MORE
Archery

Sick Child Begging To Deer Hunt

9/22/22 @ 12:08 PM
INITIAL POST
BigBB
User since 1/4/08

Hey guys,

I've got a 13 year old nephew that is just begging me to get out and get his first deer but he has had a bad case of Ulcerative Colitis for the last two years and needs to be able to go #2 at all times.

I really want to take him out but I'm a public land hunter and my style of hunting would be almost impossible for him to do.

Does anybody have any suggestions at all? 

Thanks in advance...

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
2/14/23 @ 5:55 PM
Mathues
User since 12/10/22

If you’re close to Pierce County PM me and I’ll put you in an ADA stand with your nephew produces the deer every day of the season

Sick Child Begging To Deer Hunt photo by Mathues
1/17/23 @ 9:58 PM
LIEBE
User since 1/8/03

What area are you located in?

9/23/22 @ 12:31 PM
fishtrapp
User since 6/16/09

If you can't hunt the way you normally do, then change it up.  I'm not sure why you would be looking for someone to tell you that.  Put up a ground blind and have him sit with you.  I have battled that disease most of my life...you just need to make adjustments.

9/22/22 @ 8:00 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Not sure if you are wanting to take him bow or gun hunting but there is a youth 2 day gun hunt in a couple weeks.

9/22/22 @ 7:49 PM
Wingbone1
User since 10/28/15

Check out a group that takes kids out. There is a group called USSA the take a lot of kid out hunting. They are like a make a wish organization. They bring kids every year to are turkey youth hunt to get the kids out hunting. The gal Brigid that helps run the program is awesome.

Sick Child Begging To Deer Hunt photo by Wingbone1
9/22/22 @ 1:56 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I commented on your other post, but I will agree that if you're looking to get the kid exposed to deer hunting, you may need to alter your approach. I get it that on public it's tough to do that if you want to see deer, but in deer hunting, sometimes you don't see deer.  Use it as an opportunity to explain what you normally do and how far back you try to get. Maybe he'll surprise you and be up for going farther after hearing that.  Or maybe you can find something not too far of a walk and work together to create a ground blind. Cool experiences are what draw people to it. It's not always about filling a tag. 

9/22/22 @ 12:54 PM
BigBB
User since 1/4/08

I should've mentioned that the kid will not always have energy to hunt the way I do on public. All that walking is not going to be possible on most days.

9/22/22 @ 12:16 PM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06

This isn't meant to be a cut on you but the answer is change your style.  If you continue to hunt the way you want to, then the hunt is all about you.  If you change to accommodate your nephew, then the hunt is about him.  You have to ask yourself what is more important...your needs being met, or his.  No easy solution.  Good luck.

My solution would be still hunt like you are out west.  Pack a small trowel and TP in your pack.  When he has to do his thing, dig a hole, bury it, and continue to hunt.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE