LOGIN
Lake-Link

2021/22 bow hunting reports

9/18/21 @ 5:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mcsb
mcsb
USER SINCE 6/6/10

Had a little year and a half come in at 7am ish... Downwind and crossed walk in path and kept going... Cool to experience ground hunting in a marsh/crp area... Later went to check a cam close in area and got within 40 of a small doe with the sun at my back... Good check I'll be trying to hunt that area after working this weekend 2 nice bucks around there just no daylight pics will have to gameplan to move in close to suspected bedding provided they aren't in the corn there... All public land se wi..  tight(bow)strings and good luck everyone this season. I'm pumped!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 54 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

TODAY @ 2:04 PM
FullDraw05
USER SINCE 10/10/17

That's awesome, Greenhead!! Congratulations! The emotions are understood, we all go through it unfortunately in this sport. Last year I had our target buck at 32 yards standing broadside. Another deer coming from my direction he was keyed on and ready to engage with.. settled the pin right in the pumphouse let it fly and as i did he began to move again - hit back in the intestines I immediately knew it was a fatal, but terrible shot. Waited 26 hours and took up the track with a local tracker to find him dead without a single bed, 900 yards from the shot. Super crappy but bittersweet feeling.. keep your head up, heck of a buck!

TODAY @ 1:15 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER SINCE 7/17/09

Nice read greenhead. Great looking buck. Off into the duck marsh you go!

TODAY @ 1:09 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER SINCE 6/12/10

Nice buck Greenheads!!!  I hunt out by Westfield as well.  Very nice area and good deer numbers.

TODAY @ 12:12 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
USER SINCE 2/9/03

Monday morning was the start of my rut/duck-cation.  I was really back and forth on what to hunt that afternoon.  Duck hunt or deer hunt?  Ultimately, the weather was right and the action on my cell cams had me convinced I needed to be in a tree stand, so I packed up and drove the 1.5 hours up to my lease in Westfield.  I made the trek back to my stand on the opposite end of the property and had an arrow nocked and ready by 12:46.  After that it didn't take all that long for things to happen.  I heard a soft sounding grunt to my north at 2:20pm, I looked ahead and could see a set of legs coming my way and a short time later he was standing in front of me 70 yards away, freshening a very active scrape.  I could see this was a wide buck with a lot of character that I had my eyes on all season.  I had a doe decoy set up 23 yards to my right, he saw it and keyed in on it.  It felt like it took forever for him to make his way to it.  He would take 2 or three steps and stare at the decoy, then another 2 or three steps and stare at the decoy.  Finally he made it into the gap I needed him to step through, he was at 33 yards broadside, but the decoy was beginning to sketch him out.  I drew back, and hit him in the boiler maker, but... He turned hard and jumped the string causing him to quarter towards me after I released the arrow.  I could see the arrow didn't exit.  I immediately called a deer recovery service that I used last year.  He felt confident I had a dead deer based on the deer's reaction, but I wasn't so confident.  He suggested I back out and come back 3 hours later and check for blood.  I came back at 5pm and made the half hour walk back, only to find no signs of blood, fur or the arrow.  So the tracker and I decided to take up the track at the 20 hour mark the next morning.  We got back to the impact site and Frieda was on the scent line immediately.  A short time later, Joe called me to the north of the property to show me what the dog was finding, it wasn't looking good.  We had over 5 beds with very little blood causing some concerns that we may be bumping this deer.  Joe suggested we go just a little further to see what we turn up.  Well a little further wasn't all that far, Frieda found my buck!  The shot was as I expected, the arrow angled hard quartering out the guts, man did I feel terrible about that but I was incredibly excited to have this deer I had my eyes on all summer and fall.  The arrow hit one lung, the bottom quarter of his other lung, liver and stomach.  He's my best to date, 17" wide with 10 legal points and 3 odd ball "points".  Unfortunately things do always go the way we expect them to and that was definitely the case with this deer.  I'm very thankful for some very accommodating neighbors and the Wisconsin Deer Tracking Network. I can't wait to see him back on my wall in the next several months.  Good luck to everyone out there, the bucks are definitely on.  I saw over a half dozen different bucks cruising in the short time we tracked Monday night and my cameras have been sending pics non stop.  

10/27/21 @ 7:05 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
USER SINCE 7/29/21

Nice setup Dude,hope u get a monster

10/27/21 @ 6:47 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER SINCE 1/10/03

Toy came tonight.  Got 4 bolts through it before dark, all 3 hit two inches to the right at 20 yards.  Pretty surprise since it shipped with the scope off.

10/27/21 @ 1:21 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER SINCE 6/12/10

Nice job PSE!!!

I'm with you Dude.  I screwed up my rotator cuff working out and ended up picking up a crossbow to use for a little while.  I could shoot my bow, but letting down if needed was extremely painful, and don't even get me started on the following day, I was in pain.  My shoulder is feeling better now though, so I'm going to attempt to use my bow again.  Haven't shot it in about 6 months though, so I'm going to need to practice.

10/27/21 @ 1:01 PM
PSE
PSE
MEMBER SINCE 11/25/05

9 a.m yesterday. 8 pt. Had a much bigger 8 come in at 715 but I pulled back as he walked in rather than when he was in the brush cuz the does left in a hurry so I knew what was coming. He was broadside as I pulled back but walked straight at me and stood at twenty. I could have popped him but was hoping he would turn. As he did I was watching the does to my right and him. When I lowered to my peep a doe blew and he jumped and walked away. This one came in at 9  not the one i was after.Pulled back sooner but he walked away from me. When he quartered i said do I want to be done this early in the rut? thought of other things I had to do and said "hell yeah", so I shot. went 30 and fell. My son or others can shoot the bigger ones. If not, there will be some dandies next year.

10/27/21 @ 9:48 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER SINCE 1/12/14

That's funny hockey, off topic but my cousin got all wild one night bought 4 new mudding tires was going to convert his truck to look like a monster truck. He completely forgot about it until the semi pulled in to the drive. He tried to hide them from his wife but the new tire smell filled the house. Sold them shortly after, for a loss.   

10/27/21 @ 9:06 AM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

Dude, do you remember what kind or is that going to be a surprise lol?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 54 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.