Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Crossbow questions

12/18/16 @ 1:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
One shot one kill
MEMBER SINCE 8/12/02

What is really the difference  in  price  with crossbows ?  Any where from 200 $ to over 1100 .  I understand brand names and such . What about velocities  and poundage  ? 

I am just looking  to get back in the woods again with my bad shoulders . Not looking for 50 -60 shots , maybe 30 .

Would a 300 $ one do a reasonable  job with enough practice ? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 75 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/21/22 @ 10:19 PM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

I talked to the owner of the local bow shop, and he said no problem, other than from his experience and others, most accurate with 100 gr.

9/20/22 @ 9:16 PM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Thanks.  I checked all over on line and found no problems and also talked with a guy at Cabelas who also looked on line.  I need to run over to Buck Rub tomorrow and will ask there too.

9/20/22 @ 5:33 PM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

Igor, a suggestion, check with a shop or manufacturer to see what they recommend for broadhead weight for the bow you are using.  I could be wrong, but my understanding is that crossbows are designed to shoot a certain total weight between the bolt, knock, broadhead.  

9/20/22 @ 11:20 AM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Thanks for the help guys.  To start, I'm just going to use my 125 grain Muzzy's from the compound and sight in with 125 field points.  I figure I have all of it, why not use it and save some $$$.

9/8/22 @ 11:33 AM
Walli Guy
USER SINCE 7/27/14

i shoot 100 grain wasp hammers and drone heads out of a mission sniper lite. both razor sharp out of the box, as accurate as field points and come with replacement blades

9/8/22 @ 9:32 AM
thurston
USER SINCE 12/13/09

Started using a Mission crossbow 2 yrs ago. At first I used the same Thunderheads I used with my Martin but switched to Rage mechanicals for crossbows last year. After I shot my buck a blind man could have found the blood trail. As far as shooting distance goes I could (but believe me I never would) shoot very comfortably from 50 yards. Mission crossbows are a bit pricey but they are made right here in Wisconsin and they are top quality.

9/7/22 @ 5:43 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER SINCE 6/12/10

I use Magnus Stingers in my crossbow and my compound. They shot exactly the same as my field points and come out of the box razor sharp.  Only thing i don't like is they bury all the way up to the fletchings in my target with the crossbow

9/7/22 @ 4:44 PM
mudbucket
MEMBER SINCE 12/21/04

Igor, been using Muzzys for years without any issues. Both my compound and crossbow shoot well with them. 

The bloody pic is from 2 yrs ago. Shot a deer that was hurt front leg. Found this, hit in a pretty good spot. Had to use a pliers to get one side to expand. Not sure if they were a cheap knockoff brand or old? Never heard anything bad about them. Posted some being sold on Amazon if interested..

Good luck this year.. 

"Keep it simple St...., Go with what you know". Some quotes Dad used to say...

9/7/22 @ 2:56 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

Igor, 15 years ago I had my first shoulder surgery and needed to use a cross bow. I borrowed a Barnett from a friend and used 3 blade Muzzys with it. They served me well and I continue to use them with the Ten Point I now shoot. Pics are a couple that fell victim to those Muzzies. 

9/7/22 @ 11:46 AM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

OK guys, due to a torn bicep & a broken bone in my forearm, I've gone to a crossbow.  I can still draw the compound, but holding for more than about 5 seconds is a new experience in pain!

SO, found a barely used Barnett C-5 all set up but I need broadheads and am looking for recommendations.  I see lots of positive feedback on Grim Reaper but I can't find any right now.  On my compound always used Muzzy's with no complaints.  

Also, I'd like to stay with a fixed blade if possible.  Sorry, old habits die hard.....

Thanks for the help.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 75 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.