Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Bow Hunting in the rain?

11/17/13 @ 6:57 AM
ORIGNAL POST
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
I know the modern clothing of today can keep a guy comfortable in the rain but. Many years ago a friend stuck a good buck and shortly after the shot it started to rain. We got on the track quickly but the blood trail got washed away and we didn't find the buck until we stumbled on him dead during the gun seaon.

That was a lesson I have never forgotten and now I avoid hunting in the rain. But it still sounds like guys hunt in the rain. So I am just curious how they find there deer?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 26 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/14/14 @ 9:59 AM
gotacarp
User since 2/2/10
Northeast blood trackers association. Google deer blood dogs or somthing like that

12/14/14 @ 9:20 AM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
Full Draw

I have heard of using dogs and I agree this may work, do you have a web link you could post or phone numbers so guys could locate these dogs when we need them, as I don't know where I would find one when I needed it.

We always hear stories about guys hunting in the rain and not finding them which is too bad. I believe there was one posted on this Forum again this year.

The question isn't if the animals will move, it's a question of if we will find them. (Two seperate things)

If it is a 5 yards or 25 yard shot I don't see how guys think that will make a difference as the deer could have the same amount of blood and travel the same distance either way, but some seem to think it would? One may travel 20 yds and then the next time it could go 150yd, does anybody really know that before you take a shot?

We as Sportsman in my opinion should not be killing animals only to have them rot in the woods. We should not be teaching others this either. I personally do not have direct access to a dog, so I will stick to my ethics and not hunt in the rain.

12/14/14 @ 8:02 AM
FULL DRAW
FULL DRAW
User since 1/8/02
When it comes down to finding a deer you stuck and blood trail has washed away, the answer is find yourself a tracking dog. While a blood trail may be washed away the scent that the deer has left behind has been magnified from the rain. What most people dont realize is moisture increases scent. A good tracking dog will have no problem finding your deer. Same way birds dogs hunt better on wet days, so do deer tracking dogs

10/17/14 @ 12:19 PM
fishinfool1
User since 3/14/10
I travel to 200 miles to Deer Hunt so Rain or not I will be sitting in my tree. If its raining to hard I will stay and just observe and not shoot.I don't drive 200 miles to stay in the camp.

10/16/14 @ 1:20 PM
bassnbambis
User since 2/2/04
Smoked a 10 last night in the rain. I have seen plenty of bucks on their feet before dark when it's raining. Some may not experience this movement. It all depends on your area and the hunting pressure in that area.

10/16/14 @ 1:05 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Guess I should have gone out Tues in the drizzle. Checked my cams today and bucks were on there feet before dark.....doh!

10/16/14 @ 9:21 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I have one of those somewhere. Don't use it anymore though. The thought of a string attached to my arrow and a coil of string just makes me think of what can go wrong. I remember it would break off on the first tree it got caught on when the deer ran away, but it did give you a good direction. I knew a guy who had it unravel and he did not realize it, went to shoot and the string is all at his feet lol.

10/15/14 @ 4:39 PM
fishinfool1
User since 3/14/10
Remember the old string trackers that we used to use with our old compounds. Does anybody still use them.

10/15/14 @ 11:02 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
If it's raining cats and dogs, I will stay at home, but if its a sprinkle or starts raining when I'm already out, I'll stick it out. With rain, I'm sure to make sure I have a perfect shot, close range. I really feel comfortable shooting up to 30 yds but with a heavy rain, I will shorten that to 20 or less usually. You really have to make sure your making good decisions with your shot, you always shot with the intent of hitting both lungs/heart shot, but can get away with other vitals when you have better tracking conditions, with rain you better be hitting double lungs/heart, even if that means limiting your distance to 10yds if you ask me.

10/14/14 @ 10:14 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
If today was November 14th , I'd be out in a well roofed/protected ground set up....but you won't find me in the rain in mid october. Although blood is the easiest, it's not the only way to track a deer.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 26 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.