Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Fillet Pike easy

3/3/21 @ 8:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
utahman
USER SINCE 3/9/03

To those of you who dont know. I thought I would bring this back up, for people who just dont understand how it works. For years I didnt really know until about ten years ago which is a long time since I am ....... Anyway I call it 2 UP. Thats all you have to remember. 2 LINES AND UP. Wrap the pike in newspaper for a half hour to soak up the slime, and leave it in the paper while you do it to save cleaning up all the slime. Fillet with the skin on, scrape with your knife from back to front on the meat side, this will show you the 2..... lines. The upper Y line and the center vertabrae line. Fillet UP on the top line as you would do upside down on a rib cage. Thats the backstrap and it isnt very big. The next step is very important to not waste a lot, some people cut straight down on the center line. Do not do this. Cut UP on as sharp an angle as you can. Thats the 2 lines and the UP. Hope this helps a few of you to enjoy pike as much as I do.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/27/21 @ 3:02 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER SINCE 1/7/02

I came across the five piece method several years ago and have been using it ever since. Before that I would seldom keep northern pike because of the y-bone. When I did I would fillet it off the backbone and ribs and then trim out the y-bone section, that was a slow process and seamed to waste too much meat. Once I learned the five piece method it became quick and easy to do with less waste. Any method used works better on a larger fish but I found the five piece works quite well on smaller pike too. 

3/27/21 @ 1:34 PM
utahman
USER SINCE 3/9/03

I dont get that method, every time I tried it I got the tips of the y bones. Probably went too deep  on the top, as I would go all way the to the back bone instead of feeling for the top of the y. I used to save all the y bone meat for pickling

3/25/21 @ 1:27 PM
Shellfish
USER SINCE 7/19/03

I do enjoy eating pike.  Almost more than walleye.  I used to do this same technique to fillet pike for years and it does work.

A number of years ago I came across the 5 fillet technique for pike and was amazed at how quick and easy it was and how quickly I learned the method.  I now show all my fishing buddies this simple technique.   Look it up on you tube and give it a shot.  I do find it is best with pike over 22 inches long and I don't like to kill pike over 30 inches.  I will start using the paper wrap to decrease the slim of the northern.  This should make the method even easier.

I am not saying the zip method is wrong or difficult.  It is an excellent method, but I found the 5 fillet method easier for me.  I wish I would have knew technique earlier.

3/25/21 @ 9:52 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER SINCE 6/14/05

hop over to youtube and search for...DERAILERMAN....easiest way I have found...do like the wrapping in newspaper suggestion, didn't think of that

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Precision trolling with a low profile at an affordable price. Loaded with features, the Convector Low Profile Line Counter will keep you in the strike zone! PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Convector Low Profile Line Counter Reel
Meet Grizzly Coolers. Made right here in the USA and loaded with features that can't be beat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: GRIZZLY COOLERS - Grizzly Hard-Sided Coolers
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.