Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Crossbow questions

12/18/16 @ 1:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
One shot one kill
MEMBER SINCE 8/12/02

What is really the difference  in  price  with crossbows ?  Any where from 200 $ to over 1100 .  I understand brand names and such . What about velocities  and poundage  ? 

I am just looking  to get back in the woods again with my bad shoulders . Not looking for 50 -60 shots , maybe 30 .

Would a 300 $ one do a reasonable  job with enough practice ? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 79 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/5/22 @ 7:23 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Sling is a great idea for those longer walks. I tend to avoid, I normally carry over the shoulder to avoid catching all the brush as I walk thru. 

Good field point target for the bulk of your practice shooting. A trashy target to sink hunting broadheads. 

Decocking bolt. I still need to get one yet. I sink a field tip into the target when I get back to the house. That gets annoying in the dark. 

Lighted scope. Great tool for low light use.

10/5/22 @ 5:02 AM
never5
USER SINCE 4/9/04

When I switched I needed to get adequate target that bolts wouldn’t go through.Also a sling is a must I find crossbow pain to carry in and out of stand comparing to a bow.

10/4/22 @ 7:32 PM
big mac
MEMBER SINCE 2/19/02

Ok, this is a very basic essential question,  regarding hunting with a crossbow. 

I finally decided it's physically time to use a crossbow. 

What are some essential i need? Certain target, rail lube, sling/case, unloading tip, etc.?

I have an Invader 400.

Thank you, 

Big Mac 

10/4/22 @ 8:30 AM
Cold Front
USER SINCE 7/9/01

Shooting a heavier arrow will not cause you problems with a crossbow. Shooting one lighter than the MFG recommends will. Mrt.

9/21/22 @ 10:19 PM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

I talked to the owner of the local bow shop, and he said no problem, other than from his experience and others, most accurate with 100 gr.

9/20/22 @ 9:16 PM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Thanks.  I checked all over on line and found no problems and also talked with a guy at Cabelas who also looked on line.  I need to run over to Buck Rub tomorrow and will ask there too.

9/20/22 @ 5:33 PM
no-luck
USER SINCE 12/14/12

Igor, a suggestion, check with a shop or manufacturer to see what they recommend for broadhead weight for the bow you are using.  I could be wrong, but my understanding is that crossbows are designed to shoot a certain total weight between the bolt, knock, broadhead.  

9/20/22 @ 11:20 AM
Igor
USER SINCE 6/20/01

Thanks for the help guys.  To start, I'm just going to use my 125 grain Muzzy's from the compound and sight in with 125 field points.  I figure I have all of it, why not use it and save some $$$.

9/8/22 @ 11:33 AM
Walli Guy
USER SINCE 7/27/14

i shoot 100 grain wasp hammers and drone heads out of a mission sniper lite. both razor sharp out of the box, as accurate as field points and come with replacement blades

9/8/22 @ 9:32 AM
thurston
USER SINCE 12/13/09

Started using a Mission crossbow 2 yrs ago. At first I used the same Thunderheads I used with my Martin but switched to Rage mechanicals for crossbows last year. After I shot my buck a blind man could have found the blood trail. As far as shooting distance goes I could (but believe me I never would) shoot very comfortably from 50 yards. Mission crossbows are a bit pricey but they are made right here in Wisconsin and they are top quality.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 79 POSTS
Advertise here
Okuma’s new Ceymar HD spinning reels are lightweight and feature-packed. These reels are constructed with a corrosion-resistant frame, side plate and rotor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - NEW Ceymar HD Spinning Reel
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.