MORE
Musky Fishing

What other lures would you recommend?

10/21/13 @ 3:07 PM
INITIAL POST
FishFinder87
FishFinder87
User since 2/8/11
Hello, Longtime angler, but am relatively new to the musky addiction. Have collected about 50 lures thus far and have tried to get a decent assortment so I have a little bit of everything so I hopefully have the right type of lure for any time of day, any season, any weather, on any body of water I'll likely be fishing (mostly northern Wisconsin lakes with an occasional trip on the bay of Green Bay). I think I've got a decent start, but please let me know what you think is missing, any particular type of lure I've missed, or any other "must-have" lures you'd recommend and why. Also feel free to make any comments or bits of advice. This has quickly become an expensive hobby and addiction.. now looking for my next fix. TL;DR? Please have a look at my lure collection and let me know if you'd recommend any other lures. Thanks!
What other lures would you recommend? photo by FishFinder87
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
1/17/14 @ 6:21 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
Any new baits new for this year, that look good? My brother designed the new Musky Innovations Under Dawg that is new for this year. It has two tails and runs deeper. He had one made for me with my handle molded into the tail.
11/9/13 @ 6:39 PM
Nick Schumacher
Nick Schumacher
User since 1/10/05
FishFinder87, Some of my favorite lures are: baby-sized Shallow Raider, jointed Shallow Raider, baby-sized Depth Raider, jointed Depth Raider, Depth Raider, 5-8 inch Crane, 6-10 inch Storm Kickin' Minnow, Krave Jr., Jake, Grandma, Cisco Kid (Wrangler and 600 series), Suick Thriller, Mepps Giant Killer, Fuzzy Duzzit (small and normal size), and normal 7oz Bondy Bait. I have other lures that I use here and there, but the ones I listed I would recommend to anyone, whether they be beginner or pro. That's a pretty big list I just created, actually (16 lures). I've had great success on all of them. The bottom line is that you can have success with almost any lure you want once you really learn how to work the lure and you gain confidence in it. However, you WILL need lures that cover different areas of the water column. For example, you can whip a bucktail all day long, regardless of size, but it won't grant you access to certain fish.
11/4/13 @ 9:22 AM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
User since 8/25/08
I'm not sure where you fish but I've had tremendous success on the Wisconsin River and Madison chain using squirkos and especially baby squirkos. 31 fish in the bag so far this year throwing them. I love throwing jerkbaits and these seem to really do the trick.
11/3/13 @ 10:04 PM
paullo19
User since 12/23/06
i would add the following.Cranks/twitch baits: 8" Jake,10" Jake,7" Crane,Shallow Invader,Jointed shallow raider HI Suick for a jerk bait. Topwater: Hawg Wobbler,Topper stopper,creeper,weagle and a LeLure globe. No such thing as too many baits!!!
11/3/13 @ 9:33 PM
Thrillz
User since 7/7/06
My last 5 Muskies have come on a Salmo Skinner. Relatively unknown bait, but it is my go to bait any time of year. you can fish it high and low, fast or slow. very versatile and nice color patterns. Fire tiger and Perch patterns are best. Great trolling bait also. Just sharing.
10/27/13 @ 5:24 AM
rapture
User since 2/15/06
Only lures id add to this collection are J-mac jigs with shad trailers and a pike/musky sized spoonplug or two for trolling. J-macs are killer for heavy cover and for finesse fishing when nothing else seems to get em eating. Spoonplugs are killer for getting down when theyre sitting deep. Hope this helps.
10/24/13 @ 12:17 PM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
FishFinder 87 If you are looking for something in particular I can probable make you a deal on something I may not be using. Your messanger is turned off or I would PM you. PM me if you are interested.
10/24/13 @ 12:15 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01
I've had success with the Shallow Invader.
10/24/13 @ 12:13 PM
FishFinder87
FishFinder87
User since 2/8/11
Not exactly the response I expected.. Seems the consensus is that I'm all set. Thanks for the responses though, have a couple to look for anyway..
