LOGIN
Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Trout Fishing in the Rain

4/20/11 @ 9:03 AM
ORIGNAL POST
ojaskifisherman
User since 9/7/10
Well Spring Break starts for me next week and instead of warm and sunny like I predicted, I will be stuck with cold and moisture.

Just wondering what peoples comments are about trout fishing in the rain. Obviously thunderstorms are a no go, but what about light or moderate rain.

I have been reading that fish tend to hug too the bottom. My other experiences with rain and fishing is worms usually like to come out with moisture. San Juan worm time??

thanks for any suggestions or comments.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/22/11 @ 7:13 PM
woollyworm
woollyworm
User since 12/14/07
I agree with Richie, when I was a wee trout fisher in the U.P. of Michigan, Grandpa would drop me off at the stream for an entire day of worm fishing on a small stream. If it poured rain or was a beautiful sunny day, he would pick me up at the end of the day either way. Those cloudy, rainy days were some of my best back then. I would be covered in mud from crawling on my belly up to the streams and catching those beautiful brook trout. Grandma was all smiles when I brought home a limit of trout for dinner.

4/21/11 @ 12:42 PM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
Pig.. that's awful! lol

4/21/11 @ 11:52 AM
waterpig
User since 4/29/03
Coulee...that is because youaren't nearly as old as Flytrap! anything colder than say 50 degrees his bones creaking will spook fish! Big Smile

4/21/11 @ 8:09 AM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
Fishing in the rain is the best. I love standing on a creek during a light rain and seeing the mist rise from the creek at eye level while slamming trout.

Granted getting wet and muddy isn't fun, but it is well worth it!

4/21/11 @ 7:55 AM
Flytrap
User since 1/29/08
I hate fishing in the rain. That's not because its harder to fish, quite the opposite. The rain cuts down glare from the sun, ripples the surface limiting the fishes ability to spot predators (you) and generally makes them less wary than normal. I just hate getting wet and muddy if I can avoid it, old, cold and damp just ain't that enjpoyable.

4/20/11 @ 8:18 PM
Richie S
User since 4/3/11
I should have typed "hurless nymph". Sometimes auto correct really messes things up.

4/20/11 @ 8:16 PM
Richie S
User since 4/3/11
I love fishing in the rain. Since the surface is broken, this allows you to get closer than you usually would. It also makes the fish feel more comfortable and some of the nocturnal fish will come out and feed if its dark enough coupled with a broken water surface = a great time. Pending if dropper rigs are allowed, I've found something big an ugly (hurls nymph) followed by something tiny (WD-40, zebra midge...etc etc) is a deadly technique. You're exactly right about the rain bringing out the worms. It also knocks insects out of the over hanging branches so pay attention to any bugs on the surface. I'd also be willing to bet that due to the rain you'll probably have the water to yourself.

Hope this helps, Richie

4/20/11 @ 7:52 PM
inland sweep
User since 6/2/09
Every time I see light rain in the forecast all I can thinking about is "I wish I was trout fishing" Rain normally = low pressure which means good fishing. As already stated it will bust up the surface a bit making fish less spooky. When the water starts to rise a little fish turn on and when the water starts coming down the fish will turn on as well. If the water is super high and muddy don't waste too much time.

4/20/11 @ 7:03 PM
waterpig
User since 4/29/03
Whats a little rain gonna hurt a fish...they are already wet! the drops of a light rain seem to spur some feeding activity...maybe washing insects into the water? never did good in a downpour though. also the rain breaks up the surface and it is tougher for them to see you approach.

4/20/11 @ 6:00 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
I love fishing in the rain. If you hit it right can be the trip of a lifetime but I guess that can be said for just about anything. I think they bite well but as you can see from some of the pics you can have a 30 40 trout day when the sun is out. I would stay high and dry. A chicken has the brain the size of a pea and even it has the sense to come in from the rain.

Big Smile

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.