SEARCH
MORE
Archery

The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 2:32 PM
INITIAL POST
str8shot
User since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 583 posts
3/17/22 @ 4:55 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

"Axel22  -  I am just stating the weapon is what it is, a gun.  You can call a dog a cat and a cat a duck but it doesn't make it so. It is my opinion that no gun should be allowed during archery season. "

So if you call it a gun then, doesn't make it so.  By the way, if you are trying to educate people, you need to educate yourself.  The crossbow is not allowed in the archery season, it is allowed in the "crossbow" season.  That is a fact.   

3/17/22 @ 4:32 PM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

I meant anti hunter. Also I use my Hoyt in the Archery season and my Ravin in the Crossbow season ( which just happen to run together) ?? I don’t get Butt hurt because somebody might be shooting Someone else’s deer the”Easy Way”. I enjoy both weapons in the great outdoors!!

3/17/22 @ 4:26 PM
mudbucket
PRO MEMBER User since 12/21/04

If you plan to "educate", start by learning how to have an adult conversation. A "crossbow" is not a hard word to pronounce. Make up any word you want for it. It is still a CROSSBOW. When you make up words for things to demean them, it only makes you look more of a fool. 

Again I will ask what should be done with smaller shooters. Especially smaller female archers. We have lots of kids in our hunter safety and shooting sports program. Many of them would struggle to shoot 35-40lbs. Should lack of Size be their disability???  Some parents want the bow cranked up regardless if it could be drawn. Is that best for the animal being hunted?  I advocate and advise getting out in woods with whatever legally works for you. 

You do absolutely nothing good for the future of hunting by name calling or insulting others. Or as you put it "educate"..

3/17/22 @ 2:20 PM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

Very well said Robertwhite, I’m beginning to think this axel character is an anti just trying to pi$$ people off, he just repeats himself over&over&over& over kinda like Ol Ronnie used to do??and by the way I use my Hoyt and My Ravin and love them both

3/17/22 @ 1:32 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

There seems to be a misunderstanding here.  I don't see in the Rules and Regulations where the crossbow is referred to as a "bow".  It is referred to as a "crossbow".  It's even given it's own season and license....much like a rifle is given it's own season, and a muzzleloader is given it's own season.

Why so upset that a crossbow is called a crossbow?  It appears (according to the rules) that all the things you claim that make a crossbow not a bow, plus the things that do make it a bow, in fact make it a (wait for it).....crossbow.  You and I can use crossbows during the crossbow season, or the compound during the archery season.  Take your pick and enjoy!

3/17/22 @ 12:54 PM
07 fatboy
User since 5/27/10

Well said Robertwhite !  I completely agree with you. 

3/17/22 @ 12:19 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08

“It is simply a fact the bolt firing gun is indeed a gun. That case has been made and validated.”

The fact that this debate continues here proves that case hasn’t been made…or even validated.  

As I read the hunting rules and regulations, the folks who are in the seat to make these decisions have decided that all weapons using GUN POWDER to propel the projectile shall be considered “GUNS”.  All weapons falling into that category can only be used during the various firearms seasons.  Any hunter wishing to hunt outside of those firearms seasons, must use a legal non-firearm type weapon (one the uses STRINGS to propel the projectile, for example).  In that case, a hunter has 2 options: use a vertical bow to hunt during the archery season, or use a crossbow to hunt during the crossbow season.  It just so happens that those 2 seasons are concurrent!  Apparently rifles, shotguns, pistols, and muzzleloaders are “guns”, long bows and compound bows are “bows” and crossbows are (wait for it)…..”crossbows”!

It isn’t any simpler than that. Validated by the Hunting Rules and Regulations.  

Apparently, those who set the above seasons determined for us that shoulder rests, scopes, triggers etc aren’t all that important, and maybe it just boils down to the “gun powder” vs “strings” thing after all?  They drew the line in the sand for us and allow us to choose the weapon as we see fit based on those restrictions.  Go forth and hunt legally, enjoy the experience you decide to pursue…….or argue about whose OPINION is more important, endlessly.

3/17/22 @ 9:52 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!!

A 10 day old member of lake link, and all indications of only reason to post, is to agitate.  

3/16/22 @ 7:50 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

The more he posts the more familiar he sounds.

3/16/22 @ 6:14 PM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16

I am truly sorrow for my comments all i mean it does not it a make difference just as long you are in woods injoying nature i am glad you shot deer with different type of bows. How many people have done that

3/16/22 @ 3:39 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

“But I realize some must justify their end with any means.”   

3/16/22 @ 3:34 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Well then I’ll just sell everything I have with strings as long as a crossbow is a gun, I’ll just take the 280

3/16/22 @ 2:49 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Axel, your embarrassing yourself.  Trying to compare a firearm to a crossbow is really absurd.

3/16/22 @ 2:40 PM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16

WOW,

How about you put your 2000 dollar compound bow down and try to hold a long bow for the same time you can your compound bow and does your release a trigger

Get over it i am in the woods hunting is that not what really matters

3/16/22 @ 1:51 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"I have to use a crossbow to hunt so that makes me a "what" a poor hunter"

The weapon chosen does not define the hunter.  A great hunter can use any weapon and be successful.  

A poor shooter cannot use a bow.    

Displaying 16 to 30 of 583 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE