MORE
Ice Fishing

What is the best ice shanty?

10/8/15 @ 1:57 PM
INITIAL POST
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06
What is the best 1 person ice shanty? All i want to be out of the wind, have it be light, after having a frabill weighing a ton, i'd never buy another 2-3man ever. I would think those pop up tents are junk. Heard Clam Otter are among the best. Seen a frabill recon very reasonable online and esikimo as well what is the best priced shanty? PM me since i don't pay attention to most of the junk that is said on this site, just a lot childishness trash talking or lies about fish caught is most what i have seen.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
11/20/15 @ 7:05 AM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
User since 4/1/12
otter hands down the best shack on the market, the 1 man is big enough for a adult and a child if needed while still having enough room for 2 holes if fishing solo. the best tents on the market and the strongest poles out there. the tubs are very strong, deep, and now grey this year for finding stuff easier. you get what you pay for now a days and I would buy nothing but an otter. have owned mine for 6 seasons now and still looks and performs like it was day 1 brand new.
11/19/15 @ 12:58 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
The Frabill Ranger Solo also has the upright wind position, but if it's blowing more than 5-10mph you'd better anchor it or have it out of the wind next to your truck.
11/18/15 @ 6:00 PM
wiel0059
User since 6/20/14
I use an Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno. Works great for me, love the expandable front for more fishing area can very easily have 2-3 holes plus my flasher, I don't ever use a heater because with the thermal and my Striker gear I don't need it to be honest. If I did, it would fit. I also love the wind position you can put it in. The wind position was critical for me when purchasing a new shack and not many one-mans had this option - greatly increases how much I use it and the versatility. There are a lot of days where I don't need / want to be covered by flipping all the way over, but love to block the wind so its easier to jig. I use this all the time.
11/18/15 @ 12:56 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
I have the Frabil Commando with the seat and the weight is still manageable. I am a big guy and it has enough room to fish reasonably comfortably. I am answering this in spite of the original poster's attitude. Most people don't insult the very people that they are asking for help. Hope this helps and I hope he finds some manners. Mrt.
11/18/15 @ 12:56 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
IMO, the Frabill Recon is extremely narrow. You'll be fishing one line only unless you like to pass the time unraveling lines. I use a Frabill Ranger Solo. At 48" wide, I can easily fish 2 holes without tangling unless I'm in some really deep water (over 25'). Room in the tub for a heater, and still room on the ice for minnow bucket/fish bucket. I agree, not the best choice in a stiff wind, but any 1-man shack will get blown around if not anchored or placed behind a truck. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore so you have to do some looking to find one.
11/18/15 @ 12:27 PM
kickflip
kickflip
User since 1/5/09
I have a Frabill Commando (I think?) with NO seat and it is really light. I use either a pail or a light foldable aluminum framed seat for just a couple lbs. I put the hyfax runners on and the ease of pulling completely offsets any added weight, and helps keep it in place when wind blows from side. I will say that the 1-man flip overs really want to take off in the wind. I won't leave mine flipped up unless I bury the flaps and tub AND the auger is in it, and sometimes that isn't enough. Hate to do it, but may drill trough the bottom this year and use ice anchors.
10/20/15 @ 6:32 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
The best way to choose anything is to be an informed buyer. The best way to compare most ice fishing products is to go to The Saint Paul Ice Show this December. All of the major manufacturers are there willing to show you what they have. You can sit in all off the ice shacks and know exactly what you are buying. And you do get what you pay for. The vendors that sell will give a better price than what they normally sell things for. Take everybody's opinions with and make the right choice for what type of fishing you will do. Afterall, you are the one that will be using it.
10/20/15 @ 1:36 PM
Brad Hawthorne
Brad Hawthorne
User since 4/22/12
Lots of options out there, my best advice is find one that fits your fishing and durability needs. What has always help me is going to the retailer and lining up the houses that you're interested in and start the elimination process. With that being said, make sure the new Otter hideout is in that line up.
10/13/15 @ 11:36 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Lot of good houses out there. What is the best, the best is determined by you based on many different factors. I would suggest that you look at all the different parts of a house and then you decide. Do you want insulated or not, look at the material, is it tightly woven or loosely woven. How are the poles, aluminum or steel, small or large? How do the buttons work for pull over houses. On pop ups are the glass poles small or oversize. What about the hubs, again small or oversize. What is in the hub, plastic or a steel ball? Sled, what is the sled like, does it fit your needs? Seats, on a pull over house, does it have a seat, and do you like it, is it comfortable? Zippers, are the zippers small and prone to misalignment, or are they over size zippers. How does the house set up, easily, or difficult? Does everything come together nicely? If its a pop up hose, is the storage bag oversize, or just tight. How much does the house weigh? Last but not least, price, does it fit into your budget? I promote Eskimo Houses and augers. I happen to think that they are some of the best. Does that mean the others are no good, of course not. I will not slam some other producter to make an Eskimo look better, however I will point out the differences as I have done above and let you make that decision.
10/13/15 @ 10:13 AM
MnLegendpro211
MnLegendpro211
User since 9/11/12
http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/shelters/fish-trap/1-man/kenai-pro-thermal.html Hands down the best one man for the money.
10/12/15 @ 11:19 AM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
Yep that's what it's called. I had a brain fart. Sitting at work for two more days then its vacation time for a couple of weeks for hunting
10/12/15 @ 9:16 AM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
I have the Otter 650 yes it does have some weight but I built a Jenny Sled and the weight is not a issue. Look on line for Jenny sheds
10/9/15 @ 12:46 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
After assessing the tone of the original post I'm tempted to give a snarky response loaded full of negativity and assumptions in order to stay at the level where the bar has been set. Anyway....the best portable is the one that suits your fishing needs. Some prefer flip overs, some prefer hubs, and for some it doesn't matter. I've had a Clam Hub for 8 years and after very heavy use it has held up very, very well. So no, it's not junk. Assuming that they are is false. Besides, if you don't abuse your equipment it is going to last longer. I walk into a number of carry in lakes with tricky access so a hub is ideal due to it's weight. Dragging a flip over on a sled through brush isn't going to be nearly as easy as flipping a hub over my shoulders and carrying it in. It's not as mobile once it's set up but you learn to deal with it and they actually aren't that bad setting up/taking down once you get the hang of it. The Bay Runner is an intriguing piece of equipment and reviews on other sites have been mainly positive. Again, this could be the best unit if it suits your fishing style...or a flip over could be best for you....or a traditional flip-over could be best. There are ways to solicit others for their input without being negative.
10/9/15 @ 9:51 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Anyone use the shapperel bay runner?
10/8/15 @ 8:35 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01
I really don't like to spread negative opinions but..... I currently own four Clam ice shacks. The flip overs have served me well and the 6x6 hub shack is so roomy and easy to set up. My problem is with Calm's customer "no" service. Try to order replacement parts. It takes several calls to get a call back and when customer service does call back it's like they are doing me a huge favor if they have what I need. Because of my experience with them I would buy anything other than Clam. I just wonder if Dave Genz has a clue how the company is being run. I'm sorry for the negativity, just my opinion.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE