SEARCH
MORE
Pike Fishing

Spoons vs Spinners

6/20/18 @ 11:29 PM
INITIAL POST
RippinLips3
User since 6/19/18

this one topic that i have seen debated forever. what's your opinion? why? in my opinion i LOVE inline spinners nothing can beat em more specifically the Mepps #5 with no hair. i have used both spoons and spinners and i think pike just cant stay away from the things, the reason i think the Mepps 5 performs so well is because of the BIG wobbly blade that these fish just can't resist. though the Mepps 5 is good i would love to see Mepps come out with a size 6 blade with the same size body yo really make the wobble more pronounced. this is just a personal opinion of course, i have one friend who swears by spoons and he thinks they can't be out fished. is there specific circumstances that spoons work better than spinners? what is you r experience?

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
6/21/18 @ 10:34 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

6 of 1, half dozen of the other. I have had really good success on little cleos, silver minnows, and dardevles. In the past few years I have primarily used hairpin spinners and done well also. 

I think the spoons have caught bigger fish for me but I think the spinners have caught more fish. But that's just a guess at past experiences.

6/21/18 @ 9:14 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I switch out all treble hooks on my spoons with siwash-style salmon hooks.  It's way easier to release them.  I've also done it with Mepps spinners but you have to cut the hooks off of those and add a split ring.

6/21/18 @ 8:47 AM
ocetp
ocetp
User since 7/7/01
On our regular Canadian fly-in lake, the pike strongly prefer Johnson Silver minnows.  But then again, it may be me - trble hooks and pike are a real mess.
6/21/18 @ 8:30 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I don't think it matters.  Pike will eat anything.  It comes down to what you like to fish with.  

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE