MORE
Archery

anyone seen an acorn??

10/10/16 @ 8:55 PM
INITIAL POST
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

Been in the woods in columbia county about 14 times.  I have not seen a single acorn this year.  Hunted by a corn field tonight and the squirrels were just going crazy in there dragging corn out.  Just curious if this was just this area or state wide.  One of my best spots last year was an oak woods in the middle of a large public marsh.  This year, no deer there during hunting or on camera.  Assume it is the acorn thing. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
9/12/17 @ 2:30 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Tons everywhere, Marquette and Adams.

9/12/17 @ 1:37 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Tons walworth county 

8/21/17 @ 9:26 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Tons dropping by my home in Columbia county. Was up to the land in Juneau county over the weekend. Lots up there too.

8/19/17 @ 3:35 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

Getting quite a few big acorn now.

8/5/17 @ 2:45 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

I've seen a few small ones here in columbia co. but it's still early.

8/4/17 @ 3:09 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
7thson Where have you been looking? I cant go in the woods any place in Douglas County and not see tons of acorns and hazel nuts.
8/4/17 @ 2:54 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

an update from Douglas county . So far , again this year , no acorns showing on any oaks I have looked at with binoculars . Deer grouse wood ducks turkeys gonna all be scratchin for food again this year !

12/24/16 @ 12:11 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I finally saw a few during gun season but they were small and definitely late bloomers!! Only a couple of trees had them and I'm guessing them are the ones that blossomed after May 17th???

12/22/16 @ 2:48 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

7Thson,  There was a late frost about May 17th when the oaks were in the blossom stage. None in marquette county either. None. This one  was not due to cycles. This time it was a natural disaster[ for a squirrel} Mrt.

12/22/16 @ 11:06 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Douglas and Washburn had 0 that I saw this year.

12/21/16 @ 3:17 PM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

I live in Douglas county and have oak trees in my yard , and , also hunt areas of public land with oak trees . None of these areas have had any acorns this year . Last year was bumper , but none this year . Anyone hear why ? I get it about up and down years but, usually are always some .

10/13/16 @ 7:34 PM
GUS MAX 2
GUS MAX 2
User since 1/30/12

CDs, that's good stuff.  I have seen very few also in the 8 spots that I hunt. The ones that I saw were super early(August) and they were long and skinny. Usually there are so many in a few spots you can almost roll down the hill on them. No deer in Jose spots and no squirrels either. Have also seen squirrels with full cobs in a spot that is 400 yds from a corn field. They must be hungry. Hickory nuts in full swing. Also noticed, as mentioned , that the green fields are packed with deer in comparison to other years. Waukesha county. My buddy slapped this one the other morning . 235 lbs dressed on a certified scale. Small antlers for the size of this beast.

10/12/16 @ 8:06 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

After reading this post I will also coincide that I haven't seen many acorns in grant park or my favorite oak patch in necedah!! Up in necedah they seem to be switching to young growth!! A section of public I hunt has a great section of red and white oaks about a half mile deep that is surrounded by cover and little to no sign of deer or acorns and usually always see great sign a hot old white oak and good hunting! Not this year!!! All the sign is 75 yards from the road and they seem to be using the 3 year old clear cut across the street so it's going to be time to make adjustments!!! What would I do without my loggy bayou???

10/12/16 @ 12:24 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Cant speak for everywhere, but by me in northern Jackson/southern Eau Claire Counties we had a really hard freeze late last spring. If my notes are correct, it was 17 degrees on the 17th of May.

ALL the oaks around me had leafed out quite a bit before that. The leaves were open and about the size of a quarter or larger. That freeze smoked all of them. It tooks weeks for the trees to rebud and get back to that point. Most of my oaks were still budless on Memorial weekend. Lost all my apple blossoms too.

Not 1 acorn to be had by me. I have squirrels carrying corn in my yard, and the nearest corn field is over 1/2 mile away.

10/12/16 @ 12:10 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
CDS, next week paint your helmet green and gold.  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE