SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Face Paint

10/29/20 @ 8:58 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I always follow a strict scent regime when I bow hunt. In the past couple of years I have tried several brands of face paint and they all stink badly. The multi colored packs of clay like sticks all stink like a box of crayons. I just want an easy to apply black covering that washes off when I am done. Most of the warriors on hunting shows seem to have found something that works. What is it? Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
5/11/21 @ 10:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I wouldn't worry about smell,  the deer are going to smell "you" anyway if they get the wind.  Face paint smell should be the least of your worries.  Personally I'm not a face painter,  just for turkey as I hate head nets.  

2/21/21 @ 7:56 PM
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

Head net is so much easier.

2/15/21 @ 3:00 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

2/14/21 @ 2:16 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I had a small three pack of camo colors I tried because I thought it would make it harder to see my eyes staring at them, but it smelled like the grease rack at the Garage. Went with a hat with a face net and liked that better.

2/14/21 @ 9:22 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Read Fred Bear's ten rules of deer hunting with a bow and you won't need face paint. Key word, motionless !!!

2/13/21 @ 5:13 PM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

Growing a beard is a great idea, until your are over 50.

Soon it is snow white and if long enough, wavy.  

1/20/21 @ 12:07 AM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07

Hardy face paint ez on ez off

11/17/20 @ 10:50 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

The eye black worked great. Almost odorless and easy to apply and remove. Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Now I just need to remember to  put it on. You get into a routine and sometimes new stuff gets left out. Mrt.

11/10/20 @ 12:23 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Rawlings baseball eye black works well (looks like black lipstick and is $2 at WalMart or any sporting goods store)...but I prefer the Hunter Specialties three-color face pain sticks (basically green, brown and black chapstick all in one holder). I believe anything that breaks up the white 'moon' of your face in low light will help. I also play the wind and believe you cannot fully eliminate human scent. It works for me, but may not work for everyone. I have also used burnt cork (make sure it is REAL cork, not artificial), but it doesn't seem to stick to my face and stay on as long. There is no way face paint smells more than human odor or your breath to a deer. Just find what works for you and gives you confidence and use it...I don't like face masks because it interferes with my anchor point when I shoot my bow.

11/9/20 @ 9:25 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Just grow a beard, natural face mask.  In all honesty I quit wearing face masks and never noticed a difference.  I think sometimes a guy does something all the time and just assumes it's necessary.  Deer are like a T-rex, its more about the movement.  

I worry more about my overall silhouette.  I don't want them to see the shape of a human or something odd hanging off a tree.  If they pick that out, it won't matter how good your face is covered.

11/8/20 @ 12:32 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Thats it skunky.  Cork. That was the best stuff when we were younger.  Cork not so common to find nowdays but still around.  Burnt wood would run a close second.

11/8/20 @ 8:33 AM
GameHog
User since 7/4/16

No odor that I can notice anyway

10/31/20 @ 1:48 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Game hog, Any odor associated with the facepaint? Mrt

10/30/20 @ 10:28 PM
GameHog
User since 7/4/16

I buy the tubes of Halloween face paint mostly black right after Halloween it’s clearanced dirt cheap. Your local Wally World is a great place to look. Wipes off pretty easy. Usually can get black, white, tan, and I think gray

10/29/20 @ 2:57 PM
cohoho
cohoho
PRO MEMBER User since 5/10/07

No face paint for me, firm believer in Hecks. I've been wearing Hecks for 4 years now and when combined with a good scent regimen, I now get the pleasure of killing deer up close. I shot the last 5 deer at distances under 20 yards. I've had squirrels sit on my tree stands and birds literally land on my rifle. totally amazing.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE