Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Dove Hunting in SouthEastern WI on public land

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
Level: MEMBER
3/29/09 9:23 PM CST
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone here knows of any DNR leased or owned public hunting land where there are sunflowers planted for dove hunting. My wife and I recently moved to Hartford WI from Janesville. In the past, I have always hunted doves in Evansville because of the sunflower plots on DNR leased land. I am still willing to travel to Evansville, but was wondering if there was good dove hunting a little closer to Hartford. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know some guys don't like giving up their honey holes, even on public land. I am an ethical hunter who always picks up after himself. I don't dove hunt much. Usually the first weeked or two until archery season starts. Thanks for your time.

Jess

dleeegs
dleeegs
9/15/09 4:56 PM CST
I hunt doves in SW wisconsin .You don't need sun flowers to hunt doves. We hunt seed corn fields once they are picked . Every third row in a seed corn field is a male row and they are just run over and never picked . So you end up with alot of feed for the doves. We also hunt pastures . We do mostly pass shooting there. Set up a couple of roto doves and decoys and it is usually enough to get the birds to come into range. If you can find a chopped wheat or oat field that can be a gold mine. The birds swarm those fields. The most important thing is to scout around looking for birds. Areas that are close to towns are usually better than areas way out in the country . The one thing that is really important is that if you don't have a dog . Never shoot more than one bird at a time . Shoot one go pick it up before you shot another. Saves alot of lost birds . We hunted on the 6th of Sept. And between 4 guys we shot 60 birds and lost only a couple that flew a long distance before falling . Mark and retrieve . Its a great sport and if you do some scouting you will be amazed how many doves are around. Good Luck

lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
3/30/09 9:42 PM CST
I am not trying to get into anyone's honey holes. All I want to know is if any DNR managed lands closer to Hartford has sunflowers planted or is known to have a high dove population. I can get the info if I call the local Warden, just thought it would be quicker to ask on here with less headache for a warden to have to call me back.

A response like "the DNR land in Evansville has a great dove population" (which it does by the way) would be a sufficient answer.

On a side note, I never understood why guys are so secretive about where they had success. My BIL is like that after we get off lake Winnebago. He always says, don't say a word. Jeez, even if I point in the general direction of where we were catching fish, like conditions always remain the same and what are the chances they find the exact same spot? To me, being secretive is the same as selfish. Ask away, I will tell you anything I can.

Jess

MuskyHunter
See Profile
Level: General User
3/30/09 8:29 PM CST
Shoot me a PM with questions.

Birdyboy
Birdyboy
3/30/09 9:31 AM CST
Is there a spring dove season in WI? I just started on dove last fall and really enjoyed it. I also have a great marsala recipe if anyone is interested. Smile

mike51098
See Profile
3/30/09 5:31 AM CST
Check the DNR web site. I think for Jackson Marsh which is just a little east of harford on 60 and Paradise public hunting in columbia county, both descriptions mention dove hunting.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook