LOGIN
Lake-Link

Upgrading to new bow

7/19/18 @ 5:42 PM
ORIGNAL POST
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

Currently I shoot a Hoyt Trykon from 2005.   It shoots accurately and has always done what I've asked of it.   It has helped me take quite a few deer over the years.

That said I feel like its time to upgrade to a new one.   The new bows are so much better and I have the money strashed to buy a new one but I feel like I'm leaving my old friend behind.   

How do you guys decide when its time to upgrade your setup?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 30 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
1/17/20 @ 8:22 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Thanks Ere and eye!!  I am not really against crossbows, however, it seems like a pride thing. It is a reminder that I am going to be 57 yrs old the next time I pull back on a deer. I am healthy enough to scout several miles at a time, can walk with no problem and can run up and down ladders and steps  good part of the day for work. Pull back that 52 lbs and it reminds me that my better days of arm strength are past me. If I screw up next fall, I will be getting a crossbow and might just keep my Mathews Avail for warm weather. I am surprised at the doctor who told a poster to not pull back a bow. My doctor just told me to lay off it for a few weeks. Of course , I was out there in 1 week. Even pulled back on a buck but decided not to shoot. I felt it was a success , just getting the bow back and I already had a doe that year anyway. 

1/17/20 @ 3:48 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Even though my shoulder was giving me grief I tried to get back into archery 12 years ago. I tried out some new bows and had a miserable time trying to shoot them. Ended up having my shoulder scoped that spring and the orthopedic surgeon told me right out I should never try to shoot a bow. He recommended I take the test for the handicap permit that was available back then. Had to wait until October to take the test and then qualified for the permit. In the meantime I borrowed a crossbow and began practicing. Once I got the permit I did get out to hunt some that season, no deer though. Over the next 6 seasons I did harvest 5 deer and have since upgraded from the borrowed crossbow to a new one. About 3 years ago I had shoulder replacement surgery and will continue to use a crossbow as long as I am able to get into the woods. Other health issues have made hunting more of a challenge and am now stuck using a ground blind. Don’t be afraid to go the crossbow route if that is what it takes to hunt safely and pain free. 

1/17/20 @ 2:27 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

hookem; I've had my right shoulder done twice and my left once all within the last five years. 2 years ago I bought a crossbow, some weeks or days I feel good enough to draw, and when I don't, I take the crossbow. Having both keeps me in the woods. I still prefer my compound but having options helps.

1/17/20 @ 1:57 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I have been thinking of using both. In the early season when its 50 degrees I can pull it back. When it gets cold, inhere are times I can hardly pull it back. I started pulling the bow back very 45 minutes or so while I'm in the stand.  I could go down to 45 lbs I guess , but I just love my bows. I shoot in my basement all winter . It is a 20 yd. range down there. I just might get one next year but I just love shooting my Misison and my Mathews. I like my Mathews better though.

1/17/20 @ 11:41 AM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

For the hunter with shoulder issues:

I too have shoulder issues. 3 procedures to my right shoulder at once in 2007/8.

And still have an issue with my rotator cuff. 

I have thought the last couple of years of dumpling my compound bow & getting a crossbow. But I was able to have a good year bow hunting this year. 

But, sir, if you are in that much pain & discomfort,  it's time to switch to a crossbow. 

Good luck, 

Big Mac 

1/17/20 @ 9:57 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

If your shoulders are that messed up then use a crossbow.  I'd consider that a disability and a valid reason to use one.  My opinion of course.

1/17/20 @ 8:13 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Ihookem,   buy a crossbow

1/16/20 @ 6:47 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I didn't buy the bow for speed, kind of. This is one reason I was interested in speed. My shoulders are so sore I can hardly pull back the bow. I am at 52 lbs and my shoulders are sore. When I was in the stand in 2018, I was so darn cold I was shivering. It was snowing and sleeting. About 15 min.. before closing a pretty nice buds comes up from behind me and turns 90 degrees. I raise the bow, thinking this deer has no idea I am here. I go to pull back the bow an I am so stiff I could not pull back 56 lbs. I pulled back as hard as I could and tore my rotator cuff again. The pain was terrible and letting that buck walk was a wakeup call. I figure , if I buy a new bow that everyone sais are so fast , I could get the same speed with a lot less poundage. The new bow worked. It did not work quite as good as I wanted it to. I was hoping for the same speed at 45 lbs as 55 lbs with my old bow. I may lower poundage to 50 or so . As for speed, I like speed , cause I am a terrible judge of distance . With my 325 gr. arrow, I have shot several pass through arrows. I am exercising my arms for more strength but at 56 yrs old it is not working very well, my rotators just get even more sore. I bought this new bow as a last ditch effort to not start using a crossbow. The day will come when I will need a crossbow, no way out of it and do not plan on quoting bow hunting. I will continue to reduce pounds down to about 45 lbs and if I can't pull 45 lbs back on the stand before getting down for the hunt , I will buy  crossbow.  

1/16/20 @ 12:37 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Mr Bass,  I respectfully disagree with your statement about Mathews and others catching up.  Sales,  sure,  technology,  nope.  The commercials would lead you to believe that,  but IMO,  they have always been behind others in quality and craftsmanship.  Single cam technology was actually an old technology but Mathews was able to bring it back, develop it and market it effectively.  

It's all i will say about that,  we are all entitled to our own opinion.  Single cam principal was actually invented in the 70's.

Darton rules the archery world in patents and technology.  They wouldn't have to sell another bow in the history of the company and bring in enough money via royalties.

1/16/20 @ 11:40 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

The thing with newer bows is that pretty much every brand makes very nice bows, just some fit other people better than they might fit you.  Others buy purely from hype and marketing.  All of the brands copy off each other for the most part.  I'm still using a 2012 bow and after shooting dozens of newer bows recently, I still have no reason to change.

Mathews in particular were one of the pioneers of these newer style compounds, but everyone else eventually caught up to them.  

Not much new tech lately.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 30 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.