MORE
Archery

Upgrading to new bow

7/19/18 @ 6:42 PM
INITIAL POST
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

Currently I shoot a Hoyt Trykon from 2005.   It shoots accurately and has always done what I've asked of it.   It has helped me take quite a few deer over the years.

That said I feel like its time to upgrade to a new one.   The new bows are so much better and I have the money strashed to buy a new one but I feel like I'm leaving my old friend behind.   

How do you guys decide when its time to upgrade your setup?

Displaying 11 to 20 of 31 posts
1/16/20 @ 12:40 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

The thing with newer bows is that pretty much every brand makes very nice bows, just some fit other people better than they might fit you.  Others buy purely from hype and marketing.  All of the brands copy off each other for the most part.  I'm still using a 2012 bow and after shooting dozens of newer bows recently, I still have no reason to change.

Mathews in particular were one of the pioneers of these newer style compounds, but everyone else eventually caught up to them.  

Not much new tech lately.

1/16/20 @ 9:03 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Speed means very little in the grand scheme of things.  Speed is really the last thing i'd look for in a bow unless you are thinking of shooting 40-50 lbs.  Even at that,  recurve guys are killing deer and getting passthrough's shooting 150 fps.  Don't dwell on speed,  pay more attention to valley,  wall,  ease of drawing,  grip feel...is it repeatable...  Way more elements to choosing the right bow for you than a name or dollar amount. 

Ihookem,  236 fps isn't slow.  To you maybe...but what is slow?  so a deer at 20 yards is 60 feet,  you don't think 236 fps is fast enough?  Ask a recurve guy what fast is and it will change your whole perspective on judging bows on speed.  I know a lot of hardcore traditional guys and they kill the crap out of deer.  The problem with compound guys is they think they have super powers.  a deer at 35 yards will duck an arrow at 350 or 150.  it's all been proven time and time again.  chasing a speed number is not the way to choose a bow. 

If all you shot is 3D unknown,  then get the lightest arrow possible and shoot 330 fps,  that should improve your scores a bit.  To shoot a sub 350 grain arrow at a deer is just asking for trouble.   This thread has nothing to do with speed or arrow penetration,  but most are buying a bow to hunt.  i'd never chase speed and I wouldn't buy a light arrow.  only way I'd chase speed would be if I was going to make a super heavy arrow and build that arrow for 650+ grains.  Then at least that speed will benefit you 

1/15/20 @ 9:34 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

If someone was paying you thousands of dollars I’m sure you would say it has bone crushing speed too! Lol

1/15/20 @ 10:52 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I would also like to comment how it is not wise to get caught up in the Mathews Triax, Vertix and now the new one . I had the bow shop put on 25" pull for a Triax . It shot my arrows 236fps @ 55 lb pull with the Triax. This  falls far short of the Avail . Again, my Avail shoots the same arrows 250fps @ 52 lbs. Not everything is what it appears. The Avail is a much better bow for shorter draw lengths. I found this out when I stopped at Wicked Archery in Slinger by the Cabelas. I mentioned I wanted a Triax. My BIL loves his. The owner said I will not be happy with a Triax with a 24.5" draw. He was right. Told me I would be happier with an Avail or a 5Max??  Had I went with the Triax , I would not have gained much of anything for speed, maybe 5 fps. and that's it. 

1/15/20 @ 10:40 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I bought a new Mathews Avail in November. I had a Mission Endeavor for 7 yrs. I bought a new one cause I can't pull back too much anymore. I was concerned that the new bows were all hype. My Mission shoots my arrow at 230 fps @ 54 lbs. My new Mathews shoots the same arrow @ 250 fps @ 52 lbs.  So , I gained 20fps with  2 lbs . less pull. That is considerable better , but now as much as I hoped for. The reason I hoped for more is cause these Mathews reps like The Crush people , like Tiffany makes them sound like more than they really are. I watched every Youtube and writ up I could find before dropping $ 1007 after tax . Tiffany, in an interview said she shot a big buck in the front shoulders at 45 yds. and got the buck. She mentioned " bone crushing speed" . She shoots the same draw , with the same pull weight . There is no way it is bone crushing speed when it starts at 250 fps. and at 45 yds it is no faster than my Mission @ 20 yds. I shot a buck too far forward . It was a bruiser and hit his front shoulder. I can tell you it did no bone crushing in any way shape or form. It went in about 3" and that was it. A lot od this is Bull crap to make their product look much better than what it is. It is a bow that shoots an arrow, nothing more. I am happy with the bow. I needed a new string anyway and traded my sons Mission Riot for $100. Had I kept my old bow a new $150 string would be needed so I am really only out $757. I lie the bow . The back stop is solid and believe it helps with accuracy compared to my 3/4" backstop on my Mission. It is a better bow and am happy with it. It is my last compound and should have bought a crossbow anyway. My rotators are shot and 52 lbs pull hurts cause I'm so sore. 

1/14/20 @ 2:35 PM
czar1
czar1
User since 7/2/09

What did u ever do. Get a new one and what was it. I have the same Trykon and feel the same way. Dead on at 30 and never any problems. Been wanting to get a new bow for a few years now I'm pulling the trigger finally in a few weeks. Hoyts are so expensive now thinking about a Matthew's going to shoot a few different ones tho.

7/24/18 @ 6:37 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

The reason some people get new bows every year is because they can.  Can,  meaning they know someone where they get them for cost or at a discount.  If you buy a $1000 bow for $700 in March of 2018,  sell it in Dec of 2018,  you might get $600-650 for it depending on brand.  If you wait another 6 months,  it's worth about 400-450.  So some don't mind losing $100 and have the latest and greatest.  

I'd imagine some just have the money to burn because bow hunting and archery are two different things.  to some it's a year round hobby.  To others a bow is just a means to kill a deer. They pick that bow up Sept 1 and put it down Nov 15th, not to be touched for another 10 months.  So depending on where you fall in that spectrum,  make your own decision that fits you.

I used to buy new every year and most years i'd made money on the bow.  I don't do it anymore because i'm too old to care.

7/23/18 @ 9:55 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
I upgraded to a new bow this year to a PSE React. 90% let off, pretty crazy compared to my old bow. Got a steal on it brand new off of Ebay. It's a bigger bow at 33 inches axle to axle but that's what I was looking for. Not a huge fan of the 30 inch and 32 inch bows out there.

My old bow was a 2008 Diamond The Rock.  Original strings and cables and they were worn bad.  I don't know how many tens of thousands of shots went through that bow. I got it back in high school and my friends and I would shoot all the time during the summers. I shot good with it and probably could have got another year out of it but knew it was time for an upgrade.  I got it hanging on the wall now as a decoration.  Too many memories to get rid of it.

There's no need to get a new bow every year like a lot of the guys do.  Should be able to easily get a new one every 10 years or so. That's my plan for my new bow - it should last me a decade unless I run into problems with it.  I always find myself looking at the new Mathews, but I got my PSE for a fraction of the price.

7/23/18 @ 6:49 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I wouldn't buy used,  you last bought a bow in 06.  I've bought used,  most times you buy others problems.  I've been there.  

7/20/18 @ 3:12 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I have considered used but am unsure because I'm always afraid that the previous owner might have abused it.   Probably just me thinking that though.   When the new mathews triax came out I went to  check for deals on halon 32's and they were only $150 less.   I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes peeled for deals though.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 31 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE