LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trail Camera - Photo or video

9/11/17 @ 2:47 PM
ORIGNAL POST
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

Wondering if I am missing something, but with all my cameras, I only have used photos and not video.  What have others done?  It seems like video would be a pia to a certain extent.  Tougher to manage data and share.  But maybe not.  Thoughts?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/18/17 @ 11:53 AM
browning3
browning3
User since 5/23/02

Second part of the video.

9/18/17 @ 11:52 AM
browning3
browning3
User since 5/23/02

I love video mode in certain areas.  Had this guy on camera last year opening a scrape.

9/18/17 @ 9:40 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

thanks for your POV scoutking - appreciate it. 

9/18/17 @ 9:38 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

Something else to think about is the area you are hanging your camera.  I hunt pretty heavily hunted public lands and tend to be close to the thick stuff.  If you are hunting older age class deer, they tend to shy away from even IR camera flash, on video mode, a red glow camera will be lit up red for the duration of the video.  If your camera is in an area that buck feels safe and is at eye level, my experience is that he will spook and take a different route.  When I do use video mode, it is almost always with my black flash cameras and I mount them elevated 8 feet off the ground and out of eye level.  I really like video mode when trying to learn an area, it shows direction of travel and how they travel much better.  Are they taking their time, killing daylight, or are they hurrying through back to bed.  Just some ideas and things I think about.  Best of luck

9/12/17 @ 9:09 PM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

I use video when I can especially when I can't put bait to hold them for the pic.  Otherwise a fawn may walk through and the camera trips and takes a pic and while the pic delay occurs other deer and or bucks walk through and you miss them.

9/12/17 @ 3:24 PM
take'em!
User since 9/8/11

Most of the time i use pictures but i have used video during the season since i check the cameras at least once a week so i can put a clean card in and batteries if needed. it is nice during the rut to see how the bucks move through, head down or just relaxed walk, etc.

9/12/17 @ 2:43 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I prefer photos because my uncle checks our cams using a viewer and wouldn't know how to use a pc to view the vids.  Considering I live so far from the farm this way I can actually see some pics every once and a while.  I also don't want to hear him complain about technology.

9/12/17 @ 11:48 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

This was another cool video that I got.  I don't think I would have been able to tell what this deer had for headgear by still shots alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alshmZY0o3E

9/12/17 @ 11:46 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Video can be cool over a scrape.  This wasn't a scrape sight per se, but I was sure glad I had this camera set to video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe0sHcCAcJc

9/11/17 @ 8:19 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Video eats up way more space on the SD card and also drains the batteries quicker so I usually don't use it, but it's definitely worth doing from time to time. You'll  see things that you would normally miss in a still picture, plus most newer cams record sound as well. I had a video once with an owl hooting in the background, that was pretty cool!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.