MORE
Pike Fishing

First Pike in years

11/4/21 @ 1:49 PM
INITIAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Went out last weekend and was trolling a chatter bait looking for crappie. The first one hit and took awhile to get in. He was over 36 inches ( the tape on my boat only goes to 36 and he was way over that). I took a photo and let him go and trolled a bit longer when the second one hit. Very good fight. He too was over 36 inches. I have been fishing for almost 50 years and these are the biggest fish I have ever caught. I am a big bobber fisherman so I usually just catch panfish and bass. I am kind of hooked on these toothy critters.

First Pike in years photo by ol sarge
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
12/3/21 @ 10:27 AM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

I bring the fly rod to Canada too. Same flies that catch smallies will catch pike and musky. Big flies work but not necessary. I've caught musky up there on 4" bubble gum pink wacky worms while fishing for bass.

12/3/21 @ 9:09 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

fun on a fly rod!     I fished smallies in Canada with one, a blast! CARPIO 

12/2/21 @ 9:13 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

I catch them on minnow patterns 3" long. The last three I cleaned had a rock bass 6" to 8" long.

Caught five today. Big one was 34". 

Something to do while waiting for safe ice. Maybe another week or two around here.

First Pike in years photo by Fishrun
12/2/21 @ 10:12 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I find they are pests.   They destroy my rigs while crappie fishing and chase the panfish from the area.     Why in the world would a well fed and healthy pike we’ll over 30” bite a 1” fat head ?     This is a common occurrence with me in the fall and happens about once every 4-5 outings.   I believe they just like to kill and agree about the eating quality.   Again, they’re like squirrels,pests.      CARPIO 

11/10/21 @ 5:05 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

I flyfish in my local river for pike in November and December. Never use a net, just swing them along side and grab them behind the head. Use a Dr Slick long nose clamps to remove flies but very often the fly is caught in the side of the mouth when they take.

Here's the stomach contents of one caught a couple days ago.

11/7/21 @ 8:02 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

I have been an avid musky and pike fisherman for years.  I would rather catch a pike than a bass.  I think bass are boring, they can't hurt you with their teeth, and they don't fight as well as a pike.  Have you ever been bitten by one?  I have up in Canada when I was 13, reached for the net without looking to help my dad unhook one and it grabbed my hand!  Hurt like hell!  Stick you whole hand in a bass and you get sandpaper burn.  I don't like watching fishing shows where they are fishing for bass and they catch a pike, then make the comment, "oh, it's just a pike".  I just don't understand the obsession with Bass today.

11/6/21 @ 11:43 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

When I was a somewhat dedicated bass fisherman I would donate 3-4 Booyah Boogie Baits to pike every year. They were a slightly different version of the Chatterbait, and I wish I had a dozen of them right now. They were discontinued unfortunately. Yep. Pike loved them things.

11/5/21 @ 6:07 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

Chatterbait for crappies?  Interesting.  I've throw chatterbaits a ton and have only caught bass, pike and muskies.  Pike love the chatterbait.  

11/5/21 @ 9:22 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I bought some $8 Textured cut resistant gloves at Fleet Farm for handling northerns. They are fun to catch and great to eat but actually very dangerous to handle. When I hook a northern, I put a glove on my left hand to grab the fish and take the pliers in my right hand. With my gloves, the northern is trapped in my kung fu grip.

First Pike in years photo by Mr.Seaguar
11/4/21 @ 11:33 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

Always a good time 

First Pike in years photo by jwog666
First Pike in years photo by jwog666
11/4/21 @ 1:50 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

He got me with his gill plate.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE