LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Broadheads for Crossbows

5/17/20 @ 1:36 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Just looking for opinions regarding the broadheads they use with their crossbow. I am considering changing to mechanical from Thunderheads but am concerned with the penetration depth. I have tried Rage a couple times and had 50% pass through. I like having the exit wound, on the opposite side for a better blood trail. 

Should I stay with fixed blade or try the mechanical again?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/27/20 @ 8:58 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I will be trying the Slick Trick Xbow 125 grains this year. Have heard nothing but great things about Slick Tricks on other sites.

5/19/20 @ 7:23 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Thanks TunaBoat, I will check that out.

5/19/20 @ 7:06 AM
TunaBoat
TunaBoat
User since 4/11/02

Bullman.  I have never not had a pass through on the deer I have shot with the Swhacker mechanical s.  I made a poor shot on a doe last year by hitting dead center front shoulder.  I shoot for the heart/lung area like all responsible archers do.  Broke the offside shoulder and arrow exited toward front of deer.  She dropped on the spot.  My crossbow shoots 380 fps.  The longest shot I ever took was 43 yds  (ranged after the fact).  Got a complete pass through both lungs.  That buck did travel more that 100 yds  with just enough blood trail to follow.  All other tracking jobs have been less than 20yds.  Check the Swhacker website for a better explanation of how they work. I shoot the green ones pictured.  I noticed Swhacker now makes a model that open similar to Rage type mechanical s.  

5/18/20 @ 5:08 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Tuna Boat, If the broadhead doesn't open until it is inside the deer, what kind of blood trail would there be if there was not a pass through?

5/18/20 @ 4:02 PM
TunaBoat
TunaBoat
User since 4/11/02

I use Swhacker expandable 100 gr. with a 2" cut.  What separates Swhackers from most others is that they do not open until the broadhead has penetrated the hide resulting in a better chance for a pass through.  Usually not much of a tracking job needed.   

5/18/20 @ 3:42 PM
phishin phool
MEMBER since 4/5/08

Admittedly, I am no expert but, I have been using NAP Spitfire (crossbow) broadheads 100 grain, for years. They are mechnical and have been very happy with them. imho.

Edit: Oh yeah, I use a Titan Extreme. An awesome deer slayer...

5/18/20 @ 3:34 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

A copuple of years ago Tenpoint did have a problem with loose fitting lighted nocks. The nock did not fight real tight into the receiver, and a slight bump could turn it on. Never had a problem with the nock falling out though.  Since then, Tenpoint has come out with a better designed lighted nock, which eliminated all problems.  You can check them out at Tenpoints website.

5/18/20 @ 10:46 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am thinking that I will stick with the fixed blades. I will have to look at the Muzzy and Swacker brands. I have no experience with them.  Regarding lighted nocks, is there an issue with them falling out of the shaft?  I had heard that was an issue but it was a number of years ago and they may have improved the design to keep them in the arrow.

5/18/20 @ 10:25 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Swacker is what I use.

Have the Mission crossbow, this design does not allow you to turn heads. They are glued on. The bow has narrow opening for head to pass through. Again you must test shoot like said below. Make sure blades stay locked as plastic rings like to break from time to time. Bow puts the 1.75 through deer most of time, they do not go far!

Resharpen the blades look over bolt for cracks and good to get another one.

5/18/20 @ 9:47 AM
ToxDoc
User since 10/4/06

I've had 2 bad experiences with mechanicals and switched back to fixed.  Lots of quality fixed blades to choose from.  I use Slick Tricks and have had good success.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.