Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

The great bow /crossbow debate

10/31/18 @ 2:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
str8shot
User since 11/19/10

Since I have about 2 months to burn being laid up and haven't been on in a while, I figured I would see how some fellow lake linkers feel on the topic of crossbows now that they have been legal in the archery season for a few years. 

I'm interested in knowing WHY (big emphasis on the "WHY")….you either do or don't support having them being a part of the archery season. 

As the thread progresses I figure I'll have chances to support my own thoughts on the topic.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 529 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/21/20 @ 4:38 PM
Skunky
Skunky
User since 3/15/14

Good post .LongBarrels!!

I feel the same. Its what you get out of it. 

9/21/20 @ 4:30 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I to vote for crossbows. If they make things easier, I’m all in. 

9/21/20 @ 9:58 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

big Shane and Big Mac,  you shouldn't have to feel like you have to justify yourself.  I don't think anyone faults a guy that has any types of shoulder issues or surgeries.  It's the perfectly healthy folks that are doing it to make hunting easier.  No one can argue a Xbow makes is easier.  I have friends that shoot them cause they don't have time to prepare and practice,  they just want to kill.  Time is what you make of it,  if you don't have time to shoot 12 arrows a week you may be the busiest person on the earth.  My buddy can make time to sit in a bar all night 4 days a week though....

9/20/20 @ 5:26 PM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

I'm 61 years young. I've had extensive surgery on my right shoulder (right handed). And now, an issue with my left shoulder.  

I'm going to try to use my compound bow this year & see how it goes. 

To keep archery hunting, if i have to use a crossbow, i will!

I love bow hunting & all that i witness.

We are ALL HUNTERS/OUTDOORS PEOPLE!

Big Mac 

9/20/20 @ 12:45 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

I’ve had surgery on my right shoulder twice. I deal with chronic pain in that shoulder. I bought an Xbow this year. I’m 40. Sue me. 

5/8/20 @ 9:07 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

I totally agree that the deer hunting in Wi, especially in parts of  Northern Wi. now is hardly worth the effort but in my opinion it isn't the DNR's fault, it isn't a guy shooting a few spikers fault, it isn't the few hunters who shoot 2 bucks fault. Years ago our group never passed on a buck and we still got a wallhanger every year or two and had lots of big bucks on camera's. There were plenty of bucks around that some always survived. Now we can hardly see a deer in the National Forest, get rid of the wolves, have a string of mild winters and maybe we can go back to shooting all the spikes and forks we want again!! Because if we don't shoot the spiker the next guy will and it will never change in Wisconsin until there are some sort of point restrictions which I don't think will ever happen.

5/8/20 @ 1:31 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'm not even sure why I post anymore.  I don't know why everyone argues about the same topic over and over.  Plain and simple,  the WI DNR wants deer dead but also wants money in license sales.  There will come a time, very soon that people will finally realize that the DNR is just a bunch of liars and it will be too late.  You can't expect to sell a product when there is not a good to be sold.  there is a reason why a small percentage don't waste much time in WI and travel out of state.  The product WI is selling isn't worth fighting about.  The society now days is lazy.  no one wants to put in the work to be better...Xbows and guns will win every time and it's not going to get any better.  

My stance on Xbows is, disabled or 55 and over. period.  Well i suppose dudes with man buns also.  Xbows for everyone would be like McDonalds giving the senior's price on coffee to everyone.  there are just some things you have to earn.  

5/8/20 @ 12:00 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"The DNR and NRB are worried about the number of gun hunters dropping and DNR income dropping because of less license's being sold so the last thing they would do is pass a rule for "one buck". With more hunters shooting their bucks with a crossbow why would they buy a gun license if they can't shoot a buck with a gun ? That would cause an even bigger drop in gun license sales, so it will never happen!! There a so few hunters that shoot 2 bucks that it doesn't really make a difference anyway!!"

This is easily addressed with purchasing a simple buck tag.  Easy to project the buck license fee to ensure no money is lost.  Buy a buck tag for an extra $10/tag, choose the weapon and season you want.  The cost difference makes up for the hunters that don't want to rifle hunt.  Would reduce the crowded zoo of the normal gun season with hunters everywhere on public land, would allow more bucks to be shot by those who would have otherwise been unsuccessful, increase buck harvest success rates, and may even allow an extra few bucks to live another year.  Issue doe tags for units with high deer numbers.  The fee obviously would be more annually for those that either gun or bowhunt, but would be cheaper for those that partake in both sports....the state income would remain roughly the same.  

It all makes perfect sense, but as usual, the greed of hunters shines through like the sun.  This was proposed on a few county citizen resolutions, but shot down (be it not by much) again.  Too many people in this state have a need to shoot 2 forkhorns every year...fairly common in my area.  Many of these folks have never passed up a shot at a buck in their lifetimes.

At some point, if something is not done, rifle hunting will disappear the way things are going anyway and we are going to accelerate revenue loss.  As more and more people switch to crossbows, more and more bucks are going to be shot before rifle season starts.  Poor product = poor sales....that is what we are seeing with rifle hunting already.    

5/8/20 @ 8:48 AM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

I remember when the state asked if we wanted dogs for turkey hunting, it was shot down, what do we have now, dogs for turkey hunting (fall only). Just say-in, they will do what they want. I am not a cross gunner but I am for it because I have seen so many archery hunters who do not practice enough go out hunting and make bad shots and wound deer. I understand not everybody can shoot in there back yard. 

5/7/20 @ 9:40 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

The DNR and NRB are worried about the number of gun hunters dropping and DNR income dropping because of less license's being sold so the last thing they would do is pass a rule for "one buck". With more hunters shooting their bucks with a crossbow why would they buy a gun license if they can't shoot a buck with a gun ? That would cause an even bigger drop in gun license sales, so it will never happen!! There a so few hunters that shoot 2 bucks that it doesn't really make a difference anyway!!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 529 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.