MORE
Archery

An Epic 4 Day Weekend

11/7/19 @ 12:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Alright guys, I hesitate to even put this out here. I have experienced a whole bunch of negativity with things like this before, so I hope that doesn't happen again. But, I just got back from my 4 day rutcation, and I had the most epic weekend of hunting ever. I was chasing my number 1 buck, "dagger." Over the course of 4 days I had 5 encounters, two shot opportunities, and one blood trail. This is a long video, but if you have the time I feel like it is worth the watch. TONS of lessons learned on this hunt, hope anyone that watches will be able to learn from my mistakes. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
11/14/19 @ 7:50 AM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Thanks mudbucket!

11/14/19 @ 12:47 AM
mudbucket
PRO MEMBER User since 12/21/04

Really nice video, my son and I both enjoyed it. Good luck to you and your family the rest of the season. Especially your father. The excitement he showed when you woke him up was awesome.. Again best of luck to you in the future..

11/13/19 @ 11:36 PM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

I thought about it, but he was at about 100 yards and if he turned around to look he could have most likely pegged me in the tree I was in. 

11/13/19 @ 11:28 PM
Tout
PRO MEMBER User since 1/2/02

no, i thought when he was walking towards the woodline when you snort wheezed at him. 

11/13/19 @ 10:32 PM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Do you mean rattling to stop the deer? I utilize rattling at certain points. I rattled 5 minutes before I originally saw the deer the first time. 

11/13/19 @ 11:09 AM
Tout
PRO MEMBER User since 1/2/02

WOW !!!!  that was awesome.

i have 1 question. did you think about rattling at all ?

i know it all happens so fast that sometimes there is no time.

still a riveting show. 

thanks for that.

11/13/19 @ 7:49 AM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Thanks guys, and Long Barrels. 2 years ago I took a 54 yard shot out of this same stand. (I referenced that shot in this video) The deer was standing still, it wasn't windy, and it surely wasn't tall grass, so I'm not sure where that came from eyesman. And the deer did make it on to the neighbors property, but we were able to retrieve it. It was a killing shot, and I was able to recover the deer. However I did learn my lesson. It is something I won't be doing again. With archery tackle, a lot can go wrong at that distance. Especially if the deer is alert. That is why I decided to pass this deer the first time I saw it at 50 yards. 

11/12/19 @ 1:27 PM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Excellent video. Raw emotion. I felt like i was there for the whole thing. If you have never questioned your decision on a shot or botched a "gimme", to which there are none in bow hunting in my opinion. You either have not had enough opportunities in the woods, your time will come, everyone's does, or are kidding yourself. It's the extreme downside to this sport we enjoy oh so much.. great job, A+ for showing the good with the bad. Looking forward to seeing the next video, the good. Best of luck, helluva deer. 

11/12/19 @ 10:17 AM
browning3
browning3
User since 5/23/02
Well the good news is this deer really wants to get killed.  He's on his feet all over your property during daylight.  He's gonna get killed acting like that.  Hopefully you get more time to stay on him before the neighbors get a crack at him.

11/12/19 @ 9:26 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I rarely watch any YouTube videos, but took a shot this one. I think it was very well done. 

Excitement gets the best of all of us sometimes. If it doesn’t, you should probably hang it up. Clearly you didn’t seriously injure that buck, which is the second best scenario.

As someone else mentioned, you have a beautiful cabin and what appears to be a very above-average piece of land with some excellent bucks. Add to that a wife who encourages you to hunt and I’d say life is pretty darn good. Hang in there. This will happen again. It’s just how it goes. We’ve all been there and keep moving forward.

Cheers to an excellent gun season, friend. 

11/11/19 @ 3:21 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Long barrels, I do remember a video from about a year ago where the shooter took a 50 plus yard shot on a deer walking in waist high grass. It was quite windy also. If memory serves me right the blood trail was weak and went onto a neighboring property where the shooter couldn’t get permission to track. There was a lot of negative feedback about things done wrong. Don’t know if it is the same poster or not.                       As far as the first shot in the video that started this thread it seems the shot was hurried. The shooter here confirmed on slow motion video he hit low. Things that can contribute to a low hit are rushing the shot, underestimating the distance and when shooting from an elevated stand the arrow most often strikes below the aim point. It was very fortunate to see that deer again. The second shot was a buck fever panic shot at a moving deer, those never turn out well. Much for the shooter to learn from his mistakes and work to correct them may lead to success in the future. 

11/11/19 @ 10:26 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't you have a video last year that you took a long shot or something went wrong that took a lot of criticism? 

11/9/19 @ 9:15 PM
Tree stand whacker
Tree stand whacker
User since 1/4/13

Thank you so much CaseDog! I have a whole bunch of videos on my YouTube channel that take place at the cabin. It is my favorite place in the world. 

11/9/19 @ 1:14 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I truly enjoyed the video! I almost felt as if I was along with you for your rutcation! 

It looks like you have a true paradise to hunt with some nice plots and stand locations! 

I’m extremely jealous of your cabin as that looks truly beautiful and peaceful! 

Don’t be so hard on yourself-as you know so many things have to go right when you’re talking archery and it just didn’t happen!

I’m hoping you get a crack at old dagger during gun season because I’m looking forward to seeing the sequel!

Keep up the good work and again I truly enjoyed watching!

11/9/19 @ 12:07 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Fantastic videos.  You will need to be able to relax during the moment further.  There should be no pressure on yourself to get the kill.  

Consider smiling to yourself when in the moment, and think about how happy you are to just see the buck and have the chance.  As opposed to thinking this is the biggest buck I have ever had a chance at.  

I definitely enjoyed the editing and commentary though.  We were all there with you, and feeling the same pain.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE