SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Stand in big Hickory tree

5/23/22 @ 7:22 AM
INITIAL POST
Al, Ron, Jim
User since 7/9/01

I'm having problems getting my straps around a very large hickory.  My straps are long enough - just can't figure out how to get the strap around the tree so I can ratchet my ladder stand to the tree.  Suggestions???

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
5/28/22 @ 10:46 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

When I put up a new stand or move a stand, I always have to trim shooting lanes, so I bring my extendable pole pruner. I hook the ratchet strap on the folded blade of the pole pruner and either have a partner walk it around the tree or hook it on, climb down and walk the pole pruner around the tree and lean it against the tree and climb back up to secure the stand. When I use ladder stands, I only use two-man ladder stands, so it is usually a two (or three) man job to put one up. The pole pruner is 14' long and when combined with the height of your 'helper'...even my 5'1" wife can help me with this task! Once the stand is strapped to the tree, one of us stays in the stand and the other one walks around and trims shooting lanes. It's a pretty good system.

5/28/22 @ 8:15 AM
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

I have a two-man ladder stand connected to an oak wider than the stand.  I drilled holes into the tree on either side of the platform and screwed in eyebolts to anchor the stand with straps.

5/23/22 @ 2:58 PM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

I made what eyesman described - call it my “reach around tool”. Works great. If the stand location is not too remote I use a small light extension ladder I lean on the back side of the tree. That’s good if your alone.

5/23/22 @ 11:51 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I usually take a curved branch in one hand and wrap that as far as it can go around the tree.  Then I just toss the strap with my other hand and catch it on the branch, then I just pull it around.  Basically what eyesman said with the conduit, but just using something in the woods.

5/23/22 @ 8:15 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Take a length of 1/2” electrical conduit and bend a half a circle out of it. Attach a hook to one end. Place stand in tree and attach the center brace. Climb part way up and reach the conduit hoop around the tree to catch the tag end of the strap and rotate the hoop to bring the tag end around the tree. Another method is have a helper with a pole and hook to catch the tag end of the strap and feed it around the tree. 

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE