Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Lakewood, Townsend, Mountain areas

10/6/11 @ 11:29 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Mt Dew
User since 6/23/01
How has the deer activity been in the Townsend, Lakewood, & Mountain areas?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 399 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/7/18 @ 2:25 PM
WindLaker1
User since 7/3/08

Always gun hunt, occasionally bowhunt.

Split bowhunting between Mountain, Adams Co. and South Dakota.

12/7/18 @ 2:12 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

Great buck Windlaker, congratulations!  Do you mainly rifle hunt the area or bowhunt also?

12/7/18 @ 12:29 PM
WindLaker1
User since 7/3/08

Scout,

Here is my buck (rifle kill) in Oconto County.  Just off Old 64, East of Hy. 32.

Shot him Sunday afternoon...only deer I saw opening weekend.

12/6/18 @ 12:55 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

I constantly hear people saying how there are "no deer" or "no bucks" or "only dinks" up in this area.  For anyone willing to share, I'd love to see the biggest buck you have harvested, or caught on trail camera from this general area.  Lets see some bucks!

12/4/18 @ 9:25 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

So deer walking in front of a camera are heading to a bait pile, eh?  That is impressive internet detective work...

12/3/18 @ 8:23 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06

We found a new trick guys are using up there, we found a couple blinds with bird feeders hung out in front. Guess technically it is legal as long as the deer can't reach it. That  is  besides all the piles of squirrel food scattered around in the woods.

12/3/18 @ 9:23 AM
GET ESOX
GET ESOX
User since 5/30/12

Great rifle buck Scout!  We hunted Tuesday through Sunday of muzzleloader.  We saw more deer than we ever have, almost every sit, but none had any head gear.  They were moving early too, with deer showing up around 130pm some days.  Find the acorns and the deer will be there.  Bucks on camera, so they were around.  Only hunted one morning, just hunted afternoons. Cameras were showing limited early morning movement so we stayed out not wanting to blow deer out of our areas.  Didn’t want to poke around too close to the bedding areas to sit, the deer this time of year are much less accepting of any human intrusion.  Good luck to all still sticking it out!  

12/1/18 @ 6:58 AM
phishmann
User since 4/28/08

A few pics. 

12/1/18 @ 6:53 AM
phishmann
User since 4/28/08

“You get out - what you put in”.  So true in many aspects in life. In my opinion. Whether it be kids, job, hunting, etc. I agree with Scout. Many guys just show up and expect the woods to do the work. The northern herd is a different breed. Super touchy. Couple recent trail cam pics. 

11/29/18 @ 10:31 AM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

Congrats Scout on the deer...anyone find the other one you shot with the bow?  I hunted south of Carter all day Saturday, half day Sunday, Friday aft and Saturday aft.  Saw 4 doe opening day.  Nothing after.  I did get a buck on my land down south on Wednesday. 

Our group as a whole saw more deer than years past.  One youth hunter shot a doe, another a nubby (barf sound) and another cousin shot a basket 8, but that was it.   I guess not bad results for 9 people. 

Lets be honest, many northwoods hunters (me included some years) sit in that one traditional stand and just sit and wait.  The deer numbers are not what they once were.  You get out what you put in hunting up north.  Sure you may get lucky and get a deer to walk by your traditional stand, but most successful hunters have many stands that use the wind and food sources to their advantage.  I wish I had more time to do this as I did in my 20s and early 30s....lol     

Word is a massive logging operation is commencing in N Oconto / S Forest soon.  Hoping that will be the ticket for more deer and opportunity.  For our group of hunters, its been a rough go for many of our group the last decade.

On to late season.....

-WW

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 399 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.