The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 1:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
str8shot
str8shot
USER since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 272 Posts
TODAY @ 11:40 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

I don’t think it makes that much of a difference! Even if ur arrow, or should I say bolt, goes right where u aimed that doesn’t mean the deer will still be in the same place. 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 11:04 AM
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
USER since 3/2/13

Trained professional sharp shooter.  If you were GOD of the trained professional sharp shooters it would not matter.  50 yards I am very sure you can pull off almost every single time.  It is the "on alert" part that would make me say not an ethical shot.  That said.. glad you got the deer, good eatin and congrats!  Only 8 more months and the season opens again....yes I know its not closed yet in some areas.  

Post Your Comment
1/18/19 @ 9:45 PM
walleyejak3
walleyejak3
USER since 12/3/18

I'm a trained professional sharp shooter! That make a difference.. Sure as hell does!

Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 1:34 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I don't wish that on anyone. That was 22 years ago, It's very common to have a mid-life crisis.  Do you need a virtual "bro hug"? 

Edited on 1/17/19 1:38 PM
Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 9:05 AM
Deadbucksdontlie
Deadbucksdontlie
USER since 1/10/19

Too much division among the hunting community.  Crossbow v compound v recurve.  Sights v instinctive.  Public v private.  I wish good will on all hunters.  Maybe something that can bring everyone together is safety.  That is universal, or at least it should be.  Ill gladly share my tale if that would help another hunter young or old avoid a whole lotta b.s.

It was 96, i was 17 and although deer were doing their part i had not yet conected.  Gun season came first weekend no luck.   Second weekend rolled around we figured wed do some local drives that produced before.   Plan was let me off on the 4 lane highway on back of property and my old man and uncle would swing around the front of the swamp.  In those days we had baker climbers and used the little seats you could tie off around the tree, most times.   This time all i had was the little seat and the plan was either just sit on the ground, or if i found a decent option hop up a tree.  I found a scrubby oak on the edge of the swamp, up i went.   I did have a rope to pull the unloaded gun up and i settled on a nice set of two limbs, tied that seat on, pulled the gun up and liked my chances.   Maybe 14 feet up.  I was expecting my old man to come thru maybe in an hour or so.   Not 5 min after getting set i hear racket on the hill i just walked on, i was sure it was a guy it was so loud.  Wrong, it was a buck, he ran on the hillside i was on i cracked off 2 with the 870.  Got him  he started floppin like a fish out of water, and made it to heavy brush and trees that blocked my view.   I thought, oh no if he runs across that road i was let off on he might get away.   I gotta get down and go finish him off.  So i took the three shells out, and thought i could just carry it down. I thought wrong.  Slippery cause winter?  Yes.  Exctited bc of buck? Yes. Foolish cause i was 17? Yes.  I dont know how i slipped, but i did and i realized i was falling, threw the gun, and i hit the ground, hard.   Had i hit plinko style on the way down i think i would have been alright, i didnt and i wasnt.  I knew it was bad.  Im sure i went into shock.   I had the actual real thought, at 17 that, is this it god?   Do i die right here?   So i yelled best i could. My dad was a long ways away.  Well.  The 2 guys unbeknownst to us who scared that buck to me had driving ideas of their own...and within 5 min they came to aid.   This was pre everyone having cell days.   I remember the one tellimg me how nice the buck was...i thought,,,come on guy 911.  911.   So one goes to find my old man, one goes to the hwy to flag down help.  Helicopter ride to the hospital.  Never walk again and all that jazz.  I learned,  i tell people think of riding a bike.  Weld a 30 lb weight on the front, now ride it.  Balance has to be relearned, and youll never ride or turn as well after.  Kinda.  Most folks can deal with paralysis id say.  Bowel and bladder as well as other issues can be quite daunting. Im a champion though.  Im good.  Im a father now so i get it. But  My dad took it real hard.   Came home and burned all the hunting clothes along with the 870 hard.   Of the whole ordeal i wish he wouldnt have felt so bad, but now i get it.  Things work out for a reason.   I still finished college.  Still got a good carreer that lets me use my brain more than legs and back.   Wouldnt have met my wife, had my son.  And its helped define who i am.   But yeah, wish it didnt happen.  Wish i was safer.  Wish i had a harness, wish i coulda tried life w o a spinal cord injury.  I hunt off the ground most times.   If my bro totes the summit for me, harness 100% of the time. I cant go far, but that generally means i dont sweat.  I have my chances every season, still. Fathers.  Mothers.  Every season hunters make the same mistake.   Go to froedert in nov, there will be a couple of people there with injuries from falls from stands many turn out worse than me.  I thanked my surgeon and therapists, but I regretted never having a chance to say thanks in person to the rescue folks who cut me out of the woods. Anybody remembers rescuing a skinny kid in 96 by bloomfield, you made the difference thanks.  What i was doing then was by no means the most dangerous things i did in trees, its amazing i didnt fall more.  So.  My advice, from someone who learned the real hard way is safety safety safety always always always. I also learned the easy solution to the dilemma of the  50 yrd shot.   Hunt in a stand with no 50 yrd shots.  

Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 6:51 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Dead bucks, what do you not understand about the best shooter has no control over where that arrow lands when shooting at a live animal over 30 yards?  I'm not even going to bother...this is lake link,  should I expect anything else?  LOL

BTW,  is there anything else you'd like to tell us about your life and career?

Edited on 1/17/19 6:58 AM
Post Your Comment
1/17/19 @ 6:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

So I like puppies.  Who's the guy on the thread that wants them all dead?  Gotta be someone if we have guys defending a 50 yard straight on shot.  Always seem to have both ends of the spectrum represented.

Edited on 1/17/19 6:41 AM
Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 8:31 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

When I first saw this post last night I thought this was just an attempt to get more compound vs, cross bow banter between the two groups of hunters. I would not take a straight on 50yd shot at a neck with any type of archery or crossbow equipment..Just too many variables in play to make this an ethical shot..

I love to hunt deer..shoot deer..and then eat deer, but nothing is more important to me then respecting this great resource. As noted earlier the original poster asked for feedback and as I expected most folks that replied simply would not take this shot.. 

Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 6:44 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

“People hate the idea of anyone else shooting their deer”

I’m fine with people shooting all the deer they legally can, the dude clearly asked everybody here for their opinion on whether or not they would’ve taken that shot. In certain instances I’m not totally against a 50yd shot if the shooter is confident, but in my opinion under those circumstances I would not have taken that shot. Even under good circumstances that’s a lot of time for a deer to move resulting in a bad hit. We as hunters owe it to the deer to make a clean ethical kill, not shoot and hope. I also disagree that any killing shot is ethical.  Anywho, that’s my $.02 not that it matters. 

Post Your Comment
1/16/19 @ 3:33 PM
Deadbucksdontlie
Deadbucksdontlie
USER since 1/10/19

Spinal cord injury in 96, falling out of a tree fittingly enough i suppose.  Gun season, small buck.  Foolish youth.  Million dollars in 3 big surguries,5 months inpatient at feoedert.  20 some years still recovering.Feet dont work at all, legs work barely enough for me to stumble out there a ways and try my hardest to kill my buck.  On public land, year after year. No disabled car tag, no sights.    Hate to see other hunters harp on somebody for a shot.  I blew a golden opportunity this year wounding a nice buck.   Close too like 25 yrds..  i blew it.  It happens.  Bow season especialy. Hope he lived.  Doe i hearthshot earlier in the season that was farther?  Aced that one.The practice comment applies to all of us every year..  so yeah. Im fine with the word cripple or disabled or whatever.  Blessed is what i am.   50 yrd crossbow shot, come on.  I liked neckshots up until this year.    Thats me.  Again to each their own.  Fred bear said take the first best shot, thats what the hunter did.  Way to go.  People hate the idea of anyone else out there shooting thier deer. Life is short those memories will last forevor.  I look for no pity, nor expect  any.  I hunt cause i have to hunt.   Thats all.  Maybe i will buy a crossbow someday.   Prob not.   Maybe i should. Haha. Anyone who wants to be out there hunting do it. Those who want to pay money to lease or go to ranches do it.  Or hunt your own private do it.  This season was the last for a few out there.  When its over it over.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 272 Posts