SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

What did this?

3/11/12 @ 11:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Herky
User since 6/12/03
So the wife and I are out on our property in Sauk Co. Wisconsin to check some deer cameras and we came across these trees all chewed up. The trees are dead and quite rotten. I've never seen this before and not sure what did it. The trees are 8 inches in diameter and appear to be chewed on one side half way through. The shavings look like beaver except they came from five to 8 feet off the ground. You can see what looks to me like teeth marks of a beaver type animal that appear to be 2 inches wide or so. I doubt its manbearpig, yeti or chewcabera. Maybe porcupine? Not familiar with them. So what did this?
What did this? photo by Herky
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
3/18/12 @ 10:34 PM
Rifleman1962
Rifleman1962
User since 4/16/11
Its a Wood pecker,i have video's of that one in Wisconsin in my woods and it ripped apart my tree and stump,They Hammer their head so hard and woods fly's in such big junks it make your head hurt watching them.
3/18/12 @ 9:42 PM
Herky
User since 6/12/03
Almost got some 10 second videos of the culprit which I believe to be a pileated woodpecker. I'm not ruling out the climbing pigs though Lips Sealed until I get some concrete evidence. Today it looked like some fresh wood chunks on the ground. I pull the card and the computer says I have some corrupt files and do I want to fix them. I click yes and find on the card video number 11 which is me opening the camera. Apparently fixing the files wiped out the first 10 Puke. Probably the bearpecker, woodpecker, bear, climbing pig, porcupine and at least 5 others on there.
3/18/12 @ 7:52 PM
CATCHIN
CATCHIN
User since 7/11/07
i've seen bear do that alot in spring when they seek out the sweet sap from maples.A porky will girdle tree, not take chunks like that,and although i've seen some beavers that could chew at five feet , never any that could chew at 8 ft. up.
3/18/12 @ 5:17 PM
SPLITSHOTTER
SPLITSHOTTER
User since 3/12/06
I can't argue with Bags.... but in my LA experience,(thats LOWER ADAMS) those trees and the damage to them looks to be from the biggest woodpecker in the pecker family. The Pilleated Woodpecker. sp? SPLIT
3/18/12 @ 11:23 AM
OUTDOORSMAN50
User since 10/15/09
870 that picture sure brings back that morning!! Wink Tounge Out
3/18/12 @ 11:10 AM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
User since 5/24/03
I also saw a sandwich dance on TV. Mine just lays on the plate no matter what music I play. Cool
3/18/12 @ 8:47 AM
User since 1/2/11
and by the way ...before i get any negative comments...Hogs can climb Bags......you are amazing!
3/17/12 @ 3:01 PM
novicefish
User since 8/28/09
Well folks...BagsBoy is right about climbing pigs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cdgGrUdvE guess he told us! Wink Blush
3/17/12 @ 2:44 PM
OUTDOORSMAN50
User since 10/15/09
It was Bow Season, I had just walked in quietly in the early morning dark, Climbed up into my deer stand and the woods settled down,Right at first light I hear a loud squeel, look up and that fat old climbing hog started down the tree, Grunting and heading for the swamp... It was just like a movie or a dream or something....
3/16/12 @ 6:32 PM
Ham25
User since 8/9/11
Yep, I knew it! Thanks for coming up with the perfect answer BAGS.
3/16/12 @ 2:34 PM
OUTDOORSMAN50
User since 10/15/09
Twenty years ago I killed a climbing hog in Waupaca County, He was 15 feet above my deer stand looking down at me. At first I thought it was a very fat squirrel.... LOL Tounge Out Blush
3/14/12 @ 2:17 PM
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10
Well, it took me a while to open up to it, but I just made my first subscription to a user. BAGS FARMBOY, you sir, are a genius.
3/13/12 @ 10:11 PM
BAGS FARMBOY
BAGS FARMBOY
User since 9/26/11
and by the way ...before i get any negative comments...Hogs can climb...Ive seen em jump fences taller than me. get ready Wisconsin for Hogfest!~ Its a Com'n like roaches and rats.
3/13/12 @ 10:07 PM
BAGS FARMBOY
BAGS FARMBOY
User since 9/26/11
That my friend is pure and simple, Wild hog, They take there tusks and teeth to rip it up and suck the juice out of the bark. there out of control now and they breed twice as much as rabbits.. not just here in small numbers but all over the US of A. Noone belives me but there tricky, sneaky and deadly and can out smart most Humans. Thats why Texas has 2.9 Million now. Better get your ammo ready for hog season in Wisconsin.! He He...
3/13/12 @ 3:16 PM
AlumaDoo
User since 4/12/09
That's from sasquatch chasing the piliated 'peckers up the tree. Sasquatch gets up that high, then keeps scratching trying to get up higher so the cougars on the ground don't get HIM. But alas, the cougar climbs the tree after both the beast and the bird, and this is what ya get when all three critters are chasing one another around and around and around the tree. It's a vicious cycle...without a winner. Or maybe it's really just the bird to begin with.....
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE