SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Bolts for crossbows

11/25/20 @ 7:21 PM
INITIAL POST
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

After 37 yrs of using a vertical bow, jumped to the dark side and bought myself a crossbow.  Wicked Ridge Invader to be exact.

i shot carbon in the past but would be curious if carbon or aluminum would apply for Xbows.  Are pros/cons the same whether you use vertical or Xbow?

what about lighted knocks?

any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks and shoot straight!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/29/20 @ 10:44 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

JDHuntNFish  -  Sent you a message on the 27th.  Apparently there is issues with messaging on LakeLink.   Looks like the recipient has to approve a friend request first, before messages activate.  Did you receive any messages? 

11/27/20 @ 12:24 PM
TunaBoat
TunaBoat
PRO MEMBER User since 4/11/02

South Shore Archery seems highly recommended on the Crossbow Nation Website.  I've haven't done business with them myself.  It's recommend you call them directly and ask for Jerry and he will set you up with what you need.

11/27/20 @ 11:43 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

I have been using aluminums for 10 years now and have yet to have one damaged other than the fletchings. At the speed they travel I do not see a need for spending the extra cash for carbons. I'm sure they are fine. Thinking back the only arrow that was damaged was one that stayed in the deer and broke when it took off. I tried the lighted nocks this year and liked shooting at a target. The deer I shot this year the nock did not turn on? Not sure what happened. It turned on when I picked it up after the shot. I got very lucky in finding it. 

11/27/20 @ 9:44 AM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

Same as vertical, you can shoot aluminum or carbon.  However, I would guess 98% of shooters use carbon.  They are much more durable and dependable.  Lighted nocks help in following arrow flight and finding the arrow after shooting, however they can sometimes fail.  

PS, will send PM.

11/27/20 @ 4:20 AM
JDHuntNFish
User since 10/30/05

Thanks guys!  The wicked ridge site has 3 different carbon bolts. (Pro Elite, Evo-X CenterPunch Premium, and Pro-V 22 Carbons).  All 3 have mostly high reviews but will do more research before purchasing.  

11/26/20 @ 9:57 PM
drewster
User since 7/6/09

Fish hound is right.  Mine came with some aluminum bolts, and every time I shot at a deer with them, they ended up bent.  I have the carbons now, and they hold up great.  I had one of the lights not turn on this year, so that is concerning, but every other time they have worked.  I use the remaining aluminum bolts as discharge bolts with a NUB head on it.  works great.  Fire into the ground about 8 ft away, preferably a little mound of sand or something.

11/26/20 @ 7:41 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

My guess is that aluminum arrows would not be strong enough.  Check a few websites to be sure. I'm certain they would have to be heavy duty  .

11/26/20 @ 9:18 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Go to the Wicked Ridge website amd buy the lighted nock carbon arrows designed for that bow, you will not regret it.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE