MORE
Musky Fishing

HELPPP getting a musky rod/reel combo

2/20/14 @ 7:49 PM
INITIAL POST
doorman
beer-acuda
User since 1/6/12
I am looking at getting a musky rod and reel combo. I have been using my buddies toro winch the last few years just on a cheap heavy set rod. I am looking at getting a revo toro NACL, Any thoughts? Gear ratios and such (all i use is jerk baits and double 10's) Looking at spending 500
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
6/20/14 @ 6:04 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
I have that exact combo forsale 8'6 toothtammer and revo toro. PM if intrested.
6/20/14 @ 1:50 PM
WiscoMuskys
WiscoMuskys
User since 1/19/12
revo and 8'6" tooth tamer... that's all you need
5/31/14 @ 12:23 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
If you are still looking, our new ER1 series musky rods are super nice sticks that would help make you budget. The use Pac Bay Minima guides and solid carbide tip tops - for a guide set that has no ceramic at all - very light and durable. And they can be had in either full grip or split grip if you prefer. Let us know if we can help!
5/20/14 @ 11:25 AM
J-Man 2.0
J-Man 2.0
User since 4/16/14
I fish mainly revo torros of all gear ratios and love them all. The 5.4 is a good mid range, but I would use the 4.6 if I only hsd one. I do have a Lexa 400 PWR-P coming that should be a great help in pulling double 10s and is cheaper than the revo line. Rods are a matter of preference, but don't skimp...your extra money will result in lighter weight and you will be happy if you spend a lot of hours casting in a day. I love the legend tournament line, but you may blow your budget a little if you don't get them for a sale price with the revo or lexa. The mojo line would be a good option for you.
4/28/14 @ 5:19 PM
AChotrod
User since 9/8/13
Look at Tackle Industries, Muskie Innovations,& Tooth Tamer rods. All really nice and can be had around $100-200 depending on what model you choose. I love my NACL 60 5.4. With the power handle and a XH rod you can pull 10s all day and the reel will work great with anything else. I also have a NACL 50 6.4 and it def is faster but 10s are not nearly as easy to pull in. 8s are no prob with it.
3/4/14 @ 3:58 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
Ditto, I thought the same thing but after reading several years ago on another musky forum, I tried it and it does work to have a smaller diameter on the spool, ratio is just one part of it.It is just like a boat winch, when yo are winching in a boat when the rope slides of to a smaller diameter it is easier to crank.I am sure that reel manufactures do not want every one to know that though.
3/4/14 @ 11:07 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I have several Toro's of all gear ratios and the Winch hardly ever gets used anymore except for really hard to pull crankbaits. For DC10's I still prefer a 5.4 gear ratio. Not sure about he less line on the spool thing. Yes it will slow down the retrieve but the gear ratio is still the same.
3/4/14 @ 11:04 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
If you ar going to use a higher gear ratio for hard pulling baits.Take some of your line of the spool,all you really need is 75 to 100 hundred yards of line for musky fishing,that in affect gives you more power.It will shorten casting distance but not as mutch as you think.
3/3/14 @ 12:40 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I was looking at the NACL. Nice and smooth. Similar to the Revo Toro 5.4 that I like. If it fits your hand and rod nice, it should be a good reel. I like that 5.4 gear ratio best for throwing all baits. As stated below, though, if you are going to spend time cranking 10's and 13's, then you will want to invest in another setup with a lower gear ratio.
3/2/14 @ 8:49 PM
beer-acuda
User since 1/6/12
i am looking at the NACL61 with the 5:4 ration. whats does everyone think/
2/23/14 @ 12:10 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
I've heard good things about the new lexa 400, i heard that it might even give the tranx a run as a substitute for half the cost. I would ask how often and for how long are you going to throw D10's, how many times do you fish in a season?
2/21/14 @ 9:13 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
You can get by with a 5:4 reel throwing 10's but it's not easy on them. It's comparable to towing your boat by starting out in high gear. Not easy on the transmission. If you are intent on using 10's and are only looking at getting one rod/reel setup then opt for the lower gear ratio. With $500 as your budget you could get two combos that would cover most of your bases and be decent enough before you sink a few hundred bucks into one setup that May or may not provide the versatility you desire. ABU 7000's are a solid inexpensive lower gear reel and then there's the standard 6500 ABU which is the model T of Muskie reels. You keep them maintained and they'll last you a long time....plus both of those models are very easy to fix if you have a pawl or clutch arm that wears out. For rods don't overlook the gander mountain guide series line to get you started. One of the biggest follies I made was dumping a bunch of those rods in favor of higher priced name brand rods that accomplished the same task but were not as comfortable to me as the good old gander rods. I've since switched back and don't regret it one bit. Again, maintenance is the key here. Even with a $400 or $500 reel if you don't take care of them they will break down on you just as fast as a $100 6500 will. A lot of guys complain that their reels "blew up" on them but most of the time this occurs because they are not taken care of. Would you run multiple seasons without changing your lower unit oil or drive 20k miles with your car on the same oil? Probably not...that's just dumb and you are begging for problems.
2/21/14 @ 8:41 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I like the 5.4 gear ratios for throwing everything. But the higher the number, the tougher it will be to get double 10's back to the boat. I think the Tranx has a 4.6 gear ratio. Either the NACL or Tranx would be excellent reels. Top of the line. And you will pay for that. For less money, Shimano makes a 400D that I love. And I think they have a great 400B now too. You may want to check them out. Rod wise, as stated before, Okuma has a nice stick for around $100-$120. Lifetime warranty. Get the Extra Heavy. 8.5 footer. Musky Innovations has a great rod too. But go somewhere find your reel, then put it on a few rods and see which one feels best for you.
2/21/14 @ 3:24 AM
rapture
User since 2/15/06
Okuma and shimano make pretty decent rods that wont break the bank. I know that shimano compres use pretty decent components on their rods. I have 2 of em. Whatever you decide as far as manufacturer, Id go with a 8'6" rod that has a heavy action with a fast tip. Reel wise...the abu youre looking at is a good choice. The gear ratio is a little higher than the winch so its gonna be a little tougher to haul in those big tens but it will be easier to get more speed on your retrieves with em. The Shimano Tranx is said to be the be all end all of reels as far as cranking in big bucktails but the price is pretty high and theyre huge, size wise. I cant use em cause I fish lefty and they dont make one in a left handed model. Plus I dont have the funds to be spending that kind of money on just a reel. I hope this info helps in your quest for a nice musky rig. Good luck this upcoming season!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE