Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Lakewood, Townsend, Mountain areas

10/6/11 @ 12:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Mt Dew
User since 6/23/01
How has the deer activity been in the Townsend, Lakewood, & Mountain areas?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 403 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/30/20 @ 9:05 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

Oh, if you're not following along, the Oconto county CDAC recommended 150 tags public and 300 private. It appears that the NRB overruled that recommendation and is implementing a zero quota for the forest zone!

6/30/20 @ 8:42 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

After airing concerns with the metrics and highlighting the dissatisfaction with hunters not seeing the deer, the CDAC still voted to issue so called "token tags "! The CDAC has failed to meet the objective of increasing the herd.  1 doe tag being issued is to much.  It appears that the NRB has taken the torch to increase the herd. Some accountability within the CDAC needs to be had. No does, Thanks NRB for doing what's right!!!

4/16/20 @ 9:38 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

The public comment period is open for the cdac committee to review.  If you listened to the meeting a quota of 150 was recommended. There seems to be members on the committee (2 to 3) that are listening to hunters. I know for the past two years the majority of people have been saying deer sightings are down during public comment period. Just look back. Now that the science numbers are matching what the hunters are saying attention has seem to be gotten. I know you can only beat your head against the wall for so long but don't give up people!  Fyi, Forest County is recommending a zero quota for this year and they are more similar to northern Oconto County then we are of the farmland zone of southern Oconto County. The momentum is swinging and this could be the year of zero quota! Lets increase the herd! 

4/6/20 @ 12:35 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

Oconto County CDAC meeting this evening!  This meeting is being completed through conference call.  Listen to the meeting!!

When: April 6th, TODAY 

Time: 6pm

Call in #: 855-947-8255

Code: 9336-097 # 

3/26/20 @ 8:33 PM
Bugeye1
User since 9/25/14

I encourage everyone to watch the report. I've hunted these parts since the 1980's and have definitely seen a decline in deer. The dnr has every excuse for poor deer numbers under the sun except over harvest of does. It is very clear they dont want a buck only year or years. Steady decline of herd the past three years and they still purpose an upside to setting a doe quota. Per the report towards the end, ANY harvest of does will result in a decrease of deer population!! The goal has been and will still be to increase the herd. I hope the CDAC will bear down and do the right thing. I encourage everyone to prepare statements for the public comment peroid. Trying to stay positive here.

https://dnrmedia.wi.gov/main/Play/68b76fbd4b55460eac335f3925fd7cfc1d?catalog=d8199cb414f345b99ff34fc59139abfd21

12/6/19 @ 1:24 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

lol i have property in Shawano county, Dude.. where it's supposedly the same with our 14 tags between gun and bow. My buddy i own it with and a few others hunted that property and saw some does opening morning and that was it. It was brutal down that way this year for gun from the sounds of it. No doubt I'll take the sightings for up in this area, i was very pleased. There's just some new form of excitement each year going from AG country in Shawano and Waupaca county where i spend loads of time bowhunting, and do see some really nice deer, and changing to the big woods challenge. It's a refreshing feeling when the season begins to become a real grind. 

12/6/19 @ 12:47 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I hunt Waupaca County where there is supposedly a deer behind every tree and I saw 1 buck, 1 doe and 2 unidentified on opening day!  I shot the buck.  Your sightings sound pretty good for the big woods!

12/6/19 @ 10:02 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Lol oh no, SK... that's brutal!! I had a good year actually all things considered. Lost my uncle the weekend prior to opener so wasn't able to get out as much as i had originally planned both scouting and hunting. Anyway, made the best of it - saw 11 opening day, 2 small bucks i passed and 9 does. My buddy missed an 8 pointer as well so all in all i'd consider that a success. spent the rest of gun season hanging out with family and friends. 

12/5/19 @ 12:18 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

Did anyone have any luck over the firearms season? I ended up passing a young 8 opening day and saw 6 does so I was plenty happy.  Checked a camera that was 100 yards from my gun stand while walking out on Opening evening to find that the big guy made an appearance the afternoon before the opener.  Haha they know how to get a guy all fired up!!

11/20/19 @ 2:35 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Spent an hour yesterday making sure the stand was set and found someone's bow hunting honey hole about 200 yards from it... 6 scent wicks hanging from tree limbs... i wish guys would remove their trash after their sit   . Hoping to catch one or two coming from some private fields into thicker bedding that I will be set up in between. Good luck everyone!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 403 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.