SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Crossbow questions

12/18/16 @ 1:14 PM
INITIAL POST
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

What is really the difference  in  price  with crossbows ?  Any where from 200 $ to over 1100 .  I understand brand names and such . What about velocities  and poundage  ? 

I am just looking  to get back in the woods again with my bad shoulders . Not looking for 50 -60 shots , maybe 30 .

Would a 300 $ one do a reasonable  job with enough practice ? 

Displaying 41 to 50 of 92 posts
9/1/21 @ 8:36 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Thank you friends for your input.

What do you like, in regards to a case? Soft or hard?

What do you use to discharge the string?

Thanks,

Big Mac 

9/1/21 @ 6:35 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Sounds like a nice xbow big Mac. Definitely has the punch for hunting. 

Good point by lakeshiner for hard foam target. I have a 3d deer target that I've had for decades.  Fine for the vertical bow but the xbow at 415fps drills it hard. I tap out with a rubber mallet. Lol

Rail lube after every 50 shots or so. Atleast that what is suggested. Sling, I don't use one but I also don't have a long walk either. Good Idea to get a case for transport and off season storage. 

Bow String wax is good idea too. Keep it tacky during use. Just adds life to the string over time. I've been using it for years on the vertical. 

I have our 2 xbows sighted in at 10, 20, 30, 40.  40 yards is really pushing it for me on a Deer. I won't take that far of a shot other than on a target. 

Have fun with the new bow. Keep us posted how the experience is.

9/1/21 @ 10:10 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Lakeshinner

Thank you for your assistance. Much appreciated!

Big Mac 

9/1/21 @ 7:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I would get the Yellow Jacket small bag discharge target.  Also a larger bag for target practice.

Don't buy the hard foam targets.  One shot and you'll bury that bolt into them and be swearing as you try and remove it.  I now use it as a small table.

Slings work great unless you are packing in a climber, then it obviously won't work.

I have a Steddy-Eddy as well, Ten Point's name for a monopod.  Makes free handing a lot easier to hold still.  Can rest it on your hip and hold the crossbow up with 1 hand.

If you plan on pulling it up the tree with a rope, think about what you currently have because it will be heavier compared to a compound.  Make sure any clip is strong enough.

9/1/21 @ 7:42 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Wicked Ridge Invader 400. 400 fps.

Mainly hunting whitetails. But need to get efficient with this new weapon. 

Big Mac 

8/31/21 @ 8:16 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Share what brand/model you ended up buying?  Like to know what lb and FPS setup you got.

What is your intent?   Sink bolts into a target or pursue the elusive whitetail? 

8/31/21 @ 7:56 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I bought the crossbow at a small local shop close to my cabin up north. Just wanted to support a small business. 

So going to his shop is tuff.

Big Mac 

8/31/21 @ 11:54 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Big Mac,

Did you buy your crossbow online?  I would definitely talk to a good bow shop and discuss what you need to use your equipment and take care of it.

8/31/21 @ 10:11 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I just bought my first crossbow. 

I need to know what i need?

Such as, rail lub, decocking bolt(or discharging the bolt at the end of a hunt), soft or hard case, carry sling, etc.?

Thank you, 

Big Mac 

7/6/21 @ 3:31 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Ten Point Crossbow hunter, know several more.  I use Rage, been very happy, some I know use Montec, they are happy with them.  We all agree, having the practice tip and field tips shooting identical is huge.

Displaying 41 to 50 of 92 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE