LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gun Season Set Ups

11/18/15 @ 10:38 AM
ORIGNAL POST
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07
I realize that, yes, there is a gun hunting forum on lake-link but I am much more interested in addressing this question to the bowhunters on this site that also gun hunt. What I'm wondering is, what type of set are you hunting on opening day this year? What do you key in on as far as terrain goes? It seems that tons of guys sit on open hardwoods ridge tops, this allows you to see a great distance but what I've noticed is those hunters who are also bowhunters tend to hunt much differently than gun only hunters. Just curious as to what your gun set up this season is? Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/18/15 @ 3:48 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
The difference for me is that our group increases from 1-3 people hunting to 6-7 of us hunting and I don't hunt in my bow stands. We all have own box blinds that have heaters and they range between 12' and 30' tall. Normally the one neighbor lets me shoot anything on his property, but this year he will have his buddy out there. I still can shoot about 100-150 yards in almost any direction. My box blind is pretty much the best deer movement spot on the farm for rifle season so I get lucky in that aspect.

Then on Wednesday-Friday I typically go out to my uncle's farm in Jackson county. He has over 100 acres and most of it is big ag fields with very few trees and a big creek bottom through the middle. The group typically gets a few off this piece every year as well.

I am using a brand new Winchester Model 70 in .270 topped with a Vortex Viper 4-16x44. Really nice gun that I'm looking forward to using.

11/18/15 @ 1:34 PM
snipe n
User since 9/10/07
Not going, as I like to get it done bow hunting and I got a 8pt already which one is enough for my family. Just a greater sense of accomplishment getting them close, making a shot. Also, I really love duck hunting more than anything else. IF I hadn't got one with my bow. I would be where I bow hunt in the edge of the thick stuff looking into the thick stuff. Good luck to all this weekend. Big Smile

11/18/15 @ 1:01 PM
FISH-EM
FISH-EM
User since 5/12/09
well since I don't own a firearm I will be bow hunting this season and I just hope while I am sitting people walking around push the deer towards me

11/18/15 @ 12:50 PM
Torrent1
User since 4/25/14
I hunt the same locations with a rifle as I do a bow. Funnels between bedding n food (in gun season funnel between all the neighbors and safety). I can see out to 200yds across a small field but the woods 75yd wide draw that's thick and leads to an even thicker 30acers. My rifle is a 308win zeroed dead on 250yds so I can hold on the animal from 30-300yds and I do have a few spots I can reach out that far.

11/18/15 @ 12:34 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07
Thanks for responding guys and gals, its fun to hear what other people set up for. I'm in a new spot this year in the same general area that I've been bowhunting for a few years now. Lots of big oak ridges loaded with acrons and tons of buck sign. We got lots of big buck photos on these ridges at night so I know they like to feed there and check for does up on top. While bowhunting a few weeks ago I followed a trail down into this huge bowl of a valley on the backside of a small lake. The bowl is loaded with thick popples, berry bushes, and a small marsh grass and alder thicket which was torn up with rubs. It seems like a perfect bedding area/ escape area with about 4-5 of the huge oak ridges begining at the rim of the bowl. I find a nice pinch point in the bowl between the marsh grass and a steep rocky section of the ridge, furthest shot is maybe 70 yards but it should hold deer all day when the shots start. Good luck to everyone this weekend and be safe.

11/18/15 @ 12:29 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08
Bow hunting is a stand sitting game. Rifle hunting is more fun for me because you can move around and force the deer to move. Those big bucks like to lay low during daylight hours and there is nothing you can do about it during bow season. With a rifle it is a different story, I have a great time sneaking around swamps trying to locate and get a shot at one. That's what I consider "hunting". Sitting on stand is waiting to get lucky.

11/18/15 @ 12:16 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10
same set ups as i stay home and hunt down here all guys go up north . I bow hunt during the gun season just more of a challange, besides most of my shots are 30 yards or less anyway.

11/18/15 @ 11:32 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
deerdog, I'm hunting with my wife this year too but not pregnant, she just wants to go. I feel like we have the same views of gun season though LOL.

11/18/15 @ 11:27 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I'm in the corner of a creek bottom and a thick low draw, where they come together.

I always thought the open hardwoods may work the first day before they know what's going on. But even that can vary. Like where I hunt now there are so many more people that I think the deer figure it out on the Friday before. Where I used to hunt the pressure was less and the deer were more apt to be out in the open on the first day.

11/18/15 @ 11:25 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04
Same spot on public the last two years...both bucks shot at less than 30 yards.

Thick crap. Couple openings on one side, but I never see deer in them...always in the thick junk.

Gotta be alert, sit all day, and be scent free.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.