FILTER OPTIONS
10/22/19 @ 7:30 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Very jealous, good luck Budman! Keep us posted 

10/21/19 @ 9:05 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

After tomorrow I'm off work until the 3rd of November.  I will be out every night and about half the mornings in that time span.  A few scrapes have showed up on the land I hunt over the last few days hoping to have an action packed 2 week vacation.  Getting an opportunity at a nice buck will be a welcome bonus but I truly love seeing what these deer will do in the weeks to come.  Good luck everyone that gets out I will post my sightings daily to keep everyone up to date.  I'm in rock county

10/21/19 @ 3:53 PM
take'em!
User since 9/8/11

congrats scoutking! and the dude, i never thought of doing that, not a bad idea. I too had some adrenaline pumping with two shooter bucks within 20 yards at the same time!

10/21/19 @ 3:34 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Congrats ScoutKing!

10/21/19 @ 3:10 PM
Patrick Thomas
User since 11/14/17

In reply to the gentlemen who shot his buck & watched as the deer headed towards water.  The same thing happened to a friend & myself, hunting along a marsh adjoining the Kiel Marsh State Wildlife Area. In our case the buck was hit & he headed into cattails towards a pond on my property. We went back to my place & waited around 30-45 minutes before tracking.  We found blood on both sides of the cattail trail, knowing it was a good hit. Because the cattails were so tall and dense we could not see more than two feet in front of us. It was October 31. As we neared one of my ponds we heard an explosive amount of crashing & we attempted to run towards the pond. The pond had over an inch of ice on it. Here is this big buck thrashing thru the ice, a site I will never forget. He gets to the other side & we had to go completely around, approx a mile to approach the other side of the pond to resume tracking.  It is unreal the survival instinct whitetails have. How they know that cold water will slow bleeding is something I will never understand. So we get to the trail the buck made & all we could see was mud on both sides of the cattails that the deer was covered in from crashing/swimming across the pond.  We thought he would be easy to find. We criss crossed and marked every bit of sign but after 20-30 yards the sign dissappeared.  It is one of the worst feelings I ever experienced, and the one & only deer I hit but did not find.  We looked for hours. I went back the next day, still without sucess. So to the hunter who found his buck down river, I know the relief you must have felt.  Two years later during gun season I hit a big doe & she ran into the same cattails. I followed blood & had to crawl as she borrowed thru the cattails.  She made a cave like spot that many would never have found.  I could only see one of her hind legs. I had to pull her out.  Remember the buck that we lost, and how this doe borrowed into cover, to die, made me think that the buck must have done the same thing.  It makes it dead clear that if you dont have a lethal shot do not take it. In the case of the buck, it seemed like a double lung shot but the ice cold water slowed the blood flow allowing him the massive energy to break thru 40-50 yards of ice & water.  Looking back I am sure he burrowed into the muck of the marsh & died.  When I hear of a hunter hitting a deer that heads to water and travels back & forth to find it, in this case a mile down river it makes me grateful for the ethical hunters out there. Congrats on your deer but more importantly your effort to locate him.  

10/21/19 @ 1:29 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Congratulations to everyone on your success so far. I have yet to see the woods this season, but am hoping to get some time in....Starting to get the itch, just gotta find time to scratch it.

10/21/19 @ 11:37 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Congrats, ScoutKing! Awesome coloring on that buck. Well done 

edit: I didn't scroll too far down, congrats ALL on the successes!

10/21/19 @ 11:32 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
User since 10/25/07

Congratulations to all those who have found success!! Love seeing the pictures and reading the stories.  I found a decent 8 to "wrap my tag around" two weeks ago while scouting my way into a public property I hadn't been before.  Setup on a fresh rub leading out of some nasty wet bedding cover and an hour before dark had this guy sneaking through the thick brush past me.  Didn't have much time at all to look at him before he entered my only opening so I drew and shot seeing he had some decent antler.  Hit him in the shoulder and he dropped, follow up shot ensued along with a very tough drag/ float back out to the truck.  Happy camper :) and now preparing for an Illinois public land hunt next week.  Good luck everyone still after it! Just starting to get good.

10/21/19 @ 9:59 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Congrats Bean!  Cool story and great buck!

Take 'em - I'm very good at mouth yelping like a turkey without a call.  I always wondered on the few occasions when I've had deer look up at me if I should yelp.  I always forget because I'm usually in the middle of an adrenaline rush...

10/21/19 @ 9:12 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

that's awesome, Take 'em.. sweet encounter!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 64 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.