SEARCH
MORE
Archery

uptick on ticks?

10/18/21 @ 12:54 PM
INITIAL POST
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

With all the warm weather this fall curious if folks have seen more ticks this year?

I normally hunt SE wi for bow hunting, but head north during pumpkin season.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
10/31/21 @ 6:44 AM
LAN690
User since 10/17/21

Green Cty-I've had crazy amount of ticks on me.  Last weekend field dressed deer that was getting cool by the time I dressed her, ticks must have been vacating her onto me.  Must have had a dozen on me.  I think I'll try permethrine.

10/29/21 @ 1:15 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Ticks are out in full force the last week around my stomping grounds in Vilas and the U.P. Most of them have been very small and difficult to see. Probably 30-40 in the last week. 

10/22/21 @ 5:41 AM
D/M
User since 8/23/17

Elimitick by gamehide! They have all sorts of clothes that are tick and mosquito repellent and they really work and they also have dog vest that your dogs can wear I used the clothes for hunting and camping to keep the mosquitoes away and ticks off myself and my dog. Well worth the money!

10/21/21 @ 9:07 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I might have posted this on a different thread, but I sort of had a field test on the effectiveness of Permethrin.

Went turkey hunting one spring with a friend.  My clothes had Permethrin, he had Off or something like that.  At the end of the trip, I had 0 ticks on me.  I sat there waiting for him to pick off like 30 woodticks.  We literally sat next to each other, he was shooting and I was calling.  That sealed the deal for me.  To this day I have not had a tick, granted I'm sure it will happen at some point.

I use it deer hunting, I don't think it has a smell. Of course I don't have a deer nose either, however you already are giving off scent when you breath, sweat, etc.  So I think its fine to use personally, its no worse than any of that.  They do say its odorless as well.  I have tried other scent free sprays and thought they stink, so I don't always trust that.  But I can't smell Permethrin so it seems to be more of a legit claim.

10/21/21 @ 5:25 AM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Thanks again guys!  Heading to Walmart today for a few bottles!

good hunting everyone!

10/21/21 @ 1:04 AM
mudbucket
PRO MEMBER User since 12/21/04

JD, I order 2 or 3 of these a year.  Leave 1 or 2 at the cabin for anyone to use. Relative was bitten a few years back and  ended up with lyme disease.  Few months later heart attack. Not sure if it was related but... 

Buddy messaged me the deer he shot on Tuesday was loaded with ticks. Especially the crotch area, both wood and deer ticks. Adam's County. 

I'm sure other stores carry permethrin products. Just go to stores website and search 'Permethrin',. If you can't get some before you need it let me know, I'm not to far from you, West Bend.  Walmart had some on the shelf last week. Good luck hunting..

10/20/21 @ 2:16 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Look for the yellow pump spray of Sawyers , it has permithrin in it and it works ! When I am bear baiting all summer , I wash my baiting clothes in it and , it will be affective for several washes .

10/20/21 @ 11:42 AM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the permethrin,  I want to try this! 

Where can you buy this? 

Is it a spray that you can just put on clothes?

Is it odorless?  I would use it for deer hunting.

Thanks!

10/19/21 @ 9:07 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

Was grouse hunting last weekend In Bayfield and sawyer counties.

The dog was covered in them.

I sprayed my clothes with permethrin and had none.

It was the worst I have ever seen!

10/19/21 @ 10:11 AM
BigHorn
User since 10/24/11

They were just awful all summer by me near Necedah.  I've been out hunting the last couple of weekends and I haven't seen any.  I was out checking out the apple trees and walking thru tall grass and still none.  Hope that continues that there aren't any.  

10/19/21 @ 6:23 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Pheasant hunting SE Wi this weekend ticks were thick.

10/18/21 @ 9:00 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Was in Florence two weeks ago,  there were a lot , small ones.  Spray yourself. 

10/18/21 @ 8:14 PM
Mr_Spike
User since 10/30/05

Yes, this year I have seen way more ticks than usual.   1st outting I got bit by deer tick.  Caught it within about 6hrs thankfully.  

I started spraying my clothes with permethrin and havent found a tick yet.    

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE