Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Price County deer hunting

11/3/15 @ 10:02 AM
ORIGNAL POST
wale
User since 2/12/13
Just want to start this because I'm not always up but like to know what is happening. So hopefully there is people that are hunting up here.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 85 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/5/17 @ 5:17 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13

I'll agree with u there lakeshiner

4/5/17 @ 2:43 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Its terrible, no one should hunt up there.  I'll suffer through it for everyone else.

4/5/17 @ 10:50 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I gun hunted up there about 20 years ago,  we camped,  3 guys,  we saw one deer in 4 days.  there was snow,  we cut 3 tracks in 4 days and the snow was there before the season started.  For what it's worth,  I think they should just clear cut the whole county.

4/4/17 @ 6:18 PM
WIfish1966
User since 2/23/17

CDAC Feedback NEEDED NOW April 3-13, 2017

Strongly URGE hunters of Price County to go online and provide some feedback to the CDAC Online Public Comment Form regarding deer populations observed, sightings, browse issues, etc. Recently, Price County CDAC came out with their preliminary antlerless tag quota, which if you are keen on what has been going on over the past couple of years, you might come to the same conclusion as I. Although I believe the vast majority of Price County deer herd is in a grave situation, you should check out the deer metrics for yourself AND NOT THE DNR's flawed SAK formula population estimate (+/- 121% accuracy or could that equate to inaccuracy).

Just an FYI, the preliminary numbers for this year and those from 2016 (for comparison) are as follows:

2016             2017

Proposed antlerless harvest quota               500            1,000

Proposed bonus antlerless permits

Private                                                  900             1,750

Public                                                   350                675

The CDAC committee is supposed to take ALL the metrics (crop damage, collisions, browse issues, fawn/doe ratio, predation, etc.) into account to come up with the proposed numbers. NOTE: The local DNR biologist is NOT supposed to sway opinion as this committee (made of 7 local persons representing various areas such as tourism, transportation, agriculture, forestry, club, etc.) is charged with determining the numbers. The DNR also is supposed to share herd estimates on a statewide and or regional basis (i.e. North Central Forest) as local estimates are typically inaccurate using the SAK formula (see Dr Kroll's report) so as to give the committee a GENERAL idea on the overall herd condition. As of late, it appears as if the DNR has been sharing local data and may have some hidden agenda (I hope not).  Case in point: Price County DNR has made the statement at the recent committee meeting that the deer herd has increased locally by 50%. Of course, anybody who does not look into ALL the metrics and relies on this flawed number will come to the conclusion that "Price County deer herd is exploding" or "there is a deer around every tree". With this ONLY in mind, I can see where the uneducated person would think that offering a huge increase in antlerless tags would be feasible. Thus, the preliminary antlerless quota noted in the above chart.

Keep in mind when coming to your own conclusion and providing feedback to the CDAC, Price County has NO widespread browse issues, no increase in collisions, very little crop damage yet our fawn/doe ratio is well below the optimum value to grow the herd AND there has been a noticeable increase in PREDATION (with no control mechanisms). Do not look short term here folks. You may see some fluctuations in the annual deer herd (local sightings) or congregation on farm fields (where the food is), but we MUST look at longer term trends.

The fact is:  THE OVERALL DEER HERD estimates in the North Central Forest Region are near a 30-year low. Kills may not be a true indicator of the deer herd health, as the DNR continues to provide MORE OPPORTUNITIES (i.e. crossbow, holiday hunts, 4-day antlerless hunts) all of which will increase the number of kills. When we look at data, it MUST be apples and apples. Additional opportunities will sway the hunter into thinking "more kills, then there must be more deer".

Again, to build the herd, we must set goals (PRICE COUNTY is in an INCREASE MODE) and stick to agendas that will make this a reality. Without an adequate fawn/doe ratio, without mechanisms to control the predation, and with an increased proposal of antlerless tag issuance, WE WILL NOT GROW THE HERD. In fact, it may continue to spiral down.

Think LONG term, not SHORT term when you provide your honest feedback on the CDAC online public comment form:

1. Go to http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/cdac.html (WI DNR website, search CDAC)
  2. Select the ONLINE PUBLIC COMMENT FORM near the top of the page
  3. Select your DEER MANAGEMENT UNIT from the drop-down menu

No feedback is just that. Let your voice be heard!!!!! Topics to provide feedback include predation, baiting, sightings, trending comparables and, most important, whether you agree or NOT with the preliminary quota.

3/6/17 @ 9:52 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

During gun season I saw a nubby buck and my son saw 2 does. Still very poor hunting on the public land. 

11/30/16 @ 9:01 AM
wale
User since 2/12/13

how did everyone do this gun season in price county this year? Screwed up on a buck this past sunday didnt have my gun ready and i spooked him before i could be ready. so overall i hunted four days up there and saw two deer both were in the same stand set. so it wasnt the worst deer season i ever had. probably one of the better ones up north thats for sure. saw more deer at my cabin then where i hunt in clark county.

11/11/16 @ 9:03 AM
wale
User since 2/12/13

Anybody on here that hunts down it kennan or catabwa? How is the deer herd down there? 

11/11/16 @ 9:02 AM
wale
User since 2/12/13

Well with gun season around the corner. What is it looking like for gun hunting is there any decent bucks out there? What u think about the weather we are having, hopefully it won't put a damper on deer movement but I think it will. We need a little snow for the season. Just my opinion, it's a lot easier swing deer with snow.

11/7/16 @ 8:10 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
I walked my hunting grounds this weekend. I walked over 1 mile and did not see a single rub or scrape. A new area I will be hunting about 1 mi. away was a bit better. Several rubs and trails. This is by a new cutover compared to a cutover from 2009. 

10/16/16 @ 8:49 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I actually saw my 3rd buck of the year too.  Last year at this time I saw 0, so it seems a little better.  They have been 1.5 year olds, but that's what I expect when sort of starting over.  Last year I had the same ratio of small to big bucks on camera which is sort of out of whack.  Should really be more small ones.  Not expecting much for gun season yet, but good to see a few more bucks.  Have seen does as well but more than half didn't have a fawn which is still a little sad.  Sounds like others are seeing fawns though.

DISPLAYING 51 TO 60 OF 85 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.