going on around us during that time, i finally to a look around us and found 3 does 40 yards directly behind my decoy, trying to get our decoy to move before coming out of the marsh into the field. At first i thought they musy have seen us moving around since we were not being very still while watching the does under my buddy. Eventually i felt that they hadnt seen us and were only wondering what to make of the decoy sitting out there, Probably wondering why the buck decoy hadnt turned around and chased them since these same 3 doe have been getting chased around by a couple small bucks the last few nights. Eventually the doe made there way into the field and i had a 30 yd broadside shot at one, as i was pulling back it came in another 5-6 yds and now to make a long story short I just missed over her back using my 30yd pin instead of my 20pin, Would of loved to harvest a deer while hunting with my daughter. That decoy saved us and had all the attention instead of me and my daughter moving around in a ground blind and eye level. This is why i love using decoys.

10/20/14 @ 9:31 AM
prusta81
User since 1/19/09
Thanks for the input guys. Just an update, I decided to put my Primos Scarface decoy out Saturday night. I saw three doe, a spike and five pointer (more deer activity than normal for the land I was on). The five pointer was running one of the doe and was heading straight away from me so I gave him six or so grunts on the grunt tube and he spun right around. He proceeded to walk right under my stand and within 10 yards of my decoy, eventually just walking off unalarmed. Exciting times even though he wasn't the buck I was looking for.

10/17/14 @ 11:04 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
I think either would be fine, I've been watching a couple bucks chase does around the past couple nights and each time a new buck comes in the field the bucks leave the doe chasing alone and go and check out the buck, I've overall had better luck using a buck decoy though. Putting it in the right place is real important too.

10/17/14 @ 8:46 AM
wally2121
User since 4/16/08
I would put out a small buck decoy. I believe the bucks right now are establishing dominance, having a new small buck in their territory would make them angry and would come in to investigate. just my opinion, but that is what I will be rolling with this weekend. Good Luck!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.