MORE
Fly Fishing

Carp on the fly

5/18/04 @ 10:35 AM
INITIAL POST
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
This used to be on here, with the new format, it must have been lost. Has anyone else been doing this? Carp are great fun on the flyrod and with the fact that they are so widespread, there almost has to be a good population close to home. When you hook one, it's like hooking a truck, you'll see you backing just about everytime

Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts
8/1/14 @ 9:29 PM
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart
User since 2/1/14
What a hoot on the 5 weight! Probably more time than you really need to spend on a yarn fly, but the Antron Egg or Nuclear Egg has been working great. (For Steelhead too.....) http://flyfishingreporter.com/nuke-egg-antron-egg Cheers! JS
7/14/14 @ 1:31 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Check out the Multipurpose Carp hook from Allen Fly fishing.... Bet you won't straighten this one out.... http://www.allenflyfishing.com/mp002-multipurpose-stinger-carp-heavy-wire/
7/12/14 @ 11:03 AM
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart
User since 2/1/14
Got into a few yesterday evening. What a blast! Nice break from blind casting 10 weights and giant flies for Musky all day. In a back bay, we found small groups cruising near the surface with their mouths pointing up gulping. The water was pretty dirty. I put on a steelhead egg that I had for the Brule River still in my fly box. The egg was very visible in the muddy water, and more importantly it had a nice rate of decent so I could place the fly a couple feet in front of the cruising fish and it would be in position when they got to it. Cheers! Jason
7/9/14 @ 1:01 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
Jason, Sorry I missed your post for a couple weeks. The pattern is an Enrico Pulgisi fly. Send me an email via messenger and I will send you a link to the recipe and more....
6/16/14 @ 9:31 PM
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart
User since 2/1/14
nice fly. Is that one of your own? Or is there a pattern I can search on the internet to copy?...Smile
6/16/14 @ 9:21 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
I have caught many on this crawfish pattern....
6/14/14 @ 9:23 AM
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart
User since 2/1/14
Was out on the chippewa flowage last week, fishing with a couple of fisheries biologists (one DNR, and one US fish ad wildlife) during the LCO partners/packers day. While doing a little fly casting instruction in a clear water part of the lake LOADED with northern, we spied a sandy/gravely point that had half a dozen LARGE carp on it. I tried casting a crawdad fly (weighted such that it sinks with the hook point facing upward) on to the point, but even the fly line seemed to spook them. I wish I wasn't in the middle of a guide trip then, would have loved to spent the whole afternoon trying to get one to eat. I haven't spent much time fly fishing for carp, but I'm going to try to refine my presentation some. The biggest carp was a MONSTER (30-40 lb.) and I can only imagine what that fight would be like! Not sure I'll target carp specifically while fishing, but will be ready with a good set up when they present them selves like the other day.
6/7/14 @ 10:06 AM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
The Orvis website has some interesting information, including videos and how to features, for many fish, including carp. Included are recommended carp flies. Seeing these will at least give you ideas. I found a HUGE bunch of carp on the Madison chain and may go try for some in a lil bit here. Chuck
5/25/14 @ 11:03 AM
chickbeerfire
User since 3/30/07
Question. Ive noticed some schools of carp have been rolling in the shallow waters of the Madison Chain. Ive never fly'd for carp yet. So im wondering if this is the time try or is it better to wait till after theyre done spawning? Territorial fish or feed better after that horny ones had their fun? Thanks
5/22/14 @ 12:13 PM
Coulee_region_adventures
Coulee_region_adventures
User since 3/18/10
I know this isn't organic fly fishing; but I picked up a handful of craw-diddy flies from Roughfisher.com. I use ½ oz jig with a twister tail; tied on other end of the dropper (18 inches or so) is my craw-diddy fly. I like the jig because I fish deeper water, and it gets down to the fish fast. I just drag the dig/dropper on the bottom slowly (so slow it hurts). I'm having a blast lip hoooking carp- and love the challenge. It's nice to get away from corn and other messy baits that I've used in the past. This tread really inspired me to try using bugs. ONce I get a stiffer fly rod, I'll be more fly exclusive. In the mean time- it's all about the Benjamin's… and using my spin rod Smile
3/21/14 @ 10:42 AM
Lv'm & Lv'm
User since 5/13/11
I've can't help you, but I would try some guides up in the Two Rivers area. That's where they like to fish the Orange Bonefish and you may as well. An observation I made that made me laugh and helped me catch Carp on a fly on the Madison Chain...I watched Carp lined up under a Mulberry tree eating the ripe fruit dropping in the water. Tied up some berry flies and had a blast.
3/31/13 @ 12:41 PM
bluhog
bluhog
User since 2/20/10
I researched this just last week, it's on my to do list for 2013. Lots of carp flies available online. Anxious for open water! Had a friend many years ago that would smoke carp and it was pretty good.
9/23/12 @ 4:31 PM
fish kid12
User since 10/8/11
Never caught one before tried once in an oxbow lake in the mississippi but only caught dogfish and gar. Speechless
7/20/12 @ 12:35 AM
CR-appieWI-112
User since 3/27/09
Caught my first one on a fly. Next week caught 4 more. In marshall, WI
7/16/12 @ 9:12 PM
boloni007
User since 3/6/12
Jroosevelt, I just went fishing in the Milwaukee River today about half a mile upstream from Estabrook park. I ran into a lot of carp. I don't know how to fish for them and they wouldn't take my bass fliesTounge Out Message me for more info.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 162 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE