SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Best lures for brook trout?

6/12/13 @ 1:15 PM
INITIAL POST
PJL2112
User since 4/8/10
I am inexperienced with trout fishing. Will be fishing some streams in the U.P. for brookies next week using ultralight spinning tackle. What are some of the "go to" lures for fishing small rivers for brookies?
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
9/15/15 @ 4:56 PM
by the finn
User since 9/4/01
floating jig, tipped with crickets or grasshoppers, split shot about 10-12" above....start melting the butter in the cast iron!!!!
9/4/14 @ 6:31 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01
You need two rapalas. One that floats and you drift it into the brush piles. The other is a sinker that you fish in the current. About one inch long. Trout or perch color have worked best for me. Tight lines ! Trouter
8/27/14 @ 10:10 PM
finessemaster101
User since 6/16/12
White or black rooster tails. Fuzz E Grubs and dark red marabous produce well under a small float. 1/64 oz is optimal.
4/30/14 @ 7:01 PM
ESOX68
ESOX68
User since 2/21/06
I like silver or gold panther martins, smallest repala in fire tiger or gold. My best is a 1/8 copper Kast master.
4/28/14 @ 6:29 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
Red gulp or red plastics on a tungsten jig . Deadly
4/24/14 @ 6:10 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
If the stream has mostly brookie under 10 inches, a 1/32 oz Roostertail with a propeller works best for me. If Im on a larger stream hoping for brookie over 10 inches, I use a 1/16 oz. Panther Martin
3/22/14 @ 3:06 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09
Small panther martins with no dressing were my favorite, pinch the barbs down because they take it deep really easy and you can get off snags easier
3/18/14 @ 9:34 PM
chivemaster
User since 3/3/11
The one time I fished specifically for Brook trout I caught them on 2 different lures. Rapala (I believe it was size 5). Mepps size 2 plain aglia. I agree, they can be very aggressive. I had them darting out to swipe at my lure a couple of feet in front of me while wading. I caught a load small trout that day.
6/20/13 @ 4:46 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02
I like Rooster Tails the best. They even have propeller blade spinners for those small creeks that don't require a long pitch. Those blades will turn on the slowest of retrieves. I mix up both gold and silver blades, but seem to have better luck on gold. The Brown and Rainbow trout imitation spinners are excellent on Brookies, but bear in mind, Brookies are the dumbest of the 3 trout. They'll snap at your spinner when you're just a couple feet away as long as you're stealthy enough.
6/13/13 @ 9:01 AM
Horble
User since 4/11/08
My "kit" always includes: Mepps O, silver and gold, a couple Rooster Tails (always a flo orange and black), some small Panther Martins and a couple small Rapalas. Pinch the barbs on those Rapalas...
6/13/13 @ 7:36 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
All the same lures for trout fishing anywhere. Possibly downsize, but not much. In my experience brookies are very aggressive.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE