Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

predator hunting--2012

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

CATCHIN
CATCHIN
Level: General User
1/3/12 6:31 AM CST
Anyone been predator hunting lately or planning one, would like to hear your stories, methods etc..

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 31
CATCHIN
CATCHIN
2/23/12 3:22 PM CST
cajuncheese, i've used everything from .22 mag to slug, my .223 is a tack driver at 300 yds. last on was with the bow, very fun..he was fixated on the mojo, turned away....sweet

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
2/22/12 9:13 PM CST
223 works great also! Wink

walisoup
walisoup
2/22/12 6:25 PM CST
hey cajun and mr pike thats for the input! This weekend im going to go and look around and hopefully find one I like.

cajuncheese
cajuncheese
2/21/12 7:58 PM CST
CATCHIN... Most guys that I hunt with or talk to seem to use a .223 and 25-06. .22 mags also seem to do the trick. With bigger loads like 30-06 I would recommend shooting in head so you do not ruin the pelt. I like using 00 Buckshot personally becuase I hunt in thick stuff and it gives me a little leniency. Just my two cents... Cajun

walisoup
walisoup
2/21/12 6:28 PM CST
Just a question for you guys... I just got into yotee hunting this year and last weekend i called in 2 and shot them both. My question is what do you guys recommend for a gun ( caliber) I dont have alot of money that I can spend on one. I have been using my 300 wsw and both coyotes were under 100 yards away, needless to say there pelts were junk. I also have a 6.5x20x50 vortex viper scope that I won and just looking for a decent setup. Any help would help!

cajuncheese
cajuncheese
2/21/12 9:36 AM CST
Bilys- Cool story! That's usually how it happens. Every once and awhile you get some fast paced action! I had one full moon night that just seemed like every spot I called a coyote came into view. I ended up shooting 4 that night. Even in spots that I never had much luck.

If you have one experience like those thats all it takes and you will bear the cold and not seeing any for hundreds of set ups just to have that action one more time! Good luck... Cajun

bilysgtagun19
See Profile
2/20/12 10:56 PM CST
Heck of a shot Cajuncheese. That must have been a rush. My brother and I went out last saturday just before light. As we were walking out there we heard two diffrent coyotes in seperate directions, howling. We thought ok nice. Lets not screw this up. We know they around and close. So we set up about 30 yards apart from each other and sat quiet for about 15 minutes. Right at first light we hear these yotes howling again. After a couple howls my brother hits the rabbit call a couple times. Two minutes later i see one moving across the pond we are overlooking. It was running right at the sound of the call. Boom my brother shoots, it does a 360 and yelps pretty loud, runs 50yds and crashes. So he keeps calling and sure enough 30 seconds later another runs out on the ice. Boom and the thing runs off and this time he didn't crash. He said he was shaking so bad. Thats why he missed. Oh well we all miss. After that I scan the area again to see another one standing about 300 yards away. This time he knew something was not right and ran off. I wish everytime time out was like this, but its not. In the 5 years of hunting this spot, weve only killed two. In NE Waukesha county. Good Luck to everybody.

cajuncheese
cajuncheese
2/15/12 7:04 PM CST
I killed my first coyote with a bow this fall in Crawford County. I was walking back to my truck in a hayfield. As I edged near a farmers trail I saw a glimpse of a coyote walking with his nose to the ground. I stepped behind a large oak and drew my bow. I made some kissing smacking noises with my lips and thats all it took. I heard him stop for a moment and he bee lined right towards me. As I heard him near I stepped around tree and he was looking right at me about 20 yards away. I took a shot and thought I shot under him. He jumped straight up in the air and fell down to the ground. He never took a single step. Couldn't believe it. I have hit 4 or 5 of them with my bow and they always seemed to get away.

Fuzzy one
See Profile
2/9/12 8:17 PM CST
I'm fairly new to coyote hunting.are they starting the mating season now or soon and if so do I need to change up the way I go after them? which is a electronic call (rabbit,distress)with the mojo bunny. Any tips?? thanks

bassinassasin
See Profile
2/9/12 11:50 AM CST
Here is a new custom call I made. It cost me $60 in total and it plays mp3 sound files off an Ipod or like device. Can pre make calling sequences and let its do its job.

DLAMA2
See Profile
1/30/12 3:39 PM CST
What predators are capable of chewing through a cable restraint?

Bill,

Do you put swivels on your restraints? They are a must....along with your traps also. Two swivels before your anchor will help.

No swivels.......they can twist and get leverage....you name it.

USMCwis
See Profile
1/29/12 7:45 PM CST
Was out Lastnight and this morn. Found new tracks over my boots tracks from lastnight. Seem to have a issue with its left leg looks like it drags it a bit. Going to hunt it again on tues night

steelhead stalker
See Profile
1/28/12 7:52 PM CST
Went 0 for 3 this morning, seen 1 yote and 2 fox. Had one of the fox's at 45 yds and gun miss-fired, other dogs we were not able to make a setup on due to the wind and location so let them walk for another hunt.

Was a great day out, if you don't mind the cold.

Ozuakee/Sheboygan Co.

S.S.

Wink

Mr.Propane
Mr.Propane
1/26/12 8:07 PM CST
I am new to this as well. My question is how long do you call a certain call (rabbit distress, yote pup, etc.) one minute, two minutes, 10 minutes?

Satellite
Satellite
1/25/12 8:36 PM CST
Does anyone use the Mojo Critter Decoy? I'm thinking about getting one and just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 31
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook