SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Safety harness Question

1/5/22 @ 3:14 PM
INITIAL POST
mikieb
User since 10/11/15

I managed to find a way to hunt the whole year from my tree stands without once putting my safety harness on, not a single time....   Not very smart. I know the danger. A young fella from the very town I live in was killed by a fall from his tree stand this year. 

I'm looking for a Safety harness that id not a PIA that I will actually use.

Do you have a safety harness that you like ? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
3/2/22 @ 9:21 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

X2. I use hss vest type harness. It’s easy to use pretty quiet and good piece of mind. Honestly, I really can’t see why anyone wouldn’t wear one. At the very least, wear SOMETHING. It’s not worth the risk. IMO.

1/22/22 @ 2:26 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Heavy synthetic rope works just peachy.

1/22/22 @ 11:03 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Want to know what most of you use for extra large trees. The supplied straps are way to short to go around many of the big oaks I use. I haven’t been using one when using a double ladder stand but sometimes I wonder if I should.

1/14/22 @ 8:06 AM
shootist7
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/14

I too wear a HSS harness, a vest type. I was a WI and IL Hunter Safety Instructor for a long time and was a TMA (treestand manufactures association) certified treestand instructor. As an instructor, I received the statewide incident reports and too many were about treestand incidents. Thankfully, all my years up in a treestand, haven't put it to use.... yet! 

1/10/22 @ 7:36 AM
Donski
User since 8/11/14

I also have a Tree Spider harness and it is great lite you don't even know you have it on. I have a scent blocker jacket and it has clips on the inside of the jacket .

1/9/22 @ 9:48 AM
Silvia180sxboy
User since 4/14/08

I have a Tree Spider harness that I really like. I wear it underneath my last layer and on the way to the stand. Aside from the bungee cord hanging out of the collar, I can't even tell that it's there. 

1/8/22 @ 1:59 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

I am going to add that I keep my tree strap real high.  I want to feel a touch of tension when I sit down.    This keeps the strap out of the way for shooting and if I fall I dont fall far.    The Muddy has a stretchy strap so when I fell I didnt hurt my back, my nuts or hit my face on anything.   I had a sore finger for a week and that was it.    Went in a different stand and shot a buck an hour later.   

1/8/22 @ 1:30 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

I have a muddy safeguard and I barely know I have it on.   Saved me once when a hang on cable broke and fell like a trap door.   Roughly $75 and you get a linemens belt for use hanging stands or as your tree strap.    

1/7/22 @ 2:25 PM
Skunky ll
User since 1/11/21

55 yrsold, been using climber for 30+ years, been using harness for 15/20 yrs, my New Year resoloution aftr reading this is to start using it on way up!!

This is a good read!!

1/7/22 @ 1:21 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

Summit Pro harness    $99.99

best hundo you'll ever spend!

1/7/22 @ 11:19 AM
thurston
User since 12/13/09

I have a harness that is made by Summit Tree Stands that I have used the last 4 years and I love it. I can wear it under my coat if I choose with plenty of strap to hook up. A lot of the good hunting coats made these days have slits in them in the back just for the safety strap. I got my harness at Fleet Farm. I think it was like 50 bucks. Well worth it and gave the wife some peace of mind. 

1/7/22 @ 9:35 AM
jlkohl
User since 6/9/02

Same here...not sure which one, but an HSS harness type, not vest style.  Always worn under jacket. Never go in stand without it. Every stand on the farms I hunt, we also have life lines...secure from top to bottom. I also know someone who fell and his back is still a mess!

1/7/22 @ 9:21 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I have a HSS one as well, forget the name but its just straps and not a vest.  Might be the bowhunter one.  Didn't want the vest for early season heat.  I like it because I can put it under my layers during gun season too.

I use a climber often and I used to only strap it to the tree when I got to my height.  Then I was on a slippery oak tree and the climber wasn't digging in well.  After that I started climbing with it.  It honestly takes an extra minute maybe.  I just leave the tree strap a little loose so I can slide it up as I go.  Move it up as high as I can reach and then climb to it, do it again.  Even with it a little loose its not coming off the tree.  Gives me a little more piece of mind.

1/6/22 @ 12:48 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

HSS is the way to go without question.

If I offend anyone with the next sentence, I don't apologize for it.  You are a friggin' moron if you go up without a harness.

There is NO argument you can give for not wearing one.  None.  Hunted with a guy in his early 20's years ago when I was in my mid-40's.  He said he didn't wear one because it was too restrictive.  End of he day, we meet by the trucks as we all came out from different spots.  I looked at him and said, "Gee, hauled my climber & gun, wearing my heavy clothes, well over a mile hike, AND wearing my harness.  Yet Mr. Tough-guy, almost 1/2 my age can't?"  Problem is you can't get through to some people.

1/5/22 @ 10:46 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I have a hunter safety harness also and wear it under my outer layer.. honestly don't even know its there but it is... after wearing 1 for going on 10 years now I climbed into a stand this year without 1 and felt so unsafe I climbed down and went and got mine that I forgot. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE