Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

MFL Land

8/24/16 @ 8:53 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BagoBoy320
User since 11/4/10

I found a small parcel of MFL land that I was looking to hunt this year that could be promisiong and I doubt it gets a lot of pressure from others because of the size (very small). My big concern is the area is surrounded by private land and I really dont want to come out of the woods to find a landowner chewing me a new one. Just inquiring about others experiences hunting MFL land Good/Bad

When asking permission to access private land to recover a deer anyone find it better to request permission prior to the archery season or cross that bridge when it gets there.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/27/16 @ 8:05 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

How does everyone seem to know where you are? 

8/27/16 @ 6:52 AM
iceman1973
User since 6/30/14
im a bow hunter & my problem with mfl land is gun hunters putting there stands within site of my stand knowing my stands there's when there's hundreds of acres around me. & having none hunting people walk by my stand knowing im there.

8/25/16 @ 7:21 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Everyone wants to shoot a big buck,  no one can deny that.   If a private landowner is near MFL or has MFL,  it's their fault for putting it in the program if they wanted people to stay out.  they are getting the tax break and if they can't handle someone shooting a spike buck,  well it's the bed you made for yourself.  I'd say keeping a neighbors goals in mind is asking a lot.  this is coming from a guy that has a big chunk of private to hunt.  My neighbors are A holes....so would i like them not to shoot everything that walks on their 10 acres that buts my 170,  yeah,  that would be great if they didn't shoot the whole family group during gun.

You can't tell people what to do and you sure as heck can't make them.

MFL is what it is....it's free,  but it's not better than public,  if anything,  its worse.

At least when you hunt public the saying goes "if I don't shoot it,  someone else will" so the mindset is the same for the most part (which i don't believe anyway)

8/24/16 @ 11:24 PM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

Bago,

If you suspect that the area is QDAM you could just reach out to some of the other land owners to ask what their goal is, and just try to hunt with those goals in mind. That would also help establish the recovery of wounded animal relationship you are worried about.

8/24/16 @ 3:11 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I can guarantee big or small it gets lot of pressure. Ever since the state mapped them on their website these properties get pounded hard. Especially by squirrel hunters.

8/24/16 @ 2:51 PM
BagoBoy320
User since 11/4/10

thanks for the responses, the land is "open" which I confirmed with the DNR rep and it borders a public access road so wont have to worry about tresspassing.  Biggest concern is how other land owners take to someone bowhunting someone else's owned land that they put up for MFL, especially if they practice QDM.

8/24/16 @ 9:15 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I don't think there's anything the landowner can do to stop you from accessing the MFL parcel through the private parcel.  It comes down to what you want to put up with.  If a landowner landlocks an MFL parcel with private land, they're trying to keep it off limits to the public while taking advantage of the tax break.  I've seen it many times.  While the landowner has to let you access the MFL land through the private land, I'm sure you're likely going to have to deal with some level of hostility from the landowner.  It sucks but that's typically the reality in these cases.  My best advice would be to contact the landowner and ask what route he'd prefer you take through his private land to access the MFL.  You'll likely get a taste for how the relationship is going to go during that initial conversation.

As far as asking permission to retrieve a wounded animal on private land.  I have always established that permission with surrounding landowners before the season opens. 

8/24/16 @ 9:13 AM
jch84
User since 8/4/08

Make sure you know your boundaries and keep a phone handy.  I have had alot of success hunting MFL/FCL land but have also had people hassle me.  Generally, a chat with a sheriff or warden will take care of any zealous adjacent landowners.  You should not avoid the open properties because of people like that.  Just make sure you are doing it legally, and you have nothing to worry about. 

8/24/16 @ 9:04 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Boy this is a loaded question...it depends if it's OPEN or CLOSED MFL.

Open you can just go hunt without permission,  you may not use a ATV or other vehicle to access the land.  Usually there is a area you can park or access the land,  they are supposed to have that.

One thing I can tell you is Open MFL they owner can't deny permission.  Closed MFL they can deny permission.

I'd say hunt the stuff if it's open and make sure you put a good hit on the deer.  Cross the road of asking permission to retrieve an animal later.

I personally have had BAD luck on Open.  legally it's open but they typically make you feel like you can't be there and do stuff to keep you away so to speak.  I've run into it a few times on MFL in Marquette co.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.