10/23/13 @ 2:37 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
" muskie nut, I've seen pictures of your storage system and I think you have Rollie and Helen's beat! " I know, I know. I just cant help myself. But I rarely use more than a 1/2 doz per outing. Now when I get a winning raffle ticket at a club meeting, I grab a kid and have him grab a new bait for himself. The guy clearly has all the bases covered and depending on where he fishes, I feel he doesn't need more. Just needs to get out and use the ones he has. And you know, "what I know now" I could probably get by with fewer than 50 baits. But since I have all these.........
What other lures would you recommend? photo by muskie nut
10/23/13 @ 11:45 AM
KenK
User since 6/19/01
muskie nut, I've seen pictures of your storage system and I think you have Rollie and Helen's beat! I have 4 big tackle boxes full of baits, a couple 5 gallon buckets and some smaller boxes all full and I use maybe 5 at most on any given day! Ken K
10/22/13 @ 12:12 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
I totally agree with B Fish" Many guys me included have accumulated 100s of baits and to be honest it has turned into a pain in the butt keeping all of them organized and available. Most of the time a guy only uses a handful on each give day anyway and you can't remember what you all have. " Looks like you got it well covered.
10/22/13 @ 8:31 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Why so many baits? You'll end up only using 10% of what you have now. The "I'll have something for every situation" mindset is common. This past weekend I surpassed the 65 fish on the year mark. I've only used four baits all season long. A hellhound, a DDD, an x-glide, and a recon. Cooler spring than we've been used to, extended heat in July, wicked end of July cold front, another warm up, had frost formed in my boat this weekend....fished lakes, backwaters, small rivers, large rivers, Green Bay, fished during the night, middle of the day. And everything in between. Many different situations....only needed four baits. Location has been the key, bait choice was farther down the list of why those fish ate. Take 200 baits to a place where no muskies live, I'll take my four to where they do live and be more successful.
10/22/13 @ 6:48 AM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
Save your money and space in the boat. You look to have what you need. (Bucktails, double 10, top water, jerk baits, shallow and deep cranks, dawgs) Spend your money on some top quality reels if you don't have them. Many guys me included have accumulated 100s of baits and to be honest it has turned into a pain in the butt keeping all of them organized and available. Most of the time a guy only uses a handful on each give day anyway and you can't remember what you all have. When I go fishing with a buddy for an evening in his boat I never bring all my baits, just a handful and I still feel confident. I see no reason why you will not catch fish with what you have. My two cents.
10/22/13 @ 2:14 AM
Max Rap
User since 12/29/12
-3/4 oz grim reaper spinnerbait because it's an in between size that works when nothing else will. Also catches everything from early season till mid-September. If nothing is hitting this you're in for a long day. -Tally whacker because it offers a different sound that when twitched or sped up periodically will trigger strikes(especially when you see the loaf of bread sized wake behind it). It acually sounds like a Cisco Kid when twitched except louder(DEADLY)I learned this technique while watching a musky blow up several times on a bobber while bluegill fishing. I try to imitate what the bobber was doing everytime the musky blew up and the hook was set again causing the musky to hit the bobber even harder each time until finally cutting my paniking wives line. Bloop!!! bloop!!!!! bloop!!!! reel a few feet normal speed bloop!!bang! fish on! I started doing this out of desperation after having 8 follows and speeding up/keeping the same retreive did not work. Be sure to upgrade the hooks or you will be in for some real heartbreakers. The topraider probably works better at tiggering fish to strike on the straight retreive again because of it's unique sound and come with good hooks out of the box. Seen you already have those, can't go wrong with that choice either. -5/8 oz. J-mac jig and 8" reaper tail for a trailer. Another good choice all season during cold front conditions or when they are less likely to come up to eat under high pressure. -JB Rattler or any larger lipless crank. Works good early season. -Good luck with your shopping.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE