SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Deer Scents and Attractants

10/30/21 @ 9:31 PM
INITIAL POST
walleyezhunter05
User since 3/22/05
Alright I want to get all of your opinions on what you guys use in the woods for scents and/or attractants. Specifically speaking for the pre-rut/rut/post-rut. For the last few years, I’ve had a connection with a guy who has a deer farm and would overnight ship doe estrous/doe urine/buck urine anything I would need. He would tell me when his does went into estrous and ship it that day. He recently had to hang it up and got out of the business. In my opinion and experience those have been the best scents I’ve ever used in the deer woods. The proof is simply in cell camera activity and bucks I’ve harvested the last few years. Not to mention the smell is slightly different than anything else I’ve used (code blue/tinks/golden estrous). I switched this year to Raw Frozen Scents. Just got my shipment today and will be taking them into the woods for the next few weeks. Anyone used these before?!

With that being said, what’s your guys’ opinions? I know a lot of you have harvested some very nice deer and just wanted to get your opinions and experiences. Some think nothing is better. 

This is the golden time of year we all wait for. Best of luck to you all and can’t wait to see more pictures of the big boys soon. 

WalleyeZz 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
5/19/22 @ 3:15 PM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

Welderguy makes an obvious but great point.  The best way I've had luck with using scent is when there is a chance that a buck will be moving to a location where he will wind me before I can shoot.  If this is a good probability (it almost always is) I've shot some great bucks by putting a very small amount of scent to both sides of my scent stream about 20-30 yards.  Bucks will like to approach from downwind and ideally hit the scent I've laid before they hit my main scent stream and they work upwind toward where it was laid.  This can and has presented shots that normally would have been a blowing deer who is high tailing out.

5/14/22 @ 6:40 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Everything you hear says to stay downwind of deer but if ur downwind of deer they aren’t smelling the scent. If the deer are where they can smell the scent they will also smell you, correct?  I don’t use any scents for this reason. 

5/14/22 @ 9:07 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Almost asleep, I was shocked awake one warm fall, to see a doe slinking thru the woods looking intently towards where I'd hung up a wick with some Tinks. She seemed pretty spooked by zeroing in on the scent but not seeing another deer. Anyone else experience deer not approaching from the downwind side? They must detect scents from quite a distance then circle around. Very wary beasts!

5/13/22 @ 7:55 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Best is none. 

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE