MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Violence in the outdoors

5/2/13 @ 9:23 AM
INITIAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
I just read over on the fishing reports page about a fight that broke out on Castle Rock Lake over a shore fisherman throwing rocks at fishermen in boats. I guess the guy on shore challenged the guy in the boat to bring his fat butt up on shore and he did and the guy on shore got a beating and the guy from the boat got a $200 fine. Now from what I take, this was done in front of his boy and he thought what his dad did was fine because the guy was throwing rocks at their $30,000 bass boat. I find this very disturbing and is one of the reasons I fish away from other people. I would have been more upset about some crazy throwing rocks at my son than my boat. I just do not know what the world is coming too. If you see a crowd, why even put yourself in that situation? What example are you setting for your child if you pummel someone and end up getting a disorderly charge? I think it could have been handled better(pull up anchor or never have approached the shore, its a big lake) and this sets a bad example and makes all sportsmen look foolish. Thoughts?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts
6/19/16 @ 9:56 PM
micvoiss
User since 6/10/02

muskyschlott
I'd be quite unhappy if I had a house on a lake, and didn't even put my boat in because of all the d-bags out there.  That's pretty sad, but I see it once in a while too.  It's as if they feel that only they should be the ones able to fish that body of water.  

6/18/16 @ 2:42 AM
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12

Reading all these experiences really angers me. But I'm overall impressed with how people handled them and kept their cool.

I really wish these people could conduct themselves with more respect for others.

If someone else is fishing, keep your distance. 

If you're walking into your hunting spot and see a bow hunter in a tree stand, back out and go hunt another spot.

If you see an old man and his grandkids struggling to use hand auger. For gods sake go help him drill some holes! I speak from experience on this one. My buddy and I saw an elderly man stuggling to drill through the ice so his grandchildren could ice fish. I kid you not there were people pointing and laughing like it was funny. Things like that angers me so much. We were on the only ones on that bay that went to help him drill his holes. All we had was a hand auger ourselves and we spent 20 minutes getting them set up. There were guys with power augers who could've done it in less than 5 minutes.

6/18/16 @ 12:17 AM
lunkbox
lunkbox
User since 7/24/01

Place: Black Wolf launch (Oshkosh Winnebago)

If you ever launched here you know there aren't many spots to park. While walking from my truck to the boat I noticed one gentleman standing in the last empty stall having a conversation with another guy in a truck and empty trailer.  The guy in the truck, peels off and parks illegally on the grass. I walk by the guy standing in the empty stall, who was saving the last stall for his buddy unloading their boat, he shows me a knife and says "I thought I was going to have to use this". 

6/11/14 @ 12:21 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Chief, you did the right thing and yes it could have gone bad really quick.There is just too much space out there to deal with stuff like this. Good thing they did not do anything to your vehicle. Another thing these cowards like to do.
6/11/14 @ 11:02 AM
Willsboro
User since 5/6/14
I see these children with their boredom and their vacant stares/God help us all if we're to blame for their unanswered prayers -Billy Joel, "No Man's Land"
6/11/14 @ 10:44 AM
thechief
User since 5/2/05
I experienced what could of been violence last deer season, were my son and I parked on an old logging road and wanted to walk in on the road rather than drive(second morning) we starting the walk up the road or what was left of this 50 year old road, when I heard a truck coming from behind and the roaring of the motor I looked back and came to the conclusion that we had better move to the side as the mud was a flying and the truck was some what side ways. the two young guys stopped by us and started shouting and confrontational, why did you block the road, ummmm?? because we are hunting in here(the road is not travelable). the two hunters floored the truck down through the brush, dropping one of the hunters off and turned around and the same ordeal on the way back through. looked to me they wanted to hunt there and it pissed them off that my son and I got up just a little earlier then they did both mornings. but it worked because we turned and left for another spot. that type of practice never happened in the past where I hunt, more of a gentlemen way, a hunter is already there move on, I have hunted this area for a long time(35 seasons) and its getting worse every year. SAD!
6/9/14 @ 11:01 AM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
Well said casting,I fear to think what my grandchildren will be up against.God help and bless America!
6/9/14 @ 7:30 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
I have yet to be out yet this year. I tend to fish during the week or in places where pleasure boaters can get in their fancy boats. I know with the 4th of july weekend coming up, we will see a rise in stupidity. I think alot of it comes from the guy who owns a boat and only takes it out 3 times a year and feels it is his right to do what every he wants because he only gets out 3 times a year. I have yet had any trouble from anyone in an ol Lund powered by an old merc, johnson or evinrude. Think on that one for a while. Seems the more the boat costs the bigger the douche bag. Just sayin......
6/8/14 @ 3:16 PM
muskyschlott
User since 10/2/09
no doubt, camelot is a hot spot for d bags. have a house on the lake and dont care if my boat ever sees the water there again.
6/8/14 @ 9:33 AM
WaveWacker
User since 6/9/11
Lectrotec, yeah I hear ya those 3 lakes in Rome are crazy with disrespectful skiers and jet skis . I had a close call on Sherwood , NEVER go there on a week end during the summer :-P :-P
6/8/14 @ 3:03 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
My youngest brother, god rest his soul, was hard to describe, I suppose a "challenger" would fit in a word. He was just out of the Army (MP) we were fishing Lake Camelot. This was the second or third time a boat pulling the same skier came within range while we were fishing in a bay. He let loose with a spinner bait across the ski rope and set the hook with his Musky rod. The spinner wrapped the rope set the hook deep broke his line, skier went down. They picked him up, flipped us off, yelled obscenities etc. There is a 100' rule in WI, I don't know of anybody that can cast a spinner bait that far.
4/23/14 @ 1:07 AM
Frosty142
User since 4/4/14
Its a sad reality of today's society that there is such a loss of respect for our fellow man and the outdoors. I have seen first hand many different situations out on the water or at the landing where things could have gone south quickly. My last trip out on the Wolf River (and I do mean my last trip) was not a pleasant one. trolling along the side of the shoreline fishing for bass, I had about 30 feet of open water between the boat and the shore. A pleasure boat at full plane ripped right between us, and as the boat passed, its occupants proceeded to flip us off. No worries, I followed them, got their boat number and called it in. Saw them at the dock a couple of hours later getting a lecture from local law enforcement. I was not the first to call them in that day. I no longer have the drive or the energy to deal with those kind of "boaters". I will gladly take my boat and my money elsewhere.
4/17/14 @ 6:57 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Thanks for sharing your story. I sometimes think it is the times we live in. It is very sad when things like this happen because you never know how it will pan out. I am glad you took the high road but the other guy was totally wrong and had no right to do what he did.
4/16/14 @ 2:29 PM
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt
User since 4/16/14
It is hard to hear stories like this. I do not mind sharing and talking to others while fishing. I even give lures, tips and try to learn from others. I am from MN and fish in WI every time I can when I visit my brother and my dad. My father is old and just finally started to fish again. Last year, we headed to Oshkosh to fish for walleyes, perch and whitebass. As we got closer to the shore, there was a man in his 40's with a child that is probably 5-7 years old. My brother, father and I dropped our items and started to rig up our lines. We were probably 50ft away from him. The man yells across saying, "The river is flowing fast and I do not want to get snagged." I looked at him and responded, "I wish the same." He then yells back, "Look! the water flow is fast and I do not want any snags." I looked at him weary and responded, "same here." We continue rigging our tackle and then the man yells with more anger and says, "Look, you guys need to move because with this fast flowing water, I do not want to snag my line with yours!" My brother responds, "This is a public fishing place, sir." The man got mad and started to charge at us. I stood out my hand and said, "Look, we will move." Debriefing with my father, my dad is a Vietnam vet and said he would have done something horrible to that man if that man if he laid a finger on my brother and I. My brother was quite heated and was about to call the cops when we packed up and walked to the truck. I calmed them both down and we drove to another area to fish instead. We ended up not catching anything and drove home kind of bummed. When we drove off, we noticed he must have said the same to all others because there was literally a 100ft gap between him and the other fishermen around him. What bothered me the most of all of this was his actions and what he was teaching his son. I too have a son and he is 2 yrs old. I'd hate to teach him a lesson as such. Plus, I am a k-12 licensed school counselor and work with kids daily. I feel for the kid. Actions like these are easily seen in kids at school and teachers do keep track of them. For those that do fish peacefully and offer small talk, I appreciate you.
4/14/14 @ 12:04 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I agree. I don't fish certain bodies of water during spring runs anymore. Too many jerks who won't cooperate with those around them in enjoying the resource. I prefer waters with less traffic. I get that up north.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE