Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

released wolves

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Top Dawg
Top Dawg
Level: General User
3/17/09 10:07 PM CST
i was talking to my dad and he said that the DNR released 2 wolves by Zituo, and they also released 2 more on the south side of lake poygan. Just wondering what your view is. And should the DNR released them without telling any one.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 34
MJPOPP
See Profile
4/23/09 8:47 PM CST
There are way to many in the state. Only good one is a dead one.

bucksnbear
bucksnbear
3/24/09 8:09 PM CST
Beavers are kind of an intelligent animal. I can see how they skillfully direct their chutes to pond then gnaw the parachute cords off, swim down to the bottom and tie the chute to submerged roots. I'm sure then they would plan their attack on the trees damn creeks and triple there size of the pond that he landed in.

DLAMA2
See Profile
3/24/09 6:54 PM CST
I do not think the DNR come out and said there are no cougars in WIS.......but they said they was no breeding pairs if I am not mistaken. I might be wrong but I have asked the question a few times to the DNR and they never said zero cougars.........remember last year the one shot by Chicago? That one was in WIS also. SO why is everyone so shocked? or in the told ya so mode?

Yes the DNR did move some problem wolves around....until 2003 when they could "take care" of them because like BB said......their hands were tied.

aplonsky
aplonsky
3/24/09 4:19 PM CST
"Cougars, ok...I've heard about that a few times."

From 1991 to 2003 there were an average of 6 mountain lion attacks per year across the country, with approximately one being fatal every year. Contrast that with the rate of deaths from auto accidents, which is ~43,000 each year. I know which I'll be watching for when I step out the door...

hook, line&sinker
See Profile
3/24/09 11:47 AM CST
You don't know what the DNR is up to doing. It wasn't very long ago they said there were no cougars in Wisconsin. About 5 years ago I notified the head of the wolf program there were wolves in the area we hunt. At the time he wasn't even aware of there being any wolves where we hunt. Obviously there estimations of wolves, deer and bear are way off the mark. A few months ago they had a program about a wolf stalking and killing a man in Canada. Since there is no control on these predators you can bet it will happen here eventually. I'm for concealed carry of handguns when you need protection.

augie2
augie2
3/24/09 9:47 AM CST
I'm with you dirtman...this stuff cracks me up. I can't believe the stuff people come up with when they see (or thought they saw) something unusual. I would love to see a beaver thrown from a plane in some sort of covert DNR operation. Not to say the DNR hasn't made some bad choices or that they have proven with their bear and deer population estimates that they don't know nearly as much about population numbers as they pretend to, but c'mon now. That can be explained though, estimate models are only as accurate as the assumptions plugged into them.

Every time I see the "what happens with a kid disappears" comment, I wonder where people started thinking that wolves routinely prey on humans. Cougars, ok...I've heard about that a few times. Same situation with guys that insist they will never go into the woods bow hunting without a side-arm...give me a break. Not that I care if someone has a side-arm with them, but the dangerous part of hunting is people not using their head...not animals trying to turn you into dinner.

[This post was last edited on 3/24/09 at 9:51 AM]
Dirtman
See Profile
3/24/09 9:06 AM CST
Quotes I've heard from citizens of this great state at public meetings in front of large crowds.

"The DNR parachutes beavers into (insert waterbody name here) , I wouldn't believe if I didn't see with my own eyes."

"You know that river wouldn't be there if it wasn't for that dam."

"The DNR Relased cougars to control the deer heard because of CWD."

Hope you all enjoyed the comedy relief provided by the great Bar Stool Bilogists of our state.

Waterjoe
See Profile
3/24/09 8:29 AM CST
Top Dawg,

You are mistaken. When did this guy say it all took place?

The only reason I ask is because 4 years ago about this time the same rumor was flying around, probably started by the same drunk. So if you think this just happened, you're sorely mistaken, either that or this drunk has seen the DNR do this multiple times then. Highly unlikely.

speyman
speyman
3/24/09 7:46 AM CST
This thread reminds me of the tent caterpillar outbreak we had up here in Vilas county several years ago. The caterpillars exploded in population and defoliated acre upon acre of forest. The next year, we were swarmed by millions of tachinid flies, which are parasites of the caterpillars......typical predator prey relationship. However, the brain trust up here came up with this theory that the government was air dropping the flies at night to kill off the tent caterpillars. It got to a point where everyone was calling them....Government flies. I love these tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists...very entertaining.

Uncle Fester
Uncle Fester
3/21/09 10:44 PM CST
Why, if there are wolves by Larson/ Winneconne, would they only be there because the DNR "released" them? There have been wolves around the Appleton area for years. One was hit and killed by a car just west of the Fox River Mall. If they are around Appleton, I'm sure they would be in that area as well.

Top Dawg
Top Dawg
3/21/09 8:36 PM CST
BUCKBRUSH..... QUIT TRING TO PROTECT THE DNR!!!!!!

THE DNR IS LIKE THE GOV'T. they do stuff that u never hear about until something happens and the press needs a reason for why it happened. just cause they say that they didn't do it doesn't mean that they didn't do it. Dull Dull Dull

buckbrush
buckbrush
3/20/09 2:51 PM CST
If I'm not mistaken, the DNR has always been able to kill them.

Euthanasia of depredating wolves was not allowed until April of 2003, when they were downlisted to "threatened". Federal permits were required, just as they are today.

When wolves are completely delisted and managed under the state plan, landowners can apply for shooting permits if they've had chronic issues, and wolves can be shot without a permit if they are engaged in depredation or bold/ threatening behavior on private lands.

Top Dawg
Top Dawg
3/20/09 1:45 PM CST
my dad's friend saw one of the wolves that were released out by poygan where the duck inn used to be. In fact four people i know saw at least the one wolf. one guy said he pulled out of his drive way and it was probablly 15 yards beyond his mail box. Sweating I want to know wat the dnr is going to do when someone's kid gets nabbed while in the backyard. Then there will be a lot of explaining and back pedaling. buck brush one of the guys that said he had saw it has a game farm up north and he said the thing he saw was definetally a wolf. so unless they swam across poygan how did they get here. i want to know why the dnr just didn't come out and tell every body about their plan before they did it. Sad Sad Sad Crying Sweating

buckbrush
buckbrush
3/20/09 1:37 PM CST
It was never really adopted as "standard practice" because it didn't work - the animals never stayed where they were supposed to, so it was a failed experiment at non-lethal control.

The attempts at translocation were driven by the fact that Wildlife Services was unable to euthanize problem wolves under the strict protection of the ESA. As far as I know translocation was only tried a few times between 2000-2002.

WS is now able to get special permits to euthanize depradating animals, even when they are operating under ESA rules. The access to kill permits was driven by the fact that all suitable wolf habitat is occupied by resident packs.

Even if translocation were viable, there are at least eight counties in N. Wisconsin that have passed ordinances against having translocated wolves released within their jurisdiction.

[This post was last edited on 3/20/09 at 2:37 PM]
PNYBUCK2
PNYBUCK2
3/20/09 1:01 PM CST
"They released several on Forest County several years back."

Thanks Buckbrush!

So at the time "several years back" it was standard practice. I would say it was in the late 90's that the wolfs were released by Armstrong Creek.

What changed in 2002? Do they now exist everywhere possible? Or is the DNR legally able to kill them now?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 34
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link.com find us on facebook