SEARCH
MORE
Pike Fishing

Pike Ice Fishing Tips

11/25/18 @ 11:28 AM
INITIAL POST
Merrimic91
User since 6/25/07

What is the best tip up set up to use for ice fishing pike? (i.e line, hooks, bait, etc)

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
2/26/20 @ 7:32 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Snakester, 

Just freezing them doesn’t comply with WDNR dead bait regulations. Those came into effect a few years ago as part of the effort to slow down the spread of VHS.

More info here:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/vhs/vhs_usingdeadfishasbait.pdf

2/24/20 @ 10:05 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

What is everyone doing for dead bait preservation? I have a batch of 9-10" minnows in rubbing alcohol but no fish on them yet. Dont have a lot of confidence in them personally, feel like the alcohol scent would be off putting to fish.

2/10/20 @ 10:40 AM
pintails3
User since 4/11/19

Is there a brand of hot dogs people like best?  Going to try this!

5/16/19 @ 12:48 PM
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
WALLEYE SWIMBAIT
User since 9/26/16

HOTDOGS?? WAAAAAAAA??

Learn something new everyday

Ulbian- great post, good info.....

2/4/19 @ 2:22 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I totally agree with Reba’s Daddy when it comes to using hot dogs late season. The cheapest, oilyest, dogs that would kill ya if you ate em all the time, work best. I snip the ends off to release more scent. Great for big pike. The only reason I don’t use them more is that you will never get a bass or walleye on them. 

1/31/19 @ 10:40 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Don’t throw out those dead large shiners in late winter. I rip open the belly, pull the guts out to hang and hook in the back so the shiner hangs naturally horizontal one foot off the bottom. Do just as good or better in February as I do with live shiners

1/14/19 @ 7:17 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I’ve never used anything but shiners.  Most of the places I fish I’m targeting pike and bass (I fish with my boy so it’s a numbers game).  

I use 30# flouro leaders with a single treble hook.

That said, I’m interested in trying dead bait.  What exactly do you guys use and where so you get it?

12/7/18 @ 3:56 PM
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12

I use dead bait on the bottom or quick strike rig for bigger baits. I normally out fish guys using live bait 3 to 1. The fresher/oily the better! I normally squish the bait a bit to get more scent in the water. Like others said about every 15 mins if I havent got bite I’ll jig the tip up a bit and normally you’ll get a bite shortly after that. Also use 40lb floro leader. If it’s really slow I chum the hole with tiny chunks of cute bait. 

12/7/18 @ 11:14 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have some smelt and hot dogs packed for tomorrow.  I will be fishing a lake that has produced some really nice pike for me in the past but has been pretty dead the last couple of years.  Not sure if the population is at the low end of a cycle or if they just didn't want what I was offering.  No live minnow for me tomorrow.  Hot dogs and dead bait!  I'll post back if I have success.

If this works, it'll be great.  I can get smelt cheap where I live and the $0.99 pack of hot dogs is a lot more reasonable than the $7 a dozen shiners I usually buy up north.

11/29/18 @ 7:33 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

re: jigging for pike

One thing you learn when muskie fishing is that even small pike will attack baits that are very large. When I jig for pike in the winter I’m using big stuff. Bondy baits, fuzzy duzzits, large rattle baits, large tubes, etc. With this stuff you won’t be using a medium rod...it’s gotta be a heavy rod with heavy line. 80lb power pro and 100# mono leaders. Basically a muskie set up on a jig pole. 

On a handful of different lakes my approach is a complete 180 from the norm. Tipups are set out for panfish and I’m jigging for pike. If you’ve never targeted panfish exclusively with tipups you are missing out on a ton of fun....likewise, if you haven’t targeted pike with a jig pole you are missing out on a ton of fun.

I’ll drop a camera down and the way pike will swarm a rattle bait is a hoot. I’ll assess the size structure and stick with a rattle bait until I see bigger fish in the area. Then I’m switching over to a bondy or a fuzzy duzzit and my presentation is a but more subtle. With a rattle bait I’ll work it hard...with the others it’s a bit more finesse. One real neat aspect of this approach is that a rattle bait or something bigger will hold the attention of the pike and my panfish tipups set a decent distance away won’t be bothered and the smaller fish can focus on those without getting chased off. 

When I do target pike with tipups I exclusively use dead bait and I’ll actively work those lines. It’s not a Ronco “set it and forget it” rotisserie. Every 10-15 minutes I’m lifting the dead bait up a few inches and setting it back down. Most will just leave it soak all day but pike will stare down food for an ungodly amount of time. By moving them you can often trigger a reaction that you wouldn’t have had if they’d just sit. So many strikes happen within a minute or two of that dead bait lift that it’s counterproductive not to do it. Plus, by keeping tabs on dead bait you can quickly tell if any pike are in the area. Panfish turn into gluttons on deadbait by eating the bellies out of them but they won’t do this if pike are anywhere in the vicinity. If you notice the guts chewed out of your deadbait you can forget about pike for the day and you might as well switch gears and target panfish. 

11/28/18 @ 11:34 AM
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18

Thank you

11/27/18 @ 12:55 PM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

I used #7 or#9

11/27/18 @ 12:36 PM
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18

Is there a pattern to what size they will hit?  Or should I get a few sizes and hope for the best

11/27/18 @ 11:51 AM
Jigger Pleaz
Jigger Pleaz
User since 3/30/18

I've used jigging rapalas for them. It's a blast when they hit.

11/27/18 @ 9:46 AM
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18

Does anyone jig for pike or is it almost exclusively tip-ups and other passive lines?  I just have some basic jigging setups for my first year on the ice.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE