Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

PONTOON RENTAL BUSINESS

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

cedarlake
cedarlake
Level: General User
2/12/10 2:26 AM CST
I am looking into starting a Pontoon Rental Business that delivers around the area I live with having 5 lakes with in 15 miles away. I will not say the name of the business yet (LAKE LINK I WILL ADVERTISE WITH YOU IN THE FUTURE). There is nothing like this in my area at all. I would deliver the Pontoon in the morning (8-10) at a serviceable landing and then pick up later that night (5-6). I looked into the insurance and it is not that bad. The boat will have a 4 stroke engine quite and gas efficient. Corner and side bumpers for those who do not know how to dock or if windy. The lakes are 100-160 acre. There is alot of other information but my question is this... Do you think in todays economy familys, friends, workers, parties would pay $200-$225 a day for a 2009 24' pontoon? (Gas and delivery already included in the price)

Mike Oxbyg
See Profile
3/16/10 4:04 PM CST
There is a service like this in the Minocqua/Eagle River area. If you google it it will show up. The area up there can obviously support the operation based on resorts and campgrounds. Over $200 for a full day on relatively small lakes may be a bit much. The service mentioned above is a bit less than that and you get a full day on a couple of the nice chain of lakes in the country.

cedarlake
cedarlake
2/26/10 4:49 AM CST
That is another reason why I would like to start the business. Why do some even own a boat anymore? With reasons like no time, no money, boats broke...... Why do SOME not all people pay for insurance, boat storage, maintenance, registration, when they never use their boat. If you lived on a lake then could not afford the taxes and had to sell but would like to enjoy something that you were brought up on when you were a kid, here is the chance w/out owning a boat. Just one more reason.

[This post was last edited on 2/26/10 at 4:52 AM]
welch1
See Profile
2/22/10 3:53 PM CST
I own a pontoon....It is in the water in Door county....and last year we took it for a ride ummm 3 times...I would never rent one, and wonder why I own one....Good Luck!

Roobob
Roobob
2/20/10 11:13 AM CST
Could you leave boats at various lakes or resorts??????? I would make them NO thrill and easy to clean. Are they party boats of fishing boat??????

Good Luck

cedarlake
cedarlake
2/18/10 12:52 AM CST
Like repump said my idea is more for a party boat not fishing. The main lake is 160 acre and there is a restaurant on it. The lake is also long so it can take time while at a cruise speed. Thanks again for the replies.

Chauncey421
See Profile
2/12/10 3:51 PM CST
Another thing --

The area you're interested in focusing on -- are there a lot of resorts around? Because otherwise, I don't see where the demand would be coming from. Its not as if people are sitting at home, thinking "man, I wish I could go fishing right now, if only I had a boat." Those people already have boats. And if you are focusing on resorts, the resorts are probably going to want a cut.

And I think most of your business would be pleasure-boaters, not fishermen. Because if you are focusing on resorts, etc, if they wanted to fish, you'd be looking at supplying them with gear and bait as well, its not like they'd have that in their suitcases....

Rempump870
See Profile
2/12/10 1:13 PM CST
Price seems to be fair. I have rented pontoons for a lot more than that. It was also a lot bigger lake with more demand. We were renting them for a party boat and not fishing.

The size of lakes might hurt you. I think you will want bigger lakes with more going on like restaurants,bars and things like that. I am not sure people would rent a pontoon to fish such a small lake.

Chauncey421
See Profile
2/12/10 8:14 AM CST
Agreed about the size of the lakes. My cousin has (I believe) a 2009 18 foot pontoon with a 60 horse motor. He's on 120 acre lake, takes us about 6 min to get from one side to the other (and thats going the long way) at medium throttle...

alaska123
See Profile
2/12/10 7:44 AM CST
Depends on the area and what lakes are included. 100 acre lake kind of small.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook