Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How long do bow strings last?

9/19/19 @ 11:01 PM
ORIGNAL POST
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I have a PSE Thunder Flite Express I got in 1994. I had the string replaced about 9-10 years ago, but have not used it much since then. How long are bow strings good for? Am I asking for trouble if I hit the range?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/24/19 @ 4:14 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Yes, at 9-10 years of sitting with no waxing or exercise (shooting), you are asking for trouble. Modern bowstring materials are leaps and bounds better than they were in the 1990's, but they are not made of unicorn hair and are subject to the affects of time, weathering and temperature/humidity fluctuations. I would not even consider drawing (let alone trying to fire) a bow that has sat, unused for that length of time. Strings and cables are not that expensive when you take into account the cost of an ER bill for injuring yourself. Plus, that thing will more than likely shoot a WHOLE LOT better with new duds on it. Good luck and be safe!

9/20/19 @ 12:03 PM
pikeaction
User since 2/13/03

Typically, I change mine every 3 or 4 years but I shoot often.  Your best bet would be to take it to an archery shop in your area and have them look it over for you.  They will let you know if its needed or not.  Good Luck!

9/20/19 @ 8:56 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

It depends on how much you shoot it, the care you give your bow, and weather factors, etc.  I think 9-10 years is pushing it when it comes to the life of your string.  Bring it to a bow shop and see what they say if you're not sure.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.