SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

OPINIONS

9/14/14 @ 12:04 PM
INITIAL POST
500sp
User since 4/4/10
plan on purchasing a good spinning reel any suggestions on brand and etc thanks guys for your opinions
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
10/13/14 @ 8:28 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Mid level Daiwa stuff is as nice as anything in their respective price range. I like the Lexa a lot.
10/13/14 @ 12:33 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
I've been running Abu Garcia's Revo's for a couple years now, and consider them as good as anything on the market. They've held up flawlessly. They are extremely smooth, anti-reverse is in the right spot to reach if you want to back reel while fighting a fish, and the line comes off the bail perfectly when casting.
10/11/14 @ 10:05 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
I hear good things about Pflueger Presidentials; I have also heard good things about Ardent supposedly having good spinning reels but they might be a pro only thing; never used either though. I have a handful of Shimanos, Shakespeares, and Mitchells and a few other random Pure Fishing brands of reels. All good reels for the price range that I have been able to purchase over the years. The bails close nicer on Shimanos if you don't manually close your bail; otherwise I personally like Mitchells better, my go to is the Mitchell 308 pro. Definitely go with the pro line if you go Mitchell, they just feel better.
10/5/14 @ 12:58 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
I agree with the Plueger Presidential. Great reel and a good price.
9/19/14 @ 6:28 AM
frozentoo
User since 7/27/12
PENN !! I've had a Slammer 360 and absolutely zero problems; other than fair wear & tear. They're a bit on the heavier side but worth every ounce IMO.
9/18/14 @ 2:11 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Haven't tangled with a species of fish yet that a Plueger Presidential couldn't handle. Set the drag proper and everything from gills to kings...it's been done. Just keep em lubed like any other...
9/18/14 @ 12:59 PM
Opie Taylor
User since 9/17/14
The Plueger Trion series are excellent budget reels.
9/18/14 @ 2:21 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
I was a Mitchell 300 guy for a long time but one of the issues with all Mitchels...awhile back, was the bail spring... if you didn't carry spares, your day may have been messed with When Shimano came out with their "no fail bail", it got my attention, so I tried one out..not sure how many years ago that was, but best guess is 15-20 I have been a fan of Shimano ever since, in the spinning reel arena... I have some Shimano baitcasters too, and they are great reels, but for the money, cannot beat Abu Garcia imo
9/17/14 @ 9:12 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
stay away from shimano and shakespere had a shimanos bearings go out in less than 1 season. and the shakespere fell apart in 2 trips
9/17/14 @ 3:32 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Just about every reel that I own other than my line counters for trolling are Abu Garcia's. I have several models of their spinning reels including Cardinals and Staminas. All have performed flawlessly for me. But I agree, most opinions will be based on what everyone uses.
9/16/14 @ 8:53 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
I have had good luck with pflueger. The old trions or newer presidents are decent.
9/16/14 @ 3:31 PM
Twister
User since 6/15/01
500 -- I have probably owned a dozen Mitchell 300. Most of them wore out after several years. I now have mostly shimanos. One thing I always look for is a reel that does not back up on me. The handles on A lot of the cheaper reels will back up so there is some play in there. After I close the bail I want the reel to be ready to go. Kind of hard to explain that, maybe somebody else can do a better job. Decide what you want the reel for. I use mostly ultralights because I primarily fish for bluegills and crappies. I also have a little heavier tackle for walleyes, bass and trolling. I forgot to mention the ones I have for ice fishing.
9/15/14 @ 8:38 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
" there is no point in buying expensive spinning reels, they are not that sophisticated of a product like bait caster. " I concur. I'd spend the money on a high end sensitive rod.
9/15/14 @ 6:24 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13
The Mitchell 300 is the highest rated and at a very reasonable price, they have been around forever, though I don't own one myself. Cabelas Verano series is my favorite, but kind of pricey at $150.
9/15/14 @ 1:27 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Shimano 4000 FD is my go to reel. Best quality for the price IMO
Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE