MORE
Archery

An Epic 4 Day Weekend

11/7/19 @ 12:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Alright guys, I hesitate to even put this out here. I have experienced a whole bunch of negativity with things like this before, so I hope that doesn't happen again. But, I just got back from my 4 day rutcation, and I had the most epic weekend of hunting ever. I was chasing my number 1 buck, "dagger." Over the course of 4 days I had 5 encounters, two shot opportunities, and one blood trail. This is a long video, but if you have the time I feel like it is worth the watch. TONS of lessons learned on this hunt, hope anyone that watches will be able to learn from my mistakes. 

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
11/9/19 @ 1:33 AM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Thank you all for the kind words. Hindsight is 20/20. On the first shot, even though I felt completely relaxed and ready, I still do see how I rushed the shot. Even though this was a super long video, there still was a lot that had to be edited out. On the first shot, you can see my bow in the corner of the frame. While this deer was walking I was going to punch the trigger. But, I stopped myself, pulled the kisser button off my lip and took a deep breath. After that I settled the pin and shot. I still have absolutely no idea how I sent that arrow low. And then on the second shot, I take 100% full responsibility. Rushed, bad shot, that should have never been taken. I'm thankful I missed. 

I am glad that there has been encouragement, and also appreciation for this. Although this absolutely the nastiest, worst part of bowhunting. It happens. I am thankful that my true feelings of disappointment and disgust came across. In the past I have seen a lot of negativity when bad things like this happen. I want to thank you all again for your support and words of encouragement. 

11/8/19 @ 11:45 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Enjoyed the video. That is real common man type of stuff. That is what makes hunting great. If it was easy there would be no satisfaction. As others have said at 1 time or another we have all felt that way. I wish you luck on your future hunts and keep sharing your videos. I just appreciate the fact thai you appear to be a honest, hardworking, family guy that is pursueing what he loves and has found balance in his life

11/8/19 @ 8:29 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Interesting video and I appreciate you showing it all.. Every serious hunter that I know has shared some of the same "low-points" during their career. We all feel terrible when you know you have not made a good shot. I really could not believe that buck did not go nocturnal for a few days (or longer) after the first two misses.  A couple of good points about maybe rushing the 2nd shot.. My only other comment would be about misjudging the distance on your 1st shot (once again we have all been there).. I have hunted some of the same trees now for 40+ years and I still range landmarks at each location before a hunt. Just a good way to always confirm distances when the heart starts pumping when a target buck gets in range.. On the positive side you mentioned your wife stated "go get that deer" on your last day when you considered going home.. Now that is a "keeper"  

Best of luck to you or your dad catching up with dagger.. 

11/8/19 @ 12:19 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Shot was rushed and not relaxed. Seemed very un natural actually. I've been there too in my earlier years but am glad that stage of hunting I dont have on video lol.  Editing seemed good though.

11/8/19 @ 11:33 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

And great advice by LB on taking a little more time on the shot.  Easier said when done with an animal of that caliber standing in front of you.  I didn't see the first shot and will watch it later.  Like LB, in my experience, when stopping a deer you have several seconds to get you shot off, sometimes longer.  Good luck, and great video.  I give you credit for posting something like this.  You may catch some flack, but there is a ton to be learned from your experiences.

11/8/19 @ 11:26 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Yes, he did discuss his disappointment for taking the second shot and said he should have never taken it.  I won't through stones, as I totally see how it could have happened...

11/8/19 @ 9:34 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

I watched the entire video last night as I have nothing better to do while I sit in Froedtert with my fiancé.... really enjoyed your video but I just had this strange feeling about it when it finished.

I feel for ya, you could sense your pain, disgust, disappointment, etc.. however, I have to say that I thought the 2nd shot was not a shot that should’ve even been taken. I’m sure you feel the same?! Maybe you mentioned something in the video as I turned the sound way down about halfway through because my fiancé was complaining that I watch to many hunting videos... I’m not hear to tear you down, just thought the 2nd shot was on a moving animal, quartered away hard, etc. Maybe I’m wrong though. Either way, I think you have a very good chance of having another opportunity and I’d like to see you back here posting pictures of him. Keep after it and good luck!!

11/8/19 @ 7:50 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

when you stop a deer,  take your time.  you literally shot in less than a second. 9 times out of 10 you have 2-3 times longer that you need once stopped.  stop em,  get that pin where you need it, hover and pull the shot off.  You stopped him then just gripped it and ripped it in less than a second.  Calm down,  take your time.  

Next time you are on stand,  stop deer,  watch how long they stand there.  i've had deer stand for minutes...Granted there are times,  especially during rut where they are on the move and you have mere microseconds,  but you can usually read those deer.  that buck you hit,  he was in no hurry to get anywhere fast.

11/7/19 @ 10:55 PM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

I appreciate the kind words deerhunter. I am still very confused as well. My best guess, is I scathed his belly, and cut some meat on his back leg. Which led to the bleeding. I think it was just a cut, and healed rather quickly. I still have no idea how it happened. I haven't stopped thinking about it since. 

11/7/19 @ 10:20 PM
deerhunter34
User since 10/8/01

Wow - tough luck.  I feel for you and know what you are going through/went through.  I really enjoyed the video.  Well done.   I'm really intrigued at that pass through shot and the fact that he is still up and about and I can not see any limp or sign that he was hit.  Obviously he was, but you sure couldn't tell on the other sightings.

Hang in there and stay positive.  We're almost to rifle season, hopefully he shows again for you.

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